Orakpo says he's feeling 100%

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Orakpo says he's feeling 100%

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

- No contract discussions with the team yet (he is in the final year of his deal)
- Interesting info that I hadn't heard before: his pec injury affected a different ligament than his surgically repaired one. So it wasn't the "same" injury being re-aggravated.
- Says he's feeling no pains of any kind at this point. This is the year we'll see what he's really got.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -for-otas/

Orakpo expects to be ready for OTAs, has not discussed contract

Linebacker Brian Orakpo said Monday that his left pectoral muscle is healing well and he expects to be able to participate in organized team activities with the Redskins later this month.

“The arm is good,” Orakpo said. “The pec is feeling great. I’ve been working extremely hard ever since I went down last September and I couldn’t be feeling any better. I know that’s what a lot of players say when they come back from injuries and this and that. But, like I said, honestly I feel good. I shouldn’t have any setbacks from minicamps and OTAs. I should be ready to go as if I didn’t miss a beat at all. I’m excited to get back.”

Orakpo spoke to reporters Monday at the charity golf event he hosted at the Trump National Golf Club. The event was to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Orakpo was placed on the injured reserve list last September after suffering a tear of his left pectoral muscle in the Redskins’ second game of the 2012 season. He’d suffered a tear of the same muscle in the final game of the 2011 season, then had aggravated the injury during a preseason game in Chicago.

“It was before Chicago when I went down,” Orakpo said. “It was just some discomfort, you know what I mean? Football players, good ones, the guys that want to go out there and play, you try to fight through it. That’s what I was doing. I didn’t want to hold back. I had some discomfort in it. But I tried to play through it and eventually it just kept giving out on me and giving out on me. And then it gave out on me obviously throughout the season. But this time around, I really feel great. I’m going to continue to do my maintenance, continue to do my rehab that I need to do. But like I said, I should be ready to go come OTAs.”

The Redskins are scheduled to begin organized team activities on May 20.

Orakpo’s ability to return from his latest pectoral injury and boost the team’s pass rush, potentially aiding a pass defense that ranked 30th in the league last season, will be a key storyline during the offseason and training camp for the Redskins.

“It feels differently because I’m not having any aches,” Orakpo said. “I’m not having any pains. I’m not having any sort of discomfort once you’re post-surgery or post-injury, you know what I mean? That’s the great thing about it. A lot of times you can come back from an injury and you can have some setbacks. You can have some discomfort. But you try to play through it. This time around, it’s really been beneficial for me as far as not really feeling anything and it’s been great so far.”

Orakpo said he’s not concerned about suffering a third injury to the same pectoral muscle.

“It just was a freak accident,” he said. “It was the same pec but it was a different ligament. That’s what people need to understand. The surgically repaired one is fine. It was a different ligament in the pec. For example, if you have a knee injury, you have all types of ligaments — MCL, ACL, PCL. I basically hurt some different ligament in the pec. It was just a freak accident. Maybe I was overcompensating from the first time I hurt it and that ligament in particular tore off the bone. But like I said, I’m good. I couldn’t be any healthier. I continue to get my maintenance in each and every day before we start our workout program, just to kind of stay on top of it this time around.”

Orakpo is entering the final season of his contract and, barring an extension, would be eligible for free agency next offseason. He said he hasn’t had any contract talks with the team to this point.

“We haven’t discussed it,” Orakpo said. “We’re just getting ready for this year. That’s something that’s in the back of my mind right now. It’s really hard to discuss it. We know what’s at stake. The coaches know what I mean to this organization. That shouldn’t be a problem once it’s all said and done. Obviously the [salary] cap issue is a big issue with us right now. So that’s something we’ve got to put on the back burner as we speak and move forward until we get some money back.”

He said he would like to remain with the team for the duration of his career.

“I would love to be a Redskin for life,” Orakpo said. “That’s my goal. Obviously when I talk to Mr. [owner Daniel] Snyder, he says that’s his goal. Coach [Mike] Shanahan says that’s his goal. As long as both sides take care of our business, that shouldn’t be a problem.”
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 am

I'd love to see Rak be locked up long term, but if he wants to get the money I think he's looking for, he better get to double digits in the sack department this season.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue May 07, 2013 8:52 am

I'm holding my breath about this guy........
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 am

I'm expecting big things this year from Rak.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am

BO has been VERY consistent in his prior 3 years here. That said, I think the FO wants to see how he plays in the beginning of the season before commencing contract discussions --- which I think is smart. It may be cheaper to lock him up now, but less risk is they do it later on in the season.

As far as $$$, if BO had put up similar #s last year, I would say that he should be getting a contract in the top 10% for LBs --- but he is coming off injury. It will be a tough one, but most likely we'll have to pony up to re-sign him. Based on his consistency and stats, he is a top tier LB.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm

I'd like to see the Skins restructure and extend Rak sooner than later. I just don't see it as a very big risk unless you believe he is going to be more susceptible to tearing his pec every year or something.

Dude is only 26 years old, one of our own first round draft picks and a two time pro bowler. I would just get this done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm

riggofan wrote:I'd like to see the Skins restructure and extend Rak sooner than later. I just don't see it as a very big risk unless you believe he is going to be more susceptible to tearing his pec every year or something.

Dude is only 26 years old, one of our own first round draft picks and a two time pro bowler. I would just get this done.

Regardless of what I said above, I agree. Perhaps sign him to a 3 year deal with a 2 year option ---- although I doubt he would go for that.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

piglet

Postby GFlanagan3 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

I wonder if Synder is willing to write the checks for quality players. That being said I also wonder if Orakpo will be tentative in his approach or life a house afire because he has something to prove.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 am

There are many here that know more about this than I do :lol: that being said .. IMO The timing is not right for this to get done at this time - it will happen

we now have a franchise that is a lot different than it used to be (and still is for many others) - the players and management understand the most important thing is NOT the money ...

we're seeing a lot of players take look at their salaries a lot more realistically here than they used to

His future salary will not be as tied to his own performance as much as it will be to how well he helps the team on defense

SIMPLE really :lol:

Orakpo will get a fair offer at the right time to continue as a Redskin just like everyone else on this franchise
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am

SkinsJock wrote:There are many here that know more about this than I do :lol: that being said .. IMO The timing is not right for this to get done at this time - it will happen

You could be right. But do you mean the timing is not right for Rak or the Skins?

I could see BO wanting to wait and have the chance to get paid more by lighting it up this season. He's clearly aware of the cap issues right now too and knows he might get a bigger payday from the Skins down the road. Its a big risk on his part though.

For the Skins though, I don't see how the timing couldn't be right. We could use the cap space to sign some of these draft picks I assume. Its not likely that BO is going to become LESS expensive to sign later.

If you're just saying the timing isn't right, because it hasn't happened. Well, I guess that is something too.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 am

I should clarify that I think it's a combination of both Brian and the Redskins wanting to let this play out a little

Brian because he thinks he can get more and the Redskins because the 'market' for players is going to be better for them at a later date

The Redskins don't really need any room right now or they might do this deal

Players in the NFL next season are in for a lot of surprises ...

I do think that Brian will get paid well - I also think that the Redskins are not going to be paying out large contracts anymore - the FO will continue to pay well but not overpay for players, even their own
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 am

SkinsJock wrote:The Redskins don't really need any room right now or they might do this deal

Hmmm. I'm not the cap expert here, but I'd be surprised if that's true. I think they're like $2M under the cap after restructuring Josh Wilson. The cap hit just from our drafted guys this year is $3.5M.

That doesn't count any of the UDFAs, and they're still talking about Quentin Jammer.

So yeah I think there is plenty of reason still to free up cap space. I agree we don't need to do any kind of ridiculous break the bank contract with him, but Rak is an obvious guy to redo his deal with under reasonable terms.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 08, 2013 10:40 am

I don't think that either 'side' thinks it's better for them to 'do a deal' and there is no real need ... at this time 8)

the players that want to play for this franchise will have to compete for that opportunity and some really good players are going to be fighting for an opportunity to play here

players with 1 year contracts have to have really great seasons and even then some of these players will find they are not worth what they think they are on the market ...

I think this philosophy is going to ensure an even better roster each year :wink:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think that either 'side' thinks it's better for them to 'do a deal' and there is no real need ... at this time 8)

the players that want to play for this franchise will have to compete for that opportunity and some really good players are going to be fighting for an opportunity to play here

players with 1 year contracts have to have really great seasons and even then some of these players will find they are not worth what they think they are on the market ...

I think this philosophy is going to ensure an even better roster each year :wink:

Honestly man, not to be flippant but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Brian Orakpo or what exactly you're winking about.

We have a young defensive guy we know can play. He can unquestionably be a key part of your foundation for the next four years. He clearly wants to be here. Not only does re-doing his contract lock this player up at the most financially advantageous time for the Redskins, but it also helps with the current cap problems.

I'm not really sure what your argument is for why the Skins should wait until later in the season to re-do Rak's contract other than "When the Skins do it, it will be the right time." That's not really much of a position.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 pm

:lol: I'm not even close to trying to make a point .. let alone make a case for this :lol:

all the reasons that your pointing to has not resulted in Orakpo getting signed .. I like the what the guys in charge are doing ... actually I'm VERY sure they have a better feel for this than you do :wink:

let's wait and see when Brian signs ... :roll:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football