David Amerson

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
G4L

David Amerson

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 am

Kid has size and speed and can go up and get it. But if we put any trust in Mayock at all then this doesn't sound good..

NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes NC State CB David Amerson is a "boom or bust" kind of prospect.
"Junior year, 13 interceptions," Mayock said. "Senior year, probably gave up more vertical touchdowns passes than any corner I have ever seen in my life." Mayock said the puzzle is to figure out which corner you are getting, and that Amerson has some of the worst eye discipline he has seen, meaning he didn't trust what he saw in front of him. Amerson actually declared early for April's draft, but we agree with the rest of Mayock's points.
HAIL

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:52 am

I'm not as worried about this. He has the right position coach to correct his issue with eye discipline. I think that was the result of his incredible Junior year causing him to try WAY TOO HARD to match the performance his senior year... basically, getting into his own head.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:14 am

Countertrey wrote:I'm not as worried about this. He has the right position coach to correct his issue with eye discipline. I think that was the result of his incredible Junior year causing him to try WAY TOO HARD to match the performance his senior year... basically, getting into his own head.

Yes, this is a correct take on him over the past couple of years. He himself said so. HOWEVER, precisely for that reason he my not be able to start. He will be tested to bite on the best double moves WRs can show him in the NFL. He must play with great discipline and change his bad habits from last season.

At that pick, I thought that other CBs, such as Jamar Taylor from Boise State, would have had a better chance to start on week 1. Apparently, the upside of this guy is great with a tremendous athleticism and physical abilities but his potential downside was also raised by Mayock in NFL network: boom or bust.

I trust our scouts and I will follow this guy throughout the following months.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am

Of the analysts, I like Mayock. But, I also like what I have seen from Amerson. I think the kid set the bar so high with 13 picks, that he failed to surpass or meet that production. He was trying to get numbers rather than just playing. Isn't that what coaches are for?? I love the pick. Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

piglet

Postby skinsfb4life » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:01 am

I also was a bit shocked at first. I thought wow i believe there was better CBs out there. BUT he will be moving to FS and if you think about it that is a perfect move for a guy like that. He is a zone corner who is big and long. he will play that center field sometime down the road that we need and been missing since ST.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 am

skinsfb4life wrote:I also was a bit shocked at first. I thought wow i believe there was better CBs out there. BUT he will be moving to FS and if you think about it that is a perfect move for a guy like that. He is a zone corner who is big and long. he will play that center field sometime down the road that we need and been missing since ST.

Shanahan said that he's playing outside corner. Amerson was asked on ESPN980 if moving to safety had ever been discussed, and he said No. He's a corner, and a good one at that.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:He will be tested to bite on the best double moves WRs can show him in the NFL. He must play with great discipline and change his bad habits from last season

Sophomore jinx in his Junior year. In the breakout year, you're doing what you do. The next year you think it'll be easy and others adjust. Now rookie in the NFL, he'll be fine. His talent and smarts to play corner didn't go anywhere and his ego's been put back in place. I love when you get the best player available at your biggest position of need. Bam, that's what we got.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:37 pm

I agree great pick we did not over reach to get him. He has all the physical tools. WIth the right coaching and work ethic he will be fine.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Mike Mayock just softened his tone on Amerson. He referred to him as a 1st round corner. Said that although the Redskins didn't have a 1st round pick, they got a first round talent. He's hung up on his 2012 film, but said that if he plays like he did in 2011 he's more BOOM than BUST.

Raheem Morris will have this guy playing to his potential.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 pm

For those that don't know, I'm an NC State fan. I LOVE that we drafted Amerson. I even wanted us to draft Safety Earl Wolff who went to the eagles.

Amerson is a GREAT talent who got too cocky and had a terrible year. I think there may have been people who were in his head advising him to get as many picks as he can. It was apparent in the Tenn game when he was burned for two or three TDs. The issue after that was there were issues with the entire secondary and guys just seemed to be asked to do things last year they didn't do before. Amerson is a legit cover corner and last year they pretty much played zone to compensate for lack of LBs. I'm excited.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:25 pm

The Hogster wrote:Mike Mayock just softened his tone on Amerson. He referred to him as a 1st round corner. Said that although the Redskins didn't have a 1st round pick, they got a first round talent. He's hung up on his 2012 film, but said that if he plays like he did in 2011 he's more BOOM than BUST.

Raheem Morris will have this guy playing to his potential.

Nice.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

The Redskins are grooming No. 51 overall pick CB David Amerson to play on the outside.

Amerson has the size and ball-hawking skills to play safety, but he lined up almost exclusively at right corner in rookie minicamp this weekend. He has good speed (4.44 forty) and long arms (32 5/8"), and he's a very aggressive corner who likes to jump routes. Amerson led the nation with 13 interceptions in 2011 at NC State. The Redskins picked off 21 passes in 2012.

Source: Washington Post May 5 - 2:53 PM

CSN Washington reports No. 51 pick CB David Amerson's size, length and speed were "evident as he smothered receivers" in Redskins' rookie minicamp.

Amerson played mostly on the right side. Amerson is coming off a senior season where he was routinely burned, but coach Mike Shanahan believes his issues can be corrected. "We do a lot of things differently in our secondary," Shanahan said optimistically. "We think we can give him opportunities he hasn’t had in the past." Amerson is better suited for safety, but will get a chance to earn a starting cornerback job in camp.

Source: CSN Washington May 8 - 6:02 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 pm

DarthMonk wrote:The Redskins are grooming No. 51 overall pick CB David Amerson to play on the outside.

Amerson has the size and ball-hawking skills to play safety, but he lined up almost exclusively at right corner in rookie minicamp this weekend. He has good speed (4.44 forty) and long arms (32 5/8"), and he's a very aggressive corner who likes to jump routes. Amerson led the nation with 13 interceptions in 2011 at NC State. The Redskins picked off 21 passes in 2012.

Source: Washington Post May 5 - 2:53 PM

CSN Washington reports No. 51 pick CB David Amerson's size, length and speed were "evident as he smothered receivers" in Redskins' rookie minicamp.

Amerson played mostly on the right side. Amerson is coming off a senior season where he was routinely burned, but coach Mike Shanahan believes his issues can be corrected. "We do a lot of things differently in our secondary," Shanahan said optimistically. "We think we can give him opportunities he hasn’t had in the past." Amerson is better suited for safety, but will get a chance to earn a starting cornerback job in camp.

Source: CSN Washington May 8 - 6:02 PM

Most if not all the WR's he smothered will be working somewhere other than the NFL.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 09, 2013 6:03 am

yupchagee wrote:Most if not all the WR's he smothered will be working somewhere other than the NFL.

I think the writer and the rest of us realize that. I believe he was simply trying to relay that the kid not only stood apart but the degree to which he did was glaringly evident.

What would be worrisome is if those guys were giving him a decent level of competition.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

What's this "better suited for safety" even mean?
Seems like he is a damn good db and excells at cb, so unless the guys we got in the back aren't panning out, how's he better suited for a position he hasn't played?
#weird
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to NFL Draft 2013