Peter King on RGIII's recovery

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Peter King on RGIII's recovery

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

In case you didn't see this today. Peter King's take on RGIII has me feeling pretty good:

Barring a setback, there's little doubt Robert Griffin III plays the opener. Griffin had major knee surgery 21 weeks ago. Washington's opener is 13 weeks from tonight. After watching him run sprints around the practice field Thursday, I agree with what Griffin said post-practice: "Without a doubt'' he thinks he'll be practicing with the team when it begins training camp in Richmond in late July ... and, of course, that he'll be ready to go Sept. 9 against the Eagles. Here's what Griffin did Thursday: He sprinted without a limp the 53-yard width of the end zone. Then, at nearly full speed, he planted his twice-surgically repaired right knee and pivoted left, up the sideline of the practice field. It wasn't the planting and cutting he'll have to do in games, of course. But it's close. I get zero sense that the team thinks he won't be ready to play Sept. 9.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2VqekSypm

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 am

Appreciate you posting this in the mega-thread, but as the other one has been dormant for a few weeks, and this is a development reported in a news outlet, this can get its own thread.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 am

Love this. Full sprint, no limp, full-speed cut.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Appreciate you posting this in the mega-thread, but as the other one has been dormant for a few weeks, and this is a development reported in a news outlet, this can get its own thread.

Cool!

I know there has been some piece-meal stuff about RGIII's knee over the past few weeks, but seeing this from Peter King himself in such clear terms really has to make fans feel good.

If that kid starts week one, he really is Superman.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:38 pm

All indications are he's going to get significant work in at training camp. :shock:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:All indications are he's going to get significant work in at training camp. :shock:

It was pretty clear after the operation that the Dr was VERY confident that RG3 would be as good if not better than he was ... :D
the use of stem cells has made these operations and the recovery process much easier to predict
also - Dr Andrews knew from what he did and the athlete he was dealing with that RG3 was going to be just fine ...

From a medical and physical perspective there was no concern AT ALL - certain fans may have based their concerns on the injury and the past but that is just 'old news'

I look for Mike and Kyle to take very good care of their QB but the only reason he's not starting is if he gets hurt between now and then
THE knee is BETTER than it was a year ago - NO DOUBT
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:52 pm

DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:All indications are he's going to get significant work in at training camp. :shock:

It was pretty clear after the operation that the Dr was VERY confident that RG3 would be as good if not better than he was ... :D
the use of stem cells has made these operations and the recovery process much easier to predict
also - Dr Andrews knew from what he did and the athlete he was dealing with that RG3 was going to be just fine ...

From a medical and physical perspective there was no concern AT ALL - certain fans may have based their concerns on the injury and the past but that is just 'old news'

I look for Mike and Kyle to take very good care of their QB but the only reason he's not starting is if he gets hurt between now and then
THE knee is BETTER than it was a year ago - NO DOUBT

I love the optimism haha. I hope his knee is repaired better than it was after he had his first surgery. I do have to disagree that there is no medical concern as we hope that medically, he will be cleared when it is fully healed and that he doesn't injure said knee again. I am glad that science has given this young man another chance at furthering his NFL career.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Cappster wrote: I am glad that science has given this young man another chance at furthering his NFL career.
+1...

I often wonder... what if Gayle Sayers were playing today... wow... (those of you who never saw him really missed something special)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 am

Cappster wrote:I love the optimism haha. I hope his knee is repaired better than it was after he had his first surgery.

Dr Andrews says it is :D
I do have to disagree that there is no medical concern as we hope that medically, he will be cleared when it is fully healed and that he doesn't injure said knee again. I am glad that science has given this young man another chance at furthering his NFL career

I am optimistic - PLUS ... Dr Andrews gave every indication that the prognosis for a full recovery was excellent - I think he knows a thing or two about this and he had the added benefit of having been a part of the AP operation and recovery - if there was any concern on his part about how this knee would respond to both the surgery and the use of stem cells to aid in the recovery, I think he would have indicated that ... his medical opinion is that the knee is going to be fine ..

actually ... BOTH Dr Andrews and RG3 have both indicated that, to date, there is no indication that the knee should be an issue at all ..
RG3 is an olympic caliber athlete and he's been doing everything that the Dr and his trainers want him to do to ensure a full recovery

There are no guarantees but given the determination to excel at everything, there is no reason to think that RG3 will not be ready to start the first game
and there is no reason to not expect RG3 will not benefit from EVERYTHING that happened last season

PLUS

Kyle and Mike know what they have in this QB and how to best use him ....

Faster and a lot wiser ... :shock:

I do agree that the medical improvements with regards to this sort of injury are amazing
I also think that many fans and the media have either no clue about this or choose not to be better informed about it because they cannot understand it
and
it just does not suit their agenda :twisted:
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football