Official 2013 Draft Thread

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm

That's not the way I've ever heard the term used. Having the nuts is basically saying your hand is unbeatable.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:41 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Jawan Jamison looks like the real deal. That spin move at the 1:58 mark? Sick. Between him and Thompson, one of these guys should be the change of pace back we were looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ChWgdz6ls

Hogster, do you think Jamison or Thompson are better than a fully fit Helu..?

If these two are fit and look good in training camp, is Royster's spot under threat..?

How many spots for RBs will we have..? Morris, Young are locked in, Helu is as well if he's fit I reckon.

I recall Kyle and Mike Shanahan referring to Helu as not being tough during his rookie year. So, in my view, I would guess that the staff feels that there is better out there. I would answer this in the affirmative in favor of Thompson for sure, but his injury is a factor. I read that he is expected to be ready to go full-go this training camp. If he is, I expect him to beat out Helu. Helu is a good straight line speed guy, but he's not what most would consider a change of pace back.

I think that Helu or Royster will both be in competition for their jobs. A big part of the deal will also be pass protection. Change of pace guys usually come in on 3rd downs--passing downs. And, the knock on Helu was that he couldn't pass block, while the slower Royster could.

If we find that Darren Sproles or Ray Rice type, who can move the chains on 3rd down without being a protection risk, I think one or both of the RBs we have now are out of jobs.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:41 pm

The Hogster wrote:Jawan Jamison looks like the real deal. That spin move at the 1:58 mark? Sick. Between him and Thompson, one of these guys should be the change of pace back we were looking for.

If these two are fit and look good in training camp, is Royster's spot under threat..?

How many spots for RBs will we have..? Morris, Young are locked in, Helu is as well if he's fit I reckon.

I recall Kyle and Mike Shanahan referring to Helu as not being tough during his rookie year. So, in my view, I would guess that the staff feels that there is better out there. I would answer this in the affirmative in favor of Thompson for sure, but his injury is a factor. I read that he is expected to be ready to go full-go this training camp. If he is, I expect him to beat out Helu. Helu is a good straight line speed guy, but he's not what most would consider a change of pace back.

I think that Helu or Royster will both be in competition for their jobs. A big part of the deal will also be pass protection. Change of pace guys usually come in on 3rd downs--passing downs. And, the knock on Helu was that he couldn't pass block, while the slower Royster could.

If we find that Darren Sproles or Ray Rice type, who can move the chains on 3rd down without being a protection risk, I think one or both of the RBs we have now are out of jobs.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 am

The Hogster wrote:

Well thompson certainly is tough, coming back once already from 2 broken vertebrae and looking amazing prior to his knee injury. IF he is able to recover from his most recent knee injury the way he did from the 2 vertebrae break and look like he did when he healthy for FSU, we are going to fall in love with this guy. He is a lot tougher, as a runner, than you might expect from a guy that fast.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 am

I think Thompson will knock Helu off the roster. It will be between Royster and Jamison for the last spot.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 am

By the way, where in the world is Caneskins? I wanna jaw with him a bit about 2 new seminoles in the fold. I don't think I've seen anything from him in a while.

I am an FSU fan, for sure and I love the Thomspon pick, shoot, I love the Jenkins pick too. Hope their injuries pan out, but I have more faith in Jenkins doing so than Thompson. With a knee injury to a speed guy, I'm wary (yes, I'm ignoring that elephant in the room regarding the other speed guy on our roster making it back from his knee injury, thank you.)
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am

Deadskins wrote:That's not the way I've ever heard the term used. Having the nuts is basically saying your hand is unbeatable.

Only at that juncture. I hear it used this way frequently on TV. Regardless, it was a pre-flop gamble and that's when I said I gambled in the original post. The point of the post was to compare upside picks to safe picks. The poker analogy was fine and the gamble existed pre-flop regardless of your interpretation of the nuts.

pokerterms.com ~ ... the term is commonly used to describe the best possible hand at any given point during play.

Here's a related usage from the movie Rounders.

I call.

Check.

Two grand.

All right, I'll call the two grand. I'll gamble.

Don't splash the pot.

You're on a draw, Mike? Go away.

This one is not good for you.

And in my club, I will splash the pot whenever the () I please.

Okay.

[Sighs]

I'm gonna check, Teddy.

That's right.

Big daddy...

bets...

the pot.

That's .

All right, I'm gonna call you, or else I won't respect myself tomorrow morning.

Respect is all you'll have left in the morning.

Last card coming.

Check.

It hurts, doesn't it?

You can't believe what fell.

All your dreams... dashed.

Hopes down the () drain.

Your fate, he is sitting right beside you.

That ace could not have helped you.

[Chips Rattling]

I bet it all.

You're right, Teddy. The ace didn't help me.

I flopped a nut straight.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

Your Rounders example didn't help your case. :roll:

But I'll take your word for it.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm

Deadskins wrote:I think Thompson will knock Helu off the roster. It will be between Royster and Jamison for the last spot.

Really..? I don't think so, not if Helu is fully fit.

Maybe we've forgotten how impressive Helu was in his first few games for us, and he has done it in the NFL, whilst the others haven't as of yet. So if he is fit and looking sharp then I say he gets the nod.

The last spot would go to who's better in pass protection probably.

Having said that, Helu has a long way to go to prove his injuries are behind him, if he breaks down at all between now and August his place is likely gone.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Deadskins wrote:I think Thompson will knock Helu off the roster. It will be between Royster and Jamison for the last spot.

Maybe we've forgotten how impressive Helu was in his first few games for us, and he has done it in the NFL, whilst the others haven't as of yet. So if he is fit and looking sharp then I say he gets the nod.

Having said that, Helu has a long way to go to prove his injuries are behind him, if he breaks down at all between now and August his place is likely gone.

Firstly, welcome back fella! Is it me, or did you disappear for weeks? ;-)

Second, re Helu: whilst he has done SOMETHING in the NFL, and flashed some ability, I don't think he's done anywhere enough for a sustained period to show the coaching staff that he is the man, or one of the men. If he is still on the roster when week one comes around, I sincerely hope it's because he's proven his fitness, and beaten everybody else to the job. With the players we've drafted in the last few days, the level of competition has been raised, and as long as the cream rises to the top, we should all be very happy :-)

Helu and Royster have been placed on notice.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Royster has shown more in the NFL than Helu. Plus, Helu is our current change-of-pace back, which would be the speedy Thomas's role. If one of our current backs gets ousted, it's going to be Helu.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:

Firstly, welcome back fella! Is it me, or did you disappear for weeks? ;-)

Second, re Helu: whilst he has done SOMETHING in the NFL, and flashed some ability, I don't think he's done anywhere enough for a sustained period to show the coaching staff that he is the man, or one of the men. If he is still on the roster when week one comes around, I sincerely hope it's because he's proven his fitness, and beaten everybody else to the job. With the players we've drafted in the last few days, the level of competition has been raised, and as long as the cream rises to the top, we should all be very happy :-)

Helu and Royster have been placed on notice.

Yes mate, I've been utterly swamped workwise, been at it till 11pm most nights so not had the time or energy to post here to be honest. Developing an exciting new football/lifestyle magazine which is out later this year, also have an NFL mag in the pipeline for publication in the U.S in the planning stages (will be looking for some contributors and writers for that so watch this space as they say).

Back to topic; I get the feeling some people have forgotten that Helu is actually a very good RB who rattled up a few 100 yard games for us in his rookie year. The good people of this site actually voted him player of the year on offense that season (yes, we've come a long way quickly!).

He worked with a fractured offensive line and a dodgy passing game. He could be an excellent weapon alongside the passing game and stars we have now.

If he's fit I reckon he has a spot, but I haven't seen Thompson or Jamison play...

I get the feeling we're going to be letting go of some decent players to get down to 53. Ah, progress, beautiful, sweet progress...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Deadskins wrote:Your Rounders example didn't help your case. :roll:

Sure it did - nuts at a juncture.

I have a lot of faith in Helu. He has tremendous talent. His pass pro was improving. He's extremely fast and elusive. He has good hands. My only concern is his health. I seem to recall him gutting it through a lot of camp before the brass shut him down. Could be wrong on that last point but that's what I recall.

Either way, I like the upside of the new guys.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:I get the feeling some people have forgotten that Helu is actually a very good RB who rattled up a few 100 yard games for us in his rookie year.

And Royster had more, and a better per carry average.

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Your Rounders example didn't help your case. :roll:

Sure it did - nuts at a juncture.

Nope, he says the ace on the river didn't help him because he had the nuts on the flop.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to NFL Draft 2013