Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:34 pm

grampi wrote:
riggofan wrote:What I wrote is that I wish Redskins fans would quit pretending like the name Redskins doesn't have some baggage to it. It does. You can get all grumpy old man about it all you want and whine about political correctness and all the rest. Its still factually an ethnic slur.

It may be an ethnic slur, but I don't believe it's a derogatory one, and I think that's the crux of the matter. No team owner would name their team after a derogatory slur...not even in 1932...calling a Caucasian "white" is also an ethnic slur, but it's also not derogatory...

=D> Well said.

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm

The only safe names are Hoyas, Hokies & Hoosiers. Nobody knows what any of them are.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm

yupchagee wrote:The only safe names are Hoyas, Hokies & Hoosiers. Nobody knows what any of them are.

I'm down for Hoya! Makes it easier for me to cheer for my DC teams.

Hoya saxa!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Dan Snyder wrote: We'll never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER -- you can use caps.

Well, that's that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92598 ... -team-name
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Never might be reaching but we can be sure redskins will be around for a while.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Dan... You're not helping.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu May 09, 2013 8:47 pm

I dont think its a derogatory slur....It has the color red in it so people get bent outa shape and assume. I HATE the change and the whole politically correct cuture we as a nation have grown into....Dont politicaians have BETTER things to accomplish????? I would ONLY change the name to the Washington Anarchists

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Dan... You're not helping.

He said it a lot nicer then either of us would have! :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 am

RG3peat wrote:I dont think its a derogatory slur....It has the color red in it so people get bent outa shape and assume.

It's probably more the word skin than the word red, that makes it objectionable to people.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 am

Kilmer72 wrote:
grampi wrote:
riggofan wrote:What I wrote is that I wish Redskins fans would quit pretending like the name Redskins doesn't have some baggage to it. It does. You can get all grumpy old man about it all you want and whine about political correctness and all the rest. Its still factually an ethnic slur.

It may be an ethnic slur, but I don't believe it's a derogatory one, and I think that's the crux of the matter. No team owner would name their team after a derogatory slur...not even in 1932...calling a Caucasian "white" is also an ethnic slur, but it's also not derogatory...

=D> Well said.

LOL. Well said??? I think you guys have no idea what a "slur" is. A slur by definition is "a disparaging remark or a slight". How can a slur NOT be derogatory?

And white is not an ethnic slur no matter how much you want to stretch it. Its an adjective.

God, I just have to quit reading this moronic thread. The entire debate about the Redskins name is idiotic. Made worse by the arguments on BOTH SIDES.

I actually liked Snyder's comments today. We're not changing the name ever. There really isn't anything more to say on the matter. Good job, Dan.

Hog

Postby grampi » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am

riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
grampi wrote:

=D> Well said.

LOL. Well said??? I think you guys have no idea what a "slur" is. A slur by definition is "a disparaging remark or a slight". How can a slur NOT be derogatory?

And white is not an ethnic slur no matter how much you want to stretch it. Its an adjective.

Then so is "Redskins"...

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am

riggofan wrote:And white is not an ethnic slur no matter how much you want to stretch it. Its an adjective.

And Red isn't? So, it's the attachment of the word "skins" that makes "Redskins" a slur, but "white" not one? Isn't the "skin" implied when using "white" to refer to a person's race? Is it just that having "white" skin is preferable to having "red" skin? That sounds inherantly racist to me. :-k
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 am

just not redtails ok?

and danny boy, please.. just shut up.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 am

grampi wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:
grampi wrote:

=D> Well said.

Then so is "Redskins"...

Uh no. Redskins is a plural noun. Nice try though.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Dan... You're not helping.

:lol: - good luck with that - at least he's staying away from the things that really matter ..

He just cannot seem to stay away from things ... the team name is NOT changing but NOT because of anything that Dan does or feels - he just has to flame the issue and grab some attention
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football