A Way Out

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
DarthMonk

A Way Out

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I've been (re) reading America's Game, an excellent book on the evolution of the NFL. It touches and enlightens on so many aspects of the game. One of the topics I found extra interesting was the correlation between a tough childhood and NFL success. That is not to say no rich guy ever made it big in football but the correlation is strong, real, and makes sense. Many players speak of football as "a way out" of the life they were born into.

I thought of the Redskins and which player I'd call their heart and soul recently ... the guy we've been able to count on week after week. I landed on London Fletcher. I gooled London Fletcher childhood and hit this:

LINK

Excerpt~

Fletcher's Stairway to Success

By Les Carpenter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
CLEVELAND

It is late in the afternoon in the mid-1980s and a young boy is racing across Superior Avenue. In his hand he carries a basketball and he flies over the curb, down Norwood Road toward the E.J. Kovacic Recreation Center, a building he and his friends call "the Rec." The trip from his home to the Rec is not long, just a few blocks, but once you cross Superior, everything changes. Here the houses are filled with white people. The boy and his friends are black. And there is a good chance that on this day -- like almost every day -- they will be chased simply for being in the wrong place.

But the boy is not afraid. Back home, there is trouble that makes anything that happens on these streets irrelevant. In a few months his sister will be raped and beaten, left to die on the railroad tracks. His mother, the foundation of his life, won't be able to handle this pain and soon she will start slipping out to meet the handful of men who linger on the corner, desperate for the drugs they keep tucked in their pockets.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 am

Football and Sports in general can be a "way out" for many kids stuck in poverty or broken homes or what have you. The same can be said about music and education.

Good story about London.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat May 11, 2013 8:34 am

Hey Mods:

I meant for this to be in "Around the League" so I (we) could post stories of other players. Can you help me out?

Thanks.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Postby Clark4HOF » Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 am

I couldnt even imagine going through what he went through and coming out the other side as a better person. I fear I would have fallen into the guns/drugs/running the streets that a lot fall into.

Good for London for turning into what he has become today.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Hey Mods:

I meant for this to be in "Around the League" so I (we) could post stories of other players. Can you help me out?

Thanks.

Done
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Re: A Way Out

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Redskins wide receiver DeSean Jackson’s path to the NFL wound through gang territory

Excerpt:

LOS ANGELES — Every morning he made the journey: the walk to the bus stop through South Central, the bus to Vernon Station, the blue-line train to Long Beach and his high school.

DeSean Jackson was a freshman at Long Beach Polytechnic High then, and some mornings were peaceful, and others were not. One side of a road might be Neighborhood Crips territory, the other patrolled by Bloods, the Rollin 40s or any of the 300 street gangs in Los Angeles. The bus would take him through neighborhoods where a hat or a gold chain is a statement, the train through four rival gang territories.

Link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Around the League