Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 am

jmooney wrote:While were at it, theives everywhere should request Pittsburgh's name to be changed

Um, it's Steelers, not Stealers. :oops: And thieves, not theives.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Re: Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:12 am

I don't know where the term redskins came from but that is no longer important and I will touch on why in a second.

The Boston Braves were looking for a new name because of the conflict with the MLB Braves, they wanted to keep their connection to the American Indians and also add a tie to the Redsox, so Redskins was an obvious choice.

Eighty years ago the term may have been offensive, but over time words take on different meanings. In the 50's If you said a man was gay it meant something completely different than it does now. Back when the Skins first took their name if you said you needed to go home to feed your bitch people knew you had a female canine that was getting hungry. Now if you walked into a bar and said you just had a conversation with a Redskin you would have 100 out of 100 people in that bar assuming that you had just talked to a professional football player. You might have to go through more than a thousand before someone would think you were talking about an American Indian.

So 100 years ago if I said, "I just traded my bitch to a guy for his ass and he was just gay!" There wasn't anything dirty about that quote, but now I will probably get censored for it. So as times change so do the meaning of the words.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:19 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I don't know where the term redskins came from but that is no longer important and I will touch on why in a second.

The Boston Braves were looking for a new name because of the conflict with the MLB Braves, they wanted to keep their connection to the American Indians and also add a tie to the Redsox, so Redskins was an obvious choice.

Eighty years ago the term may have been offensive, but over time words take on different meanings. In the 50's If you said a man was gay it meant something completely different than it does now. Back when the Skins first took their name if you said you needed to go home to feed your bitch people knew you had a female canine that was getting hungry. Now if you walked into a bar and said you just had a conversation with a Redskin you would have 100 out of 100 people in that bar assuming that you had just talked to a professional football player. You might have to go through more than a thousand before someone would think you were talking about an American Indian.

So 100 years ago if I said, "I just traded my bitch to a guy for his ass and he was just gay!" There wasn't anything dirty about that quote, but now I will probably get censored for it. So as times change so do the meaning of the words.

:!: :idea: :!: :idea: :!: :idea: :!: :idea: :!: :idea:

I was with you the whole way bruva
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:26 am

For more than three thousand years that symbol represented life or good fortune to dozens of cultures around the world.

Now it has a completely different connotation.

The meaning of words and symbols change over the years. Redskins is no longer a derogatory word.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 am

grampi wrote:It's becoming almost a daily news thing now...the crybaby whiners trying to get the name "Redskins" changed to something else...if I were Danny Boy I'd tell them the name has been the same since 1932 and it's staying this way no matter what!

:shock: The name for our team is not changing .. but there are some that view the term differently and they are not all "crybaby whiners"

the term is not and has never been intended or used by the organization in an offensive way

Snyder will handle this appropriately and not offensively
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 am

all good points. growing up i NEVER even knew bout the derogatory word and only that redskins were a football team.

of course i want it to remain the same.

but if it has to change please not the red-tails.. that sounds so terrible. give us the warriors.. but then our song would be trashed. smh

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 03, 2013 7:48 am

jmooney wrote:I dont see where Redskins is any more offensive to Native Americans than the name Giants is to fat people.

This is EXACTLY what irritates about this stupid debate. That people on the pro-Redskins side play stupid about and refuse to acknowledge that the word "Redskins" is a slur and offensive to some people. I'm not expressing an opinion here I'm giving you a FACT. Look it up in the freaking dictionary.

red·skin
[red-skin]
noun Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive.
a North American Indian.
— n an old-fashioned informal name, now considered taboo, for a Native American

I don't think we should change the name. But I'd love to see fans quit playing dumb about it and arguing that this small minority of people is crazy for being offended. They're not.

They're also not getting the name changed ever and need to get over it. This is just a way for people to get their names in the papers periodically.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 am

Deadskins wrote:
jmooney wrote:While were at it, theives everywhere should request Pittsburgh's name to be changed

Um, it's Steelers, not Stealers. :oops: And thieves, not theives.

lol. WOW.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

riggofan wrote:lol. WOW.

wut a jerk, you couldn't let it slide like the rest of us huh?

ROTFALMAO

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 am

SkinsJock wrote:the term is not and has never been intended or used by the organization in an offensive way

Totally agree with that. Its also just an out of date word. When do you think was the last time somebody called another person a "redskin" and meant it in an offensive way?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
riggofan wrote:lol. WOW.

wut a jerk, you couldn't let it slide like the rest of us huh?

ROTFALMAO

hah. NO! That was freaking HILARIOUS!!!

Sorry for being the jerk though. :)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 am

If the Redskins have changed their name then the Vikings, Raiders, and Buccaneers (sp?) should have to change their names since I think it is offensive to name you team after and glorify a groups that made their living by raping, robbing, and murdering people.

I contend that no matter what the name used to mean, Redskins no longer is a derogatory term. It represents Washington profootball and nothing else.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 am

Deadskins wrote:
Redskins Reparations wrote:When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness?

Bullets to Wizards?

Here's some irony - the logo looks like a guy who just shot himself in the head!

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am

I personally don't really care what the team is called. I still love my Redskins, but if the name does change, I will still root for them, because they are my team. I agree with SF33's sentiment that meanings do change over time, but I also agree with CLL's assessment that the offenders don't need to tell the offended how to feel.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Redskins Reparations wrote:When was the last time a professional sports franchise changed their name due to public pressure and/or political correctness?

Bullets to Wizards?

Here's some irony - the logo looks like a guy who just shot himself in the head!

I'm sure there are plenty of Christians that are offended by the name Wizzards due to witchcraft (in their minds) being associated with the devil. Or how about Wiccans who actually practice witchcraft (in their minds) that find the term wizzard offensive.

My point is, you can find a group that can find almost any name offensive.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football