Official 2013 Draft Thread

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Jawan Jamison looks like the real deal. That spin move at the 1:58 mark? Sick. Between him and Thompson, one of these guys should be the change of pace back we were looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ChWgdz6ls
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 pm

The Hogster wrote:Beast. And no better last name in the draft. R A M B O

How he lasted to the 191st pick is beyond me.

I think this is the end for Gomes and Bernstine. Doughty is the kind of guy you keep around just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMt4Y9Nt5bA

I have blasted doughty in the past for his obvious shortcomings, HOWEVER, I do not think his job is in jeapordy, not this year anyway. If NOTHING else, he's a glue guy who can be trusted. Keep.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 pm

The Hogster wrote:Jawan Jamison looks like the real deal. That spin move at the 1:58 mark? Sick. Between him and Thompson, one of these guys should be the change of pace back we were looking for.

People are saying he has below average speed. I'm not seeing what they're talking about it from this video. This guy looks like a faster Alfred Morris (Jr) who does routes too. Perfect compliment to Morris!!

To get this guy in the 7th round is sick nice!!

Dude just threw a nice pass in the vid too.

I love this draft overall. Not what I was expecting, but man...we are looking TERRIFYING right now!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Was Dominick Reyes ever drafted? I wonder if we'll pick him up as a UDFA if not.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:31 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Was Dominick Reyes ever drafted? I wonder if we'll pick him up as a UDFA if not.

He went undrafted. I hope we bring him in.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Been looking at a lot of Brandon Jenkins' footage.

Orakpo, Kerrigan, & Jenkins...

:twisted:

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 pm

On paper this looks like a strong draft. We addressed CB, S, and TE. We took 2 shots on a breakaway threat at RB. And we made a bet on a pass rushing LB. Shanny went for playmakers on both sides of the ball. I like that.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 am

GoSkins wrote:On paper this looks like a strong draft. We addressed CB, S, and TE. We took 2 shots on a breakaway threat at RB. And we made a bet on a pass rushing LB. Shanny went for playmakers on both sides of the ball. I like that.

Yes, he was definitely looking for playmakers. Ball hawks in the secondary and breakaway RBs for starters. Far better to gamble on a player who could make an impact then to take a safe pick we immediately start looking to upgrade.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 am

It seems to me that Shanahan has approached this draft with the intention to get as many guys with high upside as possible (but with some increased risk attached to them), and is handing them over to his coaches with the message "Go on, now prove you can coach".

Amerson, Thomas and Rambo in particular will be keeping Raheem Morris busy. The options that these guys should provide to the defensive coaches are enticing - I'm sure we'll see all kinds of different defensive packages and personnel changes as required. None of them will be the finished article on day one, but Shanahan is certainly counting on Morris to get them all ready to contribute. If we can get an improved pass rush up front, it's easy to imagine a lot of turnovers.

I was very pleased with the Thompson pick - as soon as I watched film of him running away from people, I was sold. His injury history is a risk, but his playing ability certainly isn't. Along with Jordan Reed's athleticism and running ability at tight end, these two could be the key components that help take the offense to a new level, along with a developing RG3.

It's far too early to grade this draft, just as it's still too early to grade last years', but I'm certainly excited by the potential.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Far better to gamble on a player who could make an impact then to take a safe pick we immediately start looking to upgrade.

+1

Played poker like this Friday night at a full table. Pocket jacks look great pre-flop but look real bad when they miss the flop (a safe pick we immediately start looking to upgrade) and 5 other guys who called your raise are still active. Meanwhile, that 10-9 sure made an impact when I flopped the nuts (gamble on a player who could make an impact) against 5 limpers and then stacked 2 of 'em.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 am

DarthMonk wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Far better to gamble on a player who could make an impact then to take a safe pick we immediately start looking to upgrade.

+1

Played poker like this Friday night at a full table. Pocket jacks look great pre-flop but look real bad when they miss the flop (a safe pick we immediately start looking to upgrade) and 5 other guys who called your raise are still active. Meanwhile, that 10-9 sure made an impact when I flopped the nuts (gamble on a player who could make an impact) against 5 limpers and then stacked 2 of 'em.

If it's the nuts, then by definition it's not a gamble.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:20 pm

The Hogster wrote:Jawan Jamison looks like the real deal. That spin move at the 1:58 mark? Sick. Between him and Thompson, one of these guys should be the change of pace back we were looking for.

Hogster, do you think Jamison or Thompson are better than a fully fit Helu..?

If these two are fit and look good in training camp, is Royster's spot under threat..?

How many spots for RBs will we have..? Morris, Young are locked in, Helu is as well if he's fit I reckon.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:46 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Helu is as well if he's fit I reckon.

I'm not so sure about that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Helu is as well if he's fit I reckon.

I'm not so sure about that.

I completely agree. I think if he's not healthy again, we move on. There's no point in keeping a roster spot for a guy who's never available to play.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

+1

If it's the nuts, then by definition it's not a gamble.

Not true on at least two counts. First of all, it was a gamble to play 10-9 pre-flop. Secondly, being the nuts after the flop does not mean they will hold up on the turn and river. Thus, the gambling continued. As a matter of fact, the turn paired the board opening up the possibility of a full house for someone else. I said I flopped the nuts. I didn't say I turned or rivered them.

For example, if a player holds 7♠ 8♠ on a board of 5♣ 6♠ 9♥ he is said to have flopped the nuts, however if the next card comes 7♥ then 8-10 becomes the nuts. If someone holds that he just turned the nuts.

Jokes are welcomed.

The point is, I gambled on a hand (10-9) that had a lot more upside ("could make an impact") against an active table than pocket jacks do while I lost with a "safe hand" (pocket jacks) because too many people hung around after my raise and after flopping air I was immediately "looking to upgrade."

Oh, and BTW, we never kicked off against the Ginas in the Wind Bowl.

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic. ... ked#610925

:thump:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to NFL Draft 2013