Barry Cofield Ranks As Top NT

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

emoses14 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Feeling extra good about my phone call to espn 980 when they asked who the next most important player after Griff was.

Cobra Kai Forbath, I agree.

:rock:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Been hearing a lot of praise about Jarvis Jenkins this off season. I'd like to see him step up strong as well. Two powerhouses on the front line is pretty scary considering our LBs.

Speaking of Jenkins, I wonder how our draft pick Brandon Jenkins would do on the line. I know he's an LB, but can't help to wonder. He seems to have a lot of power that could be molded to perfection.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Been hearing a lot of praise about Jarvis Jenkins this off season. I'd like to see him step up strong as well. Two powerhouses on the front line is pretty scary considering our LBs.

Speaking of Jenkins, I wonder how our draft pick Brandon Jenkins would do on the line. I know he's an LB, but can't help to wonder. He seems to have a lot of power that could be molded to perfection.

If he played in a 4-3, he'd play End, but in a 3-4, the D Ends are more like agile Defensive Tackles who take on Guards, Tackles & Double Teams, for which he'd be undersized by 40-50lbs. Not that it's impossible, but most 3-4 ends are in the 300lb category like Carriker, Jenkins, and Bowen.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Re: Barry Cofield Ranks As Top NT

Postby mastdark81 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 am

Deadskins wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Barry Cofield Ranks As Top NT In Business

Redskins.com intern Chris DeLisi shares an interesting tidbit about Redskins NT Barry Cofield.

Over the course of the last two seasons, the Washington Redskins have seen three quarterbacks take the field, five different running backs record a carry, and multiple safeties cracking the starting lineup.
Despite the multitude of changes on a team in transition, one thing has remained the same: nose tackle Barry Cofield anchoring the center of Jim Haslett’s 3-4 defense.
While Cofield didn’t have the opportunity to dig his toes (or should I say hands) in the sands of Hawaii at this year’s Pro Bowl, he can claim what no other defense lineman can–being the best nose tackle in the business.
In a recent ranking made by CBSSports.com’s Pat Kirwan, Cofield rates as the NFL’s No. 1 DT playing in a 3-4 scheme.

When analyzing sacks, hurries and knockdowns, Cofield blew away the competition–he led all 3-4 DTs with a 21.5, while the next player on the leaderboard only had 4.5.

WHAT they dont tell you is how many hurries per Qb drop back which is a more accurate assessment since as a D we stayed on the field for more snaps probably more than any 3-4 defense.

Furthermore since our NT and d is a run stop first type of philosophy,I think he fares better in run stopping stats per game.

Still, a 5-1 ratio over the next closest player? That's not just scheme.[/quote

You have seen the games, Cofield is just a good NT but not in an elite category, no matter what the guys generic stats say. Hes strong in the run and an average pass rusher. Im sure hes respected around the league but not as much to be on any all pro team or labeled top NT

08 Champ

Re: Barry Cofield Ranks As Top NT

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 am

mastdark81 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Barry Cofield Ranks As Top NT In Business

Redskins.com intern Chris DeLisi shares an interesting tidbit about Redskins NT Barry Cofield.

Over the course of the last two seasons, the Washington Redskins have seen three quarterbacks take the field, five different running backs record a carry, and multiple safeties cracking the starting lineup.
Despite the multitude of changes on a team in transition, one thing has remained the same: nose tackle Barry Cofield anchoring the center of Jim Haslett’s 3-4 defense.
While Cofield didn’t have the opportunity to dig his toes (or should I say hands) in the sands of Hawaii at this year’s Pro Bowl, he can claim what no other defense lineman can–being the best nose tackle in the business.
In a recent ranking made by CBSSports.com’s Pat Kirwan, Cofield rates as the NFL’s No. 1 DT playing in a 3-4 scheme.

When analyzing sacks, hurries and knockdowns, Cofield blew away the competition–he led all 3-4 DTs with a 21.5, while the next player on the leaderboard only had 4.5.

WHAT they dont tell you is how many hurries per Qb drop back which is a more accurate assessment since as a D we stayed on the field for more snaps probably more than any 3-4 defense.

Furthermore since our NT and d is a run stop first type of philosophy,I think he fares better in run stopping stats per game.

Still, a 5-1 ratio over the next closest player? That's not just scheme.

... Cofield is just a good NT but not in an elite category, no matter what the guys generic stats say. He's strong in the run and an average pass rusher. Im sure he's respected around the league but not as much to be on any all pro team or labeled top NT

maybe .... in your estimation ... that's an intriguing ratio IMO :wink:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 pm

yupchagee wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:The former cowboy has ironically been one of my favorite Shanny signings... Guy has pure heart, and gives his all every play. Compared to the bum we paid to lay on his face all game its a full turn around!
Besides he's onfield greatness he matches or even shadows it at time with his offfield character...

Anyway, you think those stats are impressive?!
You should see my madden stats! Him and JJ are my go to players unless I'm rushing w rak or kerrigan... And his numbers are BEAST! :twisted:

:?: :hmm:

Like *Deadskins said.. same difference! Lmao
Seriously though, I get the former enemy team confused with Bowen- the former puke. We acquired both the same season. That's my fault.
Funny thing I started thinking about people putting me on blast when I realized what I posted. Actually pretty tame, Darth helped me out by pointing out the gnats are equally the most hated now lmao.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I have to say I am very surprised as well. I always thought he was solid but never knew he was that good stat wise.

I still feel our Dline would be that much better with another Nose tackle and moving Cofield to LDE/RDE. Still it is not like our Dline is a weakness. Our secondary obviously was the weakness last year. So I am glad we addressed the secondary in the draft.

Kudos to big Barry C. :D
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:18 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I have to say I am very surprised as well. I always thought he was solid but never knew he was that good stat wise.

I still feel our Dline would be that much better with another Nose tackle and moving Cofield to LDE/RDE. Still it is not like our Dline is a weakness. Our secondary obviously was the weakness last year. So I am glad we addressed the secondary in the draft.

I hear Albert "the wallow" Haynesworth is looking for a job.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:08 am

Countertrey wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:I have to say I am very surprised as well. I always thought he was solid but never knew he was that good stat wise.

A Job Doing What?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 am

Albert who? Fat Albert?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am

1niksder wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

A Job Doing What?
Nobody wallows like "the wallow".
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Countertrey wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

A Job Doing What?
Nobody wallows like "the wallow".

What a shame. He could have been the best if he wanted it.

Postby yupchagee » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Let him keep looking.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm

The Hogster wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Been hearing a lot of praise about Jarvis Jenkins this off season. I'd like to see him step up strong as well. Two powerhouses on the front line is pretty scary considering our LBs.

If he played in a 4-3, he'd play End, but in a 3-4, the D Ends are more like agile Defensive Tackles who take on Guards, Tackles & Double Teams, for which he'd be undersized by 40-50lbs. Not that it's impossible, but most 3-4 ends are in the 300lb category like Carriker, Jenkins, and Bowen.

Understood. Thanks for the clarity Hogster!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

Understood. Thanks for the clarity Hogster!

Expect to see this kid on obvious passing situations. We gravely need speed at the LB position.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football