tribeofjudah's Bible study

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 am

GOD IS LOVE........
so here is the Bible Truth about hell:

http://youtu.be/wkRxGAhVqmc
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 am

Evil things suck.

Good things don't.

That's where I'm finally at with mine.

:lol: don't judge me.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:06 am

BIBLE STUDY --- APRIL SESSION

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
-----------------------------

Are the 10 Commandments still valid today for our time as they were back in Biblical days? Imagine if every person on the planet adhered to the 10 Golden Rules of GOD...?

*there would be no murders --- thou shalt not kill
*there'd be no stolen items --- thou shalt not steal
*there'd be no violence from cheating spouses --- thou shalt not commit adultery
And the list goes on!

There'd be no cruel, hating people who perpetrate the pain and sorrow at Newtown and Boston.

Consider these Bible texts:

Num 15:15 The community is to have the same rules for you and for the foreigner residing among you; this is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You and the foreigner shall be the same before the LORD:
Num 15:16 The same laws and regulations will apply both to you and to the foreigner residing among you.'

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS are still VALID for this day and age.
They are not the 10 suggestions.
They are not the 10 recommendation.
They don't only apply to the Jews or Moses' people.

Psalms 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

GOD is Perfect and Holy and HIS Law is Perfect and Holy.....

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 pm

"Don't swallow your moral code in tablet form."

I believe the "Hitchens Commandments" are much more ethical and are much less vain than those supposedly delivered to Moses. And that is beside the fact that if said god is all powerful and all knowing, it could stop massacres such as those in Boston and Newtown although it chooses not to intervene and save its innocent children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Cappster wrote:"Don't swallow your moral code in tablet form."

I believe the "Hitchens Commandments" are much more ethical and are much less vain than those supposedly delivered to Moses. And that is beside the fact that if said god is all powerful and all knowing, it could stop massacres such as those in Boston and Newtown although it chooses not to intervene and save its innocent children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c

I can always appreciate and respect someone who says it as they feel it. Appreciate your honesty.

I'm trying to understand what you wrote about the 10 Commandments being vain. Not attacking your belief; just want to understand where you're coming from.

For instance, there appears to be an inherent "moral code" within every human being. Except those with sociopathic tendencies, its universally agreed by the vast majority that murdering someone apart from self defense or in the loving defense of others is wrong. Same with "cheating" on a spouse. Sure you have swingers and such who partake in such lifestyles, but there's always that chase for more more more and no complete satisfaction.

No sense on getting into all of those commandments...just using two brief examples.

The problem with me and my fellow Christians is that we are still living in a fallen world. To my shame, I find myself many times doing more harm to the name of Christ than good. This doesn't make me insincere in my faith & love in Christ, but rather my body's selfish desires conflict with my desire to please God and enjoy His friendship.

So I'd say the main difference in being a true Christian with a genuine change in heart is the struggle. Though we fall into the same every day sins as everyone else, our truest desire is to do what pleases God out of love for Him; not guilt or obligation.

I'll give it to you, myself and other Christians have done a lousy job in not coming across as judgmental or self-righteous, but since when do people in general do relationships perfectly? Everyone fails to some degree in every day relationships; Christians are not immune to this. Sure, there's a change in heart and priorities but we still have to choose to follow Christ daily.

Through it all, I tried almost everything to give myself happiness; it was like chasing wind and trying to catch it in my hand; not possible. Finally I gave up the chase, and realized what I truly desired was contentment (fulfillment if you will) rather than pleasureful happiness. I found that contentment and an indescribable peace when I started to learn more about Jesus Christ.

Do I have days where I feel unfulfilled? Sure, but only because I chose that day to not enjoy my friendship with God. Do I have days where I fail miserably? Absolutely, but again its those days that I chose not to listen to Him.

Anyway, "why does a good God allow bad things to happen to 'good' people?"

He's a loving God, love is not controlling, and He wants people to follow Him because they want to; not because He forces them to (what kind of a relationship would that be?).

He is more heart-broken by this than any other victim or effected persons.

Why didn't He stop it? Because He gave those men who did it a choice...they chose evil over good. God allowed them to have free will.

The real issue isn't God's sovereignty, but rather what people do in their relationships through their free will. Whether we like it or not, we're all in relationship with each other; virtually everything we do effects those around us in some way, shape, or form. The problem is us not dealing with our own selfishness, etc and/or realizing the ramifications of our free will actions.

The easy way out is to blame God, because then we don't need to look at our own lives and our own hearts. Plus it makes existence less scary to blame God as we try to believe He'd treat people like puppets and force them to do His will (or at least when it comes to situations like this).

The problem is us, the problem is us...and somehow...someway...God manages to find the love and mercy in His heart to not destroy the world and all that's in it and just start over with "better" creation. That speaks volumes on the loving character of God. He's being patient with us as we learn to love one another...needless to say, some people are so full of pain, hate, evil, etc that all they want to do is learn how to destroy others.

I hope this came across in the respectful way I intended it. I admire your honesty and hope you find peace about this soon...life's too short to not have peace of heart.

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm

I've seen your post, HTTRRG3ALMO, but I have been too lazy to really put forth any effort in my lengthy response. haha. I will provide a more detailed response on day here soon, because I want to address all of your points. I will say that in short, if a person reads the bible and doesn't cherry pick what they like and gloss over what they don't like, you will see that this claimed god is a very hateful and malevolent being. The bastard sent himself...well...his son who he made himself to be, so he could sacrifice his son/self to allow forgiveness to any human who would worship his son/self and claim as our savior. If he had soooo much love for us, why wouldn't said being just say "you know what? I fudged up in my creation so its my fault and I pardon all of you?" In regards to the ten commandments, how many f them actually teach morality? Wouldn't the commandments of a divine being include something about how we shouldn't own each others as slaves or not hating on another on basis of race rather than "no other gods before me and no graven images of me?"

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

Bible Study for May 2013

The nation of Israel would not and could not become a mighty nation WITHOUT the experience in Egypt. They "needed" Egypt to flourish and increase in population. Although their stay in Egypt began as a prosperous experience with Joseph as 2nd in command of the nation.......it later turned out UGLY as they were put into bondage. BUT, they needed that too........... it was ALL GOD'S PLAN. Call it PROVIDENCE.

Father Abraham was promised by God that he would become a great and might nation. Abraham went to the grave and never saw that happen. It finally happened several generations later with Jacob, Joseph, and finally with Moses.

EGW wrote:

The assurance, "Fear not to go down into Egypt; for I will there make of thee a great nation," was significant. The promise had been given to Abraham of a posterity numberless as the stars, but as yet the chosen people had increased but slowly. And the land of Canaan now offered no field for the development of such a nation as had been foretold. It was in the possession of powerful heathen tribes, that were not to be dispossessed until "the fourth generation." If the descendants of Israel were here to become a numerous people, they must either drive out the inhabitants of the land or disperse themselves among them. The former, according to the divine arrangement, they could not do; and should they mingle with the Canaanites, they would be in danger of being seduced into idolatry. Egypt, however, offered the conditions necessary to the fulfillment of the divine purpose. A section of country well-watered and fertile was open to them there, affording every advantage for their speedy increase. And the antipathy they must encounter in Egypt on account of their occupation--for every shepherd was "an abomination unto the Egyptians"--would enable them to remain a distinct and separate people and would thus serve to shut them out from participation in the idolatry of Egypt.

Friends, you and I also need to flourish under the Guidance of the Holy Spirit of God. The question may become: where is our Egypt.....???

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Cappster, just out of curiosity, do you believe people have a soul (that is a non-physical part of their existence)?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri May 03, 2013 7:13 am

Deadskins wrote:Cappster, just out of curiosity, do you believe people have a soul (that is a non-physical part of their existence)?

I am not sure if I would label it a soul, but it does seem we have some sort of energy that keeps us going. I've been on a few ghost adventures before and picked up some audio that is undoubtedly paranormal. If there is only a heaven and a hell, energy from people who have passed on shouldn't be hanging around allowing people to record evidence of its existence.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 03, 2013 7:24 am

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Cappster, just out of curiosity, do you believe people have a soul (that is a non-physical part of their existence)?

I am not sure if I would label it a soul, but it does seem we have some sort of energy that keeps us going. I've been on a few ghost adventures before and picked up some audio that is undoubtedly paranormal. If there is only a heaven and a hell, energy from people who have passed on shouldn't be hanging around allowing people to record evidence of its existence.

Why does there have to be only a heaven and a hell?

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 am

Deadskins wrote:Why does there have to be only a heaven and a hell?

that sounds interesting.. what you got in between or wherever?

purgatory is said to be an option but are there any other options?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 am

Deadskins wrote:
Cappster wrote:

I am not saying there has to be only the two; however, I am referring to the majority protestant view of what happens when a person dies. This is a thread about the bible so I didn't include any other religious/spiritual views in the discussion. Unless, of course, one wants to include the Catholic purgatory view which LPJ has interjected into the discussion. If purgatory did exist, it seems like all of would have the privilege of going to heaven after our time is served.

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:

Purgatory is made up by the Roman church and is NOT Biblical.

Person dies and goes to "purgatory"

Priest to family: You know, johnny didn't live such a good life.....so if you pay $100 dollars, we'll have him out in a week. BUT....if you pay/give/donate $1000, we'll have him out by tonight.

It became a means to raise funds for the church and became corrupt and exploited.....

Think about it.... Jesus, the Disciples, the bible NEVER speaks of such thing.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

Cappster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Cappster wrote:

I am not saying there has to be only the two; however, I am referring to the majority protestant view of what happens when a person dies. This is a thread about the bible so I didn't include any other religious/spiritual views in the discussion. Unless, of course, one wants to include the Catholic purgatory view which LPJ has interjected into the discussion. If purgatory did exist, it seems like all of would have the privilege of going to heaven after our time is served.

OK, so you acknowledge that there is some form of spiritual aspect (no need to label it) to human life. Where does this "energy" come from? Do you believe in reincarnation?

Hail to the Redskins!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

tribeofjudah wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:

Purgatory is made up by the Roman church and is NOT Biblical.

Person dies and goes to "purgatory"

Priest to family: You know, johnny didn't live such a good life.....so if you pay $100 dollars, we'll have him out in a week. BUT....if you pay/give/donate $1000, we'll have him out by tonight.

It became a means to raise funds for the church and became corrupt and exploited.....

Think about it.... Jesus, the Disciples, the bible NEVER speaks of such thing.

Well, the Bible has been rewritten numerous times to benefit those in power at a particular time so I think we can apply the same logic about purgatory to the entire religion. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "rapture" is a recent made up philosophy too that isn't in the bible.

Return to The Lounge