Jarvis Jenkins PEDs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Jarvis Jenkins PEDs

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Jarvis Jenkins - DL - Redskins

NFL suspended LE Jarvis Jenkins four games for violating the league's policy against performance enhancing substances.

It's a particularly big blow to Washington's defense because No. 3 end Adam Carriker may miss the enter season following a third quadriceps surgery. Jenkins, the Redskins' second-round pick in 2011, made 15 starts last year, including the playoffs. Pro Football Focus gave him high grades as a run defender. The Redskins are suddenly thin at defensive end, with Kedric Golston, Phillip Merling, and Chris Baker now competing to be a Week 1 starter.

Jul 26 - 4:05 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Jarvis Jenkins Suspended

Postby riggofan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Great.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... substance/

RICHMOND—The NFL has suspended Washington Redskins defensive end Jarvis Jenkins for the first four games of the season for a violation of the league’s policy on banned performance-enhancing substances.

The league announced the suspension but did not provided details about Jenkins’s violation.

He is eligible to participate in training camp practices and preseason games. His suspension is without pay.

Jenkins took over as a starter last season after Adam Carriker’s season-ending injury. He was to remain the starter this season, with Carriker remaining sidelined after undergoing a third surgery this week for his injured quadriceps tendon.

In a written statement, Jenkins said: “When I learned that I tested positive for a substance that is banned under the NFL policy, I was shocked and confused. It’s an obscure substance that I’ve never even heard of, and I still don’t know how it got into my body. My only guess is that it came from one of the supplements I was taking around the time of the test, even though none of them listed anything banned.

“I’m very sorry for the effect of this situation on my teammates and coaches, and I also apologize to my family and all Redskins fans. I will be very, very ready to contribute as soon as I get back for Game 5.”

The suspension will cost Jenkins $167,009 of his $709,789 salary for the season.

Redskins reserve linebacker Rob Jackson also is suspended for the first four games of the season for a violation of the same policy.

The team has had at least eight players suspended over the past three seasons for violations of the league’s two drug-related policies, the substance abuse policy and the policy on banned performance-enhancing substances. That list includes left tackle Trent Williams, tight end Fred Davis, cornerback Phillip Buchanon, safety Tanard Jackson, offensive tackle Jordan Black, cornerback Cedric Griffin, Jackson and Jenkins.

The depth of the Redskins’ defense is being put to the test. Reserve linebacker Keenan Robinson suffered a torn pectoral muscle in Thursday’s opening practice of training camp.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Gotcha by 2 minutes but whateva.

Bummer, either way.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Re: Jarvis Jenkins PEDs

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Jarvis Jenkins - DL - Redskins

NFL suspended LE Jarvis Jenkins four games for violating the league's policy against performance enhancing substances.

It's a particularly big blow to Washington's defense because No. 3 end Adam Carriker may miss the enter season following a third quadriceps surgery. Jenkins, the Redskins' second-round pick in 2011, made 15 starts last year, including the playoffs. Pro Football Focus gave him high grades as a run defender. The Redskins are suddenly thin at defensive end, with Kedric Golston, Phillip Merling, and Chris Baker now competing to be a Week 1 starter.

Jul 26 - 4:05 PM

do these guys make the decision to take PEDs on their own or are they encouraged by medical people (maybe even Redskins' trainers) to 'try' this stuff?

IF they decide this on their own, they are not very bright and are really hurting the 'team' ... what am I missing here?
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:52 pm

WTF!! We starting to catch up with them Seahawks in players with banned substances the past few years.

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:04 pm

According to Jenkins he had never heard of whatever it was & thinks it might have been in a supplement. Sometimes I think you need a degree in pharmacy to keep all this straight.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm

yupchagee wrote:According to Jenkins he had never heard of whatever it was & thinks it might have been in a supplement. Sometimes I think you need a degree in pharmacy to keep all this straight.

I think that we 'hear' something like this from many players who are 'caught'

These guys ALL know that EVERYTHING they 'take' should be verified by the NFL as NOT having ANYTHING in it that could get them suspended

OK - we assume Jenkins knew EVERYTHING was 'approved' - all he needs to do now is go back to the NFL and get himself cleared ...

IF that is not the case then he's an idiot - saying I did not know is admitting you did not do what you knew you had to do
get outa here - go home to mommy
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
yupchagee wrote:According to Jenkins he had never heard of whatever it was & thinks it might have been in a supplement. Sometimes I think you need a degree in pharmacy to keep all this straight.

I think that we 'hear' something like this from many players who are 'caught'

These guys ALL know that EVERYTHING they 'take' should be verified by the NFL as NOT having ANYTHING in it that could get them suspended

OK - we assume Jenkins knew EVERYTHING was 'approved' - all he needs to do now is go back to the NFL and get himself cleared ...

IF that is not the case then he's an idiot - saying I did not know is admitting you did not do what you knew you had to do
get outa here - go home to mommy

I agree. It is unfortunate that we are losing him for a period of time. I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and it will never happen again.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Jenkins told 106.7-FM the Fan in Washington DC that the NFL tells players to ONLY take supplements with a union-sanctioned label on it. The supplement Jenkins took did NOT have this label.

so there you have it ...

oh, and by the way - Jenkins is "sorry" that he made this 'mistake ... are you kidding me?

I mean - you just cannot make this BS up - HOW STUPID are some of these guys?

I am so pissed at ANY player of any sport that INTENTIONALLY makes 'mistakes' that could easily be avoided - NO EXCUSE

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:39 pm

You lose Adam Kerrigan and then this... The good news is he should be back after 4 games. Gut feeling tells me that even though it was stupid, it wont happen again.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:You lose Adam Kerrigan and then this... The good news is he should be back after 4 games. Gut feeling tells me that even though it was stupid, it wont happen again.

In a perfect world - some other player gets a chance and shows they can play better than Jenkins AND we don't need him anymore - well ... maybe as a back-up, that would be fine with me :twisted:

HAIL

Currently 50-41

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Jenkins told 106.7-FM the Fan in Washington DC that the NFL tells players to ONLY take supplements with a union-sanctioned label on it. The supplement Jenkins took did NOT have this label.

so there you have it ...

oh, and by the way - Jenkins is "sorry" that he made this 'mistake ... are you kidding me?

I mean - you just cannot make this BS up - HOW STUPID are some of these guys?

I am so pissed at ANY player of any sport that INTENTIONALLY makes 'mistakes' that could easily be avoided - NO EXCUSE

They are football players not rocket scientists. It could be just an honest mistake...an unfortunate mistake, but we all do things we wish we could've done differently. It's just that with being in the NFL, it's going to be out there and in the open. If he makes the mistake twice, well, it wasn't really a mistake to begin with.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I find it real hard to believe that these players do not know what they are taking. They have access to free physicians, nutritionists, trainers, etc. All they have to do is ask.

Something I have learned in over 45 years in the legal profession is that no one is ever sorry when they get caught. There is no one in prison that is guilty of anything (just ask them).

It is to bad but he brought it on himself and let the team and fans down.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:32 pm

There is a reason that the NFLPA has a list of approved supplements... It's truly dumb for players to use anything that's not on that list... DUMB. Hopefully, lesson learned.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:You lose Adam Kerrigan and then this... The good news is he should be back after 4 games. Gut feeling tells me that even though it was stupid, it wont happen again.

Lose Whom :?: :?: :?: :?:
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football