This is a 1st!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

This is a 1st!

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93753 ... skins-name

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended the Washington Redskins' nickname in a letter to 10 members of Congress who had earlier urged team owner Daniel Snyder and the NFL to change the name because it is offensive to many Native Americans.

The members of Congress had sent their letters to Snyder, Goodell and the other 31 NFL franchises on May 13. Goodell's response was sent June 5, a digital copy of which was posted by the Indian Country Today Media Network.

PDF: Congress Wants Change
Ten members of Congress have sent a letter to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder urging the team to change their name because it's offensive to Native Americans. PDF

"The Washington Redskins name has thus from its origin represented a positive meaning distinct from any disparagement that could be viewed in some other context," Goodell writes in the letter. "For the team's millions of fans and customers, who represent one of America's most ethnically and geographically diverse fan bases, the name is a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect."

Among the group from Congress that sent the letters are the leaders of the Congressional Native American Caucus, Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and Betty McCollum (D-Minn.).

McCollum and Eni Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa) responded to Goodell's letter with statements of their own, according to the Indian Country Today Media Network.

McCollum said Goodell's letter was "another attempt to justify a racial slur on behalf of Dan Snyder and other NFL owners who appear to be only concerned with earning ever larger profits, even if it means exploiting a racist stereotype of Native Americans."

Faleomavaega, meanwhile, said that Goodell "completely missed the point regarding the Washington franchise's name."

The letter to Snyder said that "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

The nickname is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group seeking to have the team lose its trademark protection.

Snyder has vowed that he will never change the name.

Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Re: This is a 1st!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm

The letter to Snyder said that "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

This is a totally false statement. In fact, the same groups who oppose the use of the word "Redskins," also oppose the use of the term "Native Americans." :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby oj » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm

yupchagee wrote:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9375313/roger-goodell-defends-washington-redskins-name

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell defended the Washington Redskins' nickname in a letter to 10 members of Congress who had earlier urged team owner Daniel Snyder and the NFL to change the name because it is offensive to many Native Americans.

The nickname is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group seeking to have the team lose its trademark protection.

Snyder has vowed that he will never change the name.

What 'nickname' are they referring to?
Is this 'lawyer speak', seems to me the 'Washington Redskins' is a proper name an that would make 'the skins' a nickname, right?
So, what is it they are talking about?
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am

Deadskins wrote:

This is a totally false statement. In fact, the same groups who oppose the use of the word "Redskins," also oppose the use of the term "Native Americans." :roll:

How does that make the above statement "totally false"? All you did was agree with the statement and add that these groups also oppose the term "native american".

It is totally false that I hate chocolate chip cookies. In fact, I hate chocolate chip cookies, and also hate chocolate chip cookies with nuts in them.

I'm sure its not totally false that native americans throughout the country consider the word derogatory. I'm also sure that many other Native Americans throughout the country could care less and have other things to worry about! :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

How does that make the above statement "totally false"? All you did was agree with the statement and add that these groups also oppose the term "native american".

It is totally false that I hate chocolate chip cookies. In fact, I hate chocolate chip cookies, and also hate chocolate chip cookies with nuts in them.

I'm sure its not totally false that native americans throughout the country consider the word derogatory. I'm also sure that many other Native Americans throughout the country could care less and have other things to worry about! :)

It's totally false because there have been polls which show that it's totally false. I added the part about the same groups also disliking "Native Americans," to point out that these members of congress, who sent the letter, are totally out of touch with the very people they claim to represent in the matter.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby ACW » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Tony and especially Mike went OFF on Goodell on PTI yesterday.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Deadskins wrote:It's totally false because there have been polls which show that it's totally false. I added the part about the same groups also disliking "Native Americans," to point out that these members of congress, who sent the letter, are totally out of touch with the very people they claim to represent in the matter.

There are polls that show that not a single Native American in the country is offended by the name "redskins"? I kinda doubt that.

I completely agree with you about the members of congress though. Tired of white guys in Washington telling us how this small portion of Native Americans feel. How many native Americans do you think they've even spoken to?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:52 am

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:It's totally false because there have been polls which show that it's totally false.

There are polls that show that not a single Native American in the country is offended by the name "redskins"? I kinda doubt that.

I doubt it too, but since that's not what their statement said, I'm not sure how you think that negates my point. They said "NAs throughout the country," which, while maybe technically, geographically correct, implies that a vast majority feel this way. That is patently false.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Your whole argument is patently whack.

I'd love to see what polls you're citing as evidence btw. From what I can tell, polls limited to Native Americans have been kind of all over the place and rare, and the most recent one was from like 2004.

Not to mention the fact that polls aren't conclusive evidence of anything. Just ask Karl Rove and President Mitt Romney.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Riggofan... What hell does this mean...?

"Tired of white guys in Washington telling us how this small portion of Native Americans feel."

The letter was drafted by the Congressional Native American Caucus...10 congressman with ONE white guy, one white Samoaian, two white ladies, one Mexican guy, one Japanese guy, 4 black ladies...

I do agree with you on being a Riggo Fan.

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I believe it's only a matter of time before the name changes to something else. I think the sooner we get used to that fact the better we will be at adapting to the change. I love the Redskins as much as anyone else, but I can see how native tribesmen could be and how some are offended by the slang term for their kind of people.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:31 am

In my view this is a non negotiable issue. We are the Washington Redskins. That's who we are and that should always be who we are.

piggie

Postby oj » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:29 pm

GoSkins wrote:In my view this is a non negotiable issue. We are the Washington Redskins. That's who we are and that should always be who we are.

Amen.
Molon Labe

Hog

Postby ACW » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:43 pm

GoSkins wrote:In my view this is a non negotiable issue. We are the Washington Redskins. That's who we are and that should always be who we are.
Not sure about that. The name was given by a racist douchebag. Yes, our founder was a racist douchebag.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 pm

ACW wrote:
Not sure about that. The name was given by a racist douchebag. Yes, our founder was a racist douchebag.

He was, but George Preston Marshall was a devoted Jim Crow segregationist. I doubt he cared one way or the other about American Indians.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football