Problem at LB?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

IF all are healthy, take the starters out when tired to keep them fresh. BUT, as we all know injuries do happen so its good to have some insurance.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

They'll probably rotate out Flether/Orakpo as much as possible to keep them fresh. Kerrigan plays every snap so doubt he'll be off the field much if at all this season.

I want to see someone step up and look like a logical starter in next to Riley next season. We won't find anyone as good as Fletcher but we need to find someone who is a serviceable starter.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Re: Problem at LB?

Postby markshark84 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Yes, we have a problem at LB. How do we play them all?

Kerrigan - Probowler
Orakpo - Probowler
Fletch - Probowler
Riley - A bit underrated, he's been playing really well for us.
Jackson - Great pass defender

How do we get them all on the field at once? What are your ideas? Bench Riley on obvious passing downs? Fletch is our weakest link in pass coverage, but can you really sit him down?

This has been mostly a foreign concept to skins fans for close to 20 years, but this is what depth looks like.

All 5 of them don't have to start. All 5 don't have to play at the same time. However, all 5 can get quality time depending on the defensive packages, situations, rotation, and inevitable injuries. All they need to do is be on the same page and buy into the gameplan set forth by our defensive coaches. LB is the most versitile position on the field; they will all get snaps.

What is great about this situation is that less downs more spread out means less likelihood of injury.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Yeah yeah. You know who else had five linebackers? JIM ZORN!!!

:)

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:having depth like we have at LB, in such a short amount of time, is just another example of how great so many of these acquisitions have been

Not to disagree with your main point, but Shanahan only brought in one of those players, the rest were Vinny. :oops:

I credit Mike for realizing the worth of these players. This team was gutted to the extreme but these guys remained and every one of them have produced in huge ways for us.

I can't think of a single player who was cut that really made an impact somewhere else. The only player that comes to mind is Carlos but that was mutual and he didn't really want to be here. But fine, count him. That's 1 out of 30+ players? Or are my numbers off?

Andre Carter had a good season in NE the yr after he left us.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm

riggofan wrote:Yeah yeah. You know who else had five linebackers? JIM ZORN!!!

and your point is what? Jim Zorn had absolutely NO clue about how to be a HC in the NFL - ZERO - possibly one of the worst hirings in the NFL - EVER -even worse than Spurrier

I love Jim Zorn but he's never going to be considered to be even a capable HC - great guy - but he had absolutely no idea of how to run an NFL franchise - NONE
Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Jim Zorn had absolutely NO clue about how to be a HC in the NFL - ZERO - possibly one of the worst hirings in the NFL - EVER -even worse than Spurrier

I don't agree with that at all.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Jim Zorn had absolutely NO clue about how to be a HC in the NFL - ZERO - possibly one of the worst hirings in the NFL - EVER -even worse than Spurrier

I don't agree with that at all.

:lol: well ... maybe I was a little harsh ... :oops:

I do like Jim Zorn and, at the time, I hoped he could help our franchise ... he obviously had no chance here ...

even if he had 6 LBs ... :lol:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:02 am

SkinsJock wrote:

and your point is what? Jim Zorn had absolutely NO clue about how to be a HC in the NFL - ZERO - possibly one of the worst hirings in the NFL - EVER -even worse than Spurrier

I love Jim Zorn but he's never going to be considered to be even a capable HC - great guy - but he had absolutely no idea of how to run an NFL franchise - NONE

Sorry man, I was completely kidding with that comment. You know we were just discussing that stupid Shanahan/Zorn comparison article. :)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am

riggofan wrote:Sorry man, I was completely kidding with that comment. You know we were just discussing that stupid Shanahan/Zorn comparison article. :)

no worries - it's just more of the same from the media - I know the Skins have been very good fodder for these guys in the past but to try and compare those 2 as HCs is just mediotic

actually - as some have pointed out - that this idiot is a HOF voter is even more troubling than the stupid articles he puts out there :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:Sorry man, I was completely kidding with that comment. You know we were just discussing that stupid Shanahan/Zorn comparison article. :)

no worries - it's just more of the same from the media - I know the Skins have been very good fodder for these guys in the past but to try and compare those 2 as HCs is just mediotic

actually - as some have pointed out - that this idiot is a HOF voter is even more troubling than the stupid articles he puts out there :roll:

+12-4 in 2013 for the term "mediotic"
ROTFALMAO
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:27 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I still think the worst was Mike Nixon. it took him 2 yrs to win 4 games.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

yupchagee wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

I still think the worst was Mike Nixon. it took him 2 yrs to win 4 games.

my apologies - I posted that after a few too many drinks ... :oops:

Zorn was never really given any chance of success - the players he had to work with were not assembled with any plan in mind and his authority was severely curtailed by you know who ..

not saying that Zorn might have been a good HC ... he just was in the wrong situation ... and things might have been better if he were not made HC but came in as an OC or ... never mind ... :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:26 pm

:)

Hey --- if you count Carter they could have had 6............ including Fletch, Orakpo, McIntosh, Blades, & Alexander.

What's different is the current group of coaches appear to know how to use their players.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Can any of them play defensive end? :)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football