Turf at FedEx....???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Turf at FedEx....???

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Is this good news? How about some Synthetic turf instead?

You can be sure that both RGIII and his Redskins teammates—along with other NFL notables—are loving the images of a completely new field, the constitution of which is a new bermudagrass sod mix specifically designed by Oklahoma State University horticulture experts in conjunction with the United States Golf Association. “Latitude 36,” as the lawn is called, started commercial production in 2011, and has a better pedigree than the team that will be playing on it: It captured the “top bermudagrass” award in the prestigious National Turf Evaluation Program.

So I tried looking for past Threads about this topic.....but couldn't locate any. Sorry Mod.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/06/20/six-months-after-the-turf-ate-rgiiis-knee-theres-fluffy-new-grass-in-fedexfield/
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:45 pm

There was a thread at some point but this article brings a depth that previous reports didnt. Worthy of a new thread.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Turf at FedEx....???

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:54 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:How about some Synthetic turf instead?

Dear God no.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Re: Turf at FedEx....???

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Is this good news? How about some Synthetic turf instead?

You can be sure that both RGIII and his Redskins teammates—along with other NFL notables—are loving the images of a completely new field, the constitution of which is a new bermudagrass sod mix specifically designed by Oklahoma State University horticulture experts in conjunction with the United States Golf Association. “Latitude 36,” as the lawn is called, started commercial production in 2011, and has a better pedigree than the team that will be playing on it: It captured the “top bermudagrass” award in the prestigious National Turf Evaluation Program.

So I tried looking for past Threads about this topic.....but couldn't locate any. Sorry Mod.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/06/20/six-months-after-the-turf-ate-rgiiis-knee-theres-fluffy-new-grass-in-fedexfield/

Artificial turf should be banned from the universe. Football should be played on grass.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 am

^^^

so you say, but how many NFL teams actually play on fake turf? I counted about 13 stadiums that use FAKE grass or a combo real/fake like Lambeau Field.

I do agree: Ain't nothing like the real think baby....!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu ... e_stadiums
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Grass... and occasional mud. Say no to artificial.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:34 am

I could live with one of those hybrid upgrades that makes a small percentage of the field synthetic to strengthen the (natural) grass. But it's gotta be dirt under the field, not cut-up tires. A clean uniform at the end of a game is a shameful thing.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:45 am

Fun to see the players slogging it out in the mud, but I don't really have any problem with turf if they have something the players are happy with. Fedex last year was an embarrassment.

I'm pretty sure there are statistically fewer injuries on the newer turf fields compared to grass also.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 am

It won't meen a thing if they don't stop holding concerts and Army/Navy football games during the season, especially later in the season when grass just doesn't grow in the DMV.

I would prefer they didn't hold any other events from Sept - Jan, but at a bare minimum don't hold any events on the fields from Nov - Jan.

Hold all of the SCCA Solo or NASA autocross events that you want to hold in the parking lot, but keep the fields closed to all but the Redskins during the season. This is one avantage of owning your own stadium, you can control who you rent it to.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Good point. But that lost revenue sounds like a recipe for even higher ticket prices.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 am

riggofan wrote:Good point. But that lost revenue sounds like a recipe for even higher ticket prices.

I doubt it. Snyder will charge what the market will bear, not what he wants to charge.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
riggofan wrote:Good point. But that lost revenue sounds like a recipe for even higher ticket prices.

I doubt it. Snyder will charge what the market will bear, not what he wants to charge.

You doubt it why? Because Snyder has proven so willing to lose a buck and not milk every penny out of the team and Fedex field? lol. Those extra concerts and college football games generate millions of dollars.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 pm

riggofan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

You doubt it why? Because Snyder has proven so willing to lose a buck and not milk every penny out of the team and Fedex field? lol. Those extra concerts and college football games generate millions of dollars.

That wasn't his point at all. He's saying he won't charge more for football gamesthan the market would allow, meaning he is already squeazing every penny he can out of Redskins fans.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

That wasn't his point at all. He's saying he won't charge more for football gamesthan the market would allow, meaning he is already squeazing every penny he can out of Redskins fans.

I get that. My point a couple posts back though was that Snyder wouldn't cancel all of those other events without recouping the lost revenue.

I agree he can't raise ticket prices 300%, so he probably isn't cancelling all of the concerts and monster truck rallies no matter how much it would help the field.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm

This field is looking really good ....

I cannot wait to see RG3 running on it again :twisted:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football