McNabb on RG III

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

McNabb on RG III

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm

The 'Who Cares?' Files: McNabb on RG III

I feel like I've been pretty clear on this, but it's in the news again so this seems like a good opportunity to restate some things:

1. I don't care, at all, what Donovan McNabb has to say about Robert Griffin III.

2. I am 1,000 percent confident that Griffin doesn't either, and he shouldn't.

3. I don't see why anyone, anywhere would care what McNabb has to say about Griffin, because the first time we heard him on this topic he was both insanely wrong and clearly biased. McNabb's "First Take" appearance last spring, in which he deployed a nakedly obvious grudge against Mike Shanahan to assert that Griffin would be a poor fit for the Redskins' offense, completely deprived him of any credibility on this topic forever.

And yet, people keep asking him, and he keeps saying things that enlighten us about nothing other than his own jealousy and anger. Such as this:

"It's too much right now; it's just too much," McNabb told the Washington Post from his Arizona home. "I get some of things he's doing to draw attention to himself: the adidas commercials, going out and enjoying the life of a young, famous NFL quarterback. I understand RG has a lot of stuff going on.

"But if you're coming off ACL surgery, you don't need to be having a press conference at OTAs. Every week? Really? It becomes a circus, a sideshow. It takes away from the focus of what those sessions are supposed to be about: the team."

McNabb said the added attention can be "counterproductive."

Whatever, dude. One of the best things about Griffin is the extent to which he's obviously comfortable in his own skin. It's part of what makes him a good, level-headed young man, part of what makes him a great player, part of what makes him a natural leader. He knows who he is and how he wants to live his life, and to this point there has been not one shred of evidence that his focus or his priorities are misplaced, or that anything about him has been a distraction to his teammates. Griffin understands the high level of interest in him and his recovery, and holding a news conference to answer questions every week is a perfectly acceptable way of handling that. The attention Griffin got last year didn't keep the Redskins from winning 10 games and the NFC East, and I sincerely doubt it's keeping anyone from getting good work done during OTAs.

I'm sorry Donovan McNabb isn't a man at peace. He was a great player who had a great career and should feel very good about that. But he's obviously still upset about the way things went for him in Washington, and quite frankly he's taking it out in childish ways with regard to Griffin, who has done nothing to deserve it. I think he should find something else to talk about.

My view is RGIII is doing what he has to do to get ready for the season, he's not out there getting negative press or doing negative things. RGIII is being RGIII. He's rehabing, getting ready to tie the knot, and all in for week one.

Here's a shocker... First Take's Veiw

I'm siding with both Skip and Steven A on this one
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 pm

I feel bad for McNabb. He had a great career and spent a long time building up a reputation for being classy. The questions about his work ethic at the tail end of his playing days, and his more recent comments since then, have damaged that reputation a bit, IMO.

I don't know if he's just trying to be controversial to land a studio job or what, but I think he'd be better served living off his millions, playing golf, and basking in the glow of what so few people have been able to accomplish. Pick up a hobby like yoga, beer-making, writing a novel, whatever. Get married and raise a family. Coach high school football. He's got too much to live for to spend any more time ragging on RGIII.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 pm

More points that I tend to agree with By Chris Trapasso .....

Robert Griffin III, you don't need Donovan McNabb's advice.

Nothing he tells you will be groundbreaking insight that will aid your public image or your on-field success, because neither of those vital aspects of your professional career need to be fixed.

And frankly, McNabb's criticized you for ridiculous reasons that are simply out of your control. His desire to have a "father/son" sit-down with you and your pops seems like a desperate attempt for the retired quarterback to stay relevant.

In your short, ultra-hyped and exceptionally productive NFL career, you've handled yourself with integrity and cheerful openness with the fans, exuded a team-first attitude and have exhibited amicable, veteran-like poise with the media.

You led your team that was lacking talent in key areas—no offense—to a 10-win, division-title campaign in 2012 and won the Offensive Rookie of the Year award in the process.

Your professional football career has gotten off to an exquisite start.

You're good, bro.

The knee injury you suffered against the Seattle Seahawks in the first-round of the playoffs was gruesome—I cringed a little—and many subsequently faulted Mike Shanahan for keeping you in the do-or-die game when you were clearly hobbled.

With a prime opportunity to throw your head coach under the bus, you didn't.

Instead, you've astutely remained positive on your road to recovery and followed doctor's orders all while the entire world has told you repeatedly that you must be more careful when bolting from the pocket in 2013 and beyond to better protect your body and sustain your career as long as possible.

You're a smart guy, you understand that more feet-first slides and speedy scrambles to the sidelines need to be incorporated to your game.

Holding a press conference after your first time back on the field following an OTA session was the proper way to answer a barrage of questions you knew the media was dying to ask.

Were your teammates distracted? Didn't seem like it. If they are growing weary of your fame, they sure are amazingly quiet about it.

Your commercials...they're awesome. Adidas has decided to make you their football-marketing headliner, a monumental honor I know you're not taking for granted—and there's nothing wrong with making "extra money" while you can. Most people faulting you for accepting the company's desire to promote the heck out of you are jealous.

McNabb's just flat-out hypocritical.

Remember, he was in a variety of commercials during his playing days.

Guess he didn't deem those to be a distractions to his Philadelphia Eagles teammates at the time.

Your wedding registry controversy was really not controversial at all. Fans sent you gifts. Their choice. End of story.

Lastly, and most importantly, although McNabb has correctly likened himself to you—as an African-American quarterback with a rocket arm and highlight-reel running ability playing in the highly-publicized NFC East after going No. 2 overall in the draft—you don't owe him a darn thing, and neither does RG2.

What's funny is, he's condemning you for "creating distractions" for yourself and your Redskins club—one's that aren't really there—when having a private discussion with him could actually materialize into a legitimate distraction.

Don't forget, McNabb's not too fond of your coach, either.

You can respect him and admire his NFL achievements, but you and your father have done a remarkable job utilizing the hype you earned after you diced Big 12 secondaries en route to a Heisman Trophy in 2012 without it affecting your naturally humble outlook.

You're doing just fine. Just stay focused on your rehabilitation.

You don't need Donovan McNabb to tell you how to do RG3.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Re: McNabb on RG III

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

1niksder wrote:The 'Who Cares?' Files: McNabb on RG III

I feel like I've been pretty clear on this, but it's in the news again so this seems like a good opportunity to restate some things:

1. I don't care, at all, what Donovan McNabb has to say about Robert Griffin III.

2. I am 1,000 percent confident that Griffin doesn't either, and he shouldn't.

3. I don't see why anyone, anywhere would care what McNabb has to say about Griffin, because the first time we heard him on this topic he was both insanely wrong and clearly biased. McNabb's "First Take" appearance last spring, in which he deployed a nakedly obvious grudge against Mike Shanahan to assert that Griffin would be a poor fit for the Redskins' offense, completely deprived him of any credibility on this topic forever.

And yet, people keep asking him, and he keeps saying things that enlighten us about nothing other than his own jealousy and anger. Such as this:

"It's too much right now; it's just too much," McNabb told the Washington Post from his Arizona home. "I get some of things he's doing to draw attention to himself: the adidas commercials, going out and enjoying the life of a young, famous NFL quarterback. I understand RG has a lot of stuff going on.

"But if you're coming off ACL surgery, you don't need to be having a press conference at OTAs. Every week? Really? It becomes a circus, a sideshow. It takes away from the focus of what those sessions are supposed to be about: the team."

McNabb said the added attention can be "counterproductive."

Whatever, dude. One of the best things about Griffin is the extent to which he's obviously comfortable in his own skin. It's part of what makes him a good, level-headed young man, part of what makes him a great player, part of what makes him a natural leader. He knows who he is and how he wants to live his life, and to this point there has been not one shred of evidence that his focus or his priorities are misplaced, or that anything about him has been a distraction to his teammates. Griffin understands the high level of interest in him and his recovery, and holding a news conference to answer questions every week is a perfectly acceptable way of handling that. The attention Griffin got last year didn't keep the Redskins from winning 10 games and the NFC East, and I sincerely doubt it's keeping anyone from getting good work done during OTAs.

I'm sorry Donovan McNabb isn't a man at peace. He was a great player who had a great career and should feel very good about that. But he's obviously still upset about the way things went for him in Washington, and quite frankly he's taking it out in childish ways with regard to Griffin, who has done nothing to deserve it. I think he should find something else to talk about.

My view is RGIII is doing what he has to do to get ready for the season, he's not out there getting negative press or doing negative things. RGIII is being RGIII. He's rehabing, getting ready to tie the knot, and all in for week one.

Here's a shocker... First Take's Veiw

I'm siding with both Skip and Steven A on this one

I don't see why anyone, anywhere would care what McNabb has to say about Griffin

Delete the last 2 words & it's still true.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I feel bad for McNabb. He had a great career and spent a long time building up a reputation for being classy. The questions about his work ethic at the tail end of his playing days, and his more recent comments since then, have damaged that reputation a bit, IMO.

I don't know if he's just trying to be controversial to land a studio job or what, but I think he'd be better served living off his millions, playing golf, and basking in the glow of what so few people have been able to accomplish. Pick up a hobby like yoga, beer-making, writing a novel, whatever. Get married and raise a family. Coach high school football. He's got too much to live for to spend any more time ragging on RGIII.

=D>
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 pm

emoses14 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I feel bad for McNabb. He had a great career and spent a long time building up a reputation for being classy. The questions about his work ethic at the tail end of his playing days, and his more recent comments since then, have damaged that reputation a bit, IMO.

=D>

Beat me to it.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Bernard Hopkins tells RG3 to run from McNabb

“A fool can give you advice, not to be a fool,” Hopkins said. “So everybody has an advice to give, because someway, positive or negative, they have an advice for what to be or what not to be, . . . Even a homeless man, even a dopehead, this person or that person, they can give you advice. But is it the right advice, is the key.

“And if McNabb is giving him the right advice — help him not become you by giving him that advice, . . . I’m McNabb. I want to explain to him, I had an opportunity to play for the NFL. I conned my way through like I was somebody I wasn’t, . . . I blew it. I blew it. I’m letting you understand, RGIII, don’t choke every time. Or any time.”

WOW :!:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

When you're right, you're right. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 am

Donovan McNabb: Redskins brainwashing RG3

"I'm just trying to help him, but clearly the young generation think they have all the answers," McNabb said on NBC Sports Radio, via CSNPhilly.com. "And he's going through a little turmoil right now of trying to get out on the field. And it's unfortunate, but that's where we're at right now as far as these young quarterbacks who think they have all the answers."

"I honestly think that over there in Washington he's getting brainwashed."

Sad...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 am

1niksder wrote:Donovan McNabb: Redskins brainwashing RG3

"I'm just trying to help him, but clearly the young generation think they have all the answers," McNabb said on NBC Sports Radio, via CSNPhilly.com. "And he's going through a little turmoil right now of trying to get out on the field. And it's unfortunate, but that's where we're at right now as far as these young quarterbacks who think they have all the answers."

"I honestly think that over there in Washington he's getting brainwashed."

Sad...

Wow. How big is Donovan's mouth and how many feet does he have available to stick into it? Good grief man, just stop talking. The words aren't working for your right now.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:43 pm

No doubt. It would be one thing if RGIII had reached out to McNabb for advice, but he hasn't.

I totally agree with the posters above who said Donovan has really damaged his reputation the past couple years. I would have expected to see him end up with a cushy ESPN analyst job.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Why the hell does he continue to talk about RGIII? It's getting pretty creepy that he just won't leave it alone.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm

RG3 on McNabb: "I don't think Donovan is an idiot by any means, but right now, it's probably best we don't talk."

Well played, sir. Well played! =D>
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm

1niksder wrote:More points that I tend to agree with By Chris Trapasso .....

Just read that again. He nailed it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
1niksder wrote:More points that I tend to agree with By Chris Trapasso .....

Just read that again. He nailed it.
Yup... pretty much!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football