Looks like either Bacarri Rambo or Phillip Thomas will start

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Which rookie will start the season?

Phillip Thomas
39%
Bacarri Rambo
61%

Total votes : 18

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I picked Thomas because I think he's more of a natural ballhawk. I'd have been very happy had we picked each a round sooner. Even 2 round sooner would have been OK.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I'm thinking that Safety (both positions) has gone from pathetic to a strength...

Can't say that I agree. I have high hopes for the guys we drafted, but any time you are going into the season with your 4th or 6th round pick slotted to start . . . before you've really even seen what they can do in training camp (much less preseason games) . . . you aren't dealing with a particularly deep or solid unit.

That said, I feel about 10x better about this group than I did going into week one of last year. (We didn't look too bad IMHO prior to preseason and the Jackson suspension.)
Hardly fair... in any other year, both would have gone in the second or third round. The depth of this draft at DB was one of those "hundred year storm" type of affairs.
Both of these players are steals of the Kirk Cousins type... high quality prospects who should never have been available where they were... and will be major contributors...

On that note.. our sixth rounder starter from last year did OK... Ask Portis!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:53 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
Countertrey wrote:I'm thinking that Safety (both positions) has gone from pathetic to a strength...

Can't say that I agree. I have high hopes for the guys we drafted, but any time you are going into the season with your 4th or 6th round pick slotted to start . . . before you've really even seen what they can do in training camp (much less preseason games) . . . you aren't dealing with a particularly deep or solid unit.

That said, I feel about 10x better about this group than I did going into week one of last year. (We didn't look too bad IMHO prior to preseason and the Jackson suspension.)
Hardly fair... in any other year, both would have gone in the second or third round. The depth of this draft at DB was one of those "hundred year storm" type of affairs.
Both of these players are steals of the Kirk Cousins type... high quality prospects who should never have been available where they were... and will be major contributors...

On that note.. our sixth rounder starter from last year did OK... Ask Portis!

Yeah, but he wasn't tagged to start pre-training camp. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Re: Looks like either Bacarri Rambo or Phillip Thomas will s

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 am

drocksthaparty wrote:I didn't see this posted, but Jim Haslett has spoke.

Which player do you think wins? Take the poll?

I really don't care who 'starts' at any position - I just hope that they all help each other during the game and for the whole season

there's a good chance that both will play a lot here - the guys that brought them in know what this team needs and who can best help here
always look on the bright side of life

Hail to the Redskins

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 am

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Well let's say Thomas would go in round 2 and Rambo in round 3. I guess in that world I'd feel even better about the depth and average quality of our players at safety. But still, would I call it a position of "strength"? No way; not this early, at least.

I think these guys are going to have a lot to learn. I expect some hiccups along the way. I do think they'll both be long-term contributors, but let's be honest that if even one of them becomes a long-term solution, a reliable starter that makes us "forget" the position for 5-6 years, then Shanahan struck gold. It's difficult to find that past rounds one and two of the draft.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:52 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Well let's say Thomas would go in round 2 and Rambo in round 3. I guess in that world I'd feel even better about the depth and average quality of our players at safety. But still, would I call it a position of "strength"? No way; not this early, at least.

I think these guys are going to have a lot to learn. I expect some hiccups along the way. I do think they'll both be long-term contributors, but let's be honest that if even one of them becomes a long-term solution, a reliable starter that makes us "forget" the position for 5-6 years, then Shanahan struck gold. It's difficult to find that past rounds one and two of the draft.

I don't put much stock into the Round for Thomas because of the amount of highly rated safeties that were in this draft. I consider Rambo in an entirely different category because he dropped due to non-football related issues. I think Rambo is a legit 2-3rd round pick if he were a model citizen.

What it comes down to is competition. It looks as though Thomas is competing with Brandon Merriweather--an experienced vet who has been to the Pro Bowl. Rambo is competing with a hode podge of guys that nobody wants to see start in an ideal scenario to begin with. Advantage Rambo.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 am

The Hogster wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

I don't put much stock into the Round for Thomas because of the amount of highly rated safeties that were in this draft. I consider Rambo in an entirely different category because he dropped due to non-football related issues. I think Rambo is a legit 2-3rd round pick if he were a model citizen.

What it comes down to is competition. It looks as though Thomas is competing with Brandon Merriweather--an experienced vet who has been to the Pro Bowl. Rambo is competing with a hode podge of guys that nobody wants to see start in an ideal scenario to begin with. Advantage Rambo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... and-rambo/
It appears you are correct, in that Rambo is get PT at FS and Thomas at SS. I thought it was the other way around, hence my vote for Thomas. If I could, I would switch my vote.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:55 am

We definitely need more athelticism on the field. OVer the weekend, I must have rewatched 2 or 3 games and a few interceptions were left on the field by Madieu Williams. He simply didn't have the ability to close the gap on a few over thrown passes, not even a diving attempt.

As much as our curiousity would like to see both rookies on the field this year, this team will be better off if only one of them is needed. Merriweather is a beast and a game changer for us at SS. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football