Training camp news

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:01 pm

With players already lost to injuries in the early days of camp, the cycle begins for unemployed veterans.

According to Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com, the Redskins are bringing in linebacker Joe Mays for a visit.

They’re running short after the loss of Keenan Robinson to his latest torn pectoral muscle.

Mays was dumped by the Broncos this week, and would be starting-caliber replacement for the Redskins.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:06 pm

1niksder wrote:
With players already lost to injuries in the early days of camp, the cycle begins for unemployed veterans.

According to Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com, the Redskins are bringing in linebacker Joe Mays for a visit.

They’re running short after the loss of Keenan Robinson to his latest torn pectoral muscle.

Mays was dumped by the Broncos this week, and would be starting-caliber replacement for the Redskins.

this IS good news and we have to give a nod to the FO for quickly identifying a good player that could help
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 pm

this from yupchagee

Joe Mays
Draft: 2008 - 6th round 34th pick by the Philadelphia Eagles
Career:
46 games, 123 solo, 30 asst, 1/2 sack, 3 pd.

only played 6 games last yr.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Anybody know how the other RB Jamison is doing? I've heard stuff on Thompson but not the other. Also, what about Brandon Jenkins? Haven't heard anything on him since camp began.
Gone but not forgotten #21...forever in our hearts Sean Taylor

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Having a hard time finding good news from today.. Smfh
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Solid day for Redskins in Richmond

The Redskins appeared to suffer another setback at defensive end when Chris Baker got carted off the field late in Saturday’s practice.

But as it turned out, Baker was simply suffering from a case of cramps, according to Coach Mike Shanahan. Baker is a candidate to start the season as the first string left end because of Jarvis Jenkins’ four-game suspension and Adam Carriker’s leg surgery.

“He had an I.V.,” Shanahan said of Baker. “He should be okay.”

Meantime, wide receivers Donte’ Stallworth and Pierre Garçon as well as linebacker London Fletcher did not participate in Saturday’s practice – the first padded session of training camp. Cornerback Josh Wilson, who is coming off shoulder surgery, did not participate in team drills, while safety Brandon Meriweather, who is coming off knee surgery, took some first team reps off.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 pm

1niksder wrote:
The Redskins appeared to suffer another setback at defensive end when Chris Baker got carted off the field late in Saturday’s practice.

But as it turned out, Baker was simply suffering from a case of cramps, according to Coach Mike Shanahan. Baker is a candidate to start the season as the first string left end because of Jarvis Jenkins’ four-game suspension and Adam Carriker’s leg surgery.

“He had an I.V.,” Shanahan said of Baker. “He should be okay.”

Baker is suddenly very important.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby 1niksder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 am

Saturday Training Camp Practice Notes

Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is still relegated to 7-on-7 drills, where he drew ovations for his 8-for-10 completed passes.

His biggest round of applause actually came on a play when he was unable to find an open receiver. Running to his left, Griffin III kept his eyes downfield before tucking the ball and running past the line of scrimmage.

As defenders gingerly closed in on the franchise quarterback, Griffin III went into an exaggerated slide that drew raucous applause from fans. Griffin III grinned as he ran back to the huddle.

Here are some other observations from today's portion of practice that was open to the media:

* Running back Roy Helu Jr. has been a part of the regular rotation since returning from injury over the offseason. On one play during 11-on-11 drills, outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan burst into the backfield and wrapped him up with a play-stopping bear hug. Helu Jr. found success later during 7-on-7 drills, catching a swing pass out of the backfield and racing downfield past linebacker Perry Riley.

* Third-year receiver Aldrick Robinson has been a consistent target from Kirk Cousins and Robert Griffin III, getting plenty of opportunities to carve out his role in the offense. Today, he impressed on several occasions, including a 25-yard reception from Griffin III on a crossing pattern over the middle. Like many other receivers on this roster, Robinson is most dangerous when he has the ball in his hands, as he showed with his run after the catch.

* Rookie tight end Jordan Reed has been thrown into the mix immediately after returning from injury and practicing for the first time with teammates on Thursday. On draft day, Shanahan said that Reed's skillset was a combination not seen very often in an athlete, and he showed his gritty side today, chasing a Kirk Cousins pass that sailed out of bounds and matching the catch. He tried hard to stop himself before running into the crowd, but a wall of hands buffered his collision course, and he trotted back to the huddle.

Redskins training camp observations - Sat., July 27 By Rich Campbell

First, the injury/participation updates: Strong safety Brandon Meriweather took only a handful of reps during team drills in the afternoon. He noticeably limped on his surgically repaired right knee during the morning, but he moved fine in the afternoon.

What coach Mike Shanahan said about Meriweather’s recovery after practice is worth filing away: “We’ve limited him overall because I do see him being a little bit, or at least on the edge where I don’t want him to push himself too hard. We’ve got to get him back in football shape, probably more so than the rest of the [other players coming off surgeries].”

So Shanahan sees the need to be particularly cautious with Meriweather. That’s not particularly encouraging.

Defensive end Chris Baker left team drills early due to cramps. He received intravenous fluids and is expected to be fine. Receiver Donte Stallworth sat out the afternoon because he slightly strained his hamstring in the morning, Shanahan said.

Inside linebacker London Fletcher and receiver Pierre Garcon, both of whom had offseason surgery, sat out the afternoon as a maintenance day.
Also, free agent linebacker Joe Mays was scheduled to begin a visit with Redskins officials at 6 p.m. Shanahan would not say whether the Redskins intended to sign him.

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks for the update, 1niksider! That is exactly what I've been looking for since training camp started.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Postby 1niksder » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:08 am

Observations By Mike Jones

Santana Moss found himself matched up with E.J. Biggers often in one-on-one, seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills and routinely got the best of him.

Hall got upset with Rex Grossman for not throwing the ball on a particular one-on-one play on which Hall had Lewis blanketed on a comeback route, and rather than throw the ball as Lewis turned around, Grossman held up because he saw Hall was about to jump the route. Hall jawed at Grossman after he didn’t throw and was still upset after practice when asked about the play.

Kirk Cousins hasn’t looked the sharpest in these first three days of camp. His play has been rather inconsistent. He has had some nice passes, but there have also been a number of overthrows and underthrows – particularly on his deep passes. Several times receivers have had their men beat, but have had to slow up and wait on the ball as it hangs in the air.

Fourth-string quarterback Pat White had another rough day of practice. His biggest problem – aside from his lack of size and arm strength – so far, has seemed to be confidence and anticipation. He holds on to balls too long, and then the windows of opportunity for completions close and he can’t find open receivers. White also had a pass intercepted by cornerback Ryan Mouton, and it was hard to tell who he was throwing to in the right flat, because no receiver was in the area.

Cornerback Josh Wilson is working his way back into form, and after watching walk-throughs the last two days, he took part today and has reclaimed his spot as starting right cornerback. Amerson joins the starters in the nickel packages, and Wilson slides inside to cover slot receivers. However, during the seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 portion of practice, Wilson again was an observer, and it was Amerson as the starting right corner, and Biggers as the nickelback.

Rodrick Muckelroy filled in for Fletcher as the starting “mike” linebacker, making all the defensive calls and lining up alongside Perry Riley. Bryan Kehl, who previously had played “jack” linebacker behind Riley, got work as the second-team “mike” and Jeremy Kimbrough served as “jack.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 pm

1niksder wrote:Observations By Mike Jones

Hall got upset with Rex Grossman for not throwing the ball on a particular one-on-one play on which Hall had Lewis blanketed on a comeback route, and rather than throw the ball as Lewis turned around, Grossman held up because he saw Hall was about to jump the route. Hall jawed at Grossman after he didn’t throw and was still upset after practice when asked about the play.

That is a weird anecdote. Hall was ticked at Grossman for NOT throwing an INT??? lol.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I think its because in that 1 on 1 drills, the point is for the receiver and db to battle through the route and for/through the ball delivery. So if rex doesn't throw it, it's like no-one can win, and in this case it sounds like Hall thought he had great position and was pissed because it was a sure "win" for him.

I guess. I like the competitive fire that it shows, personally.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby Of The River » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 am

Good to see Cousins getting good reports.having a capable back up is vital

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I thought Keim's article on Robinson and Hankerson was way too critical and did not take into account the fact that Shanahan said Robinson was having a 'heck of a camp' during minicamp. Keim said Robinson dropped a few passes. Well, one was a long throw from Pat White, no further comment needed. Another was actually shown on film where he was tackled by the cornerback before the ball arrived..... Not Keim's best work. Looks he was busy exiting the Post to ESPN.

Add to the list RG3, who when asked who was the player he was most impressed with, he answered "Aldrick Robinson." "The way he catches in traffic now" etc.

I think everyone that talks about Aldrick forgets his play against the Bears in the preseason and his short catches against the Saints. They all say 'he's a one-trick pony going after the long bomb.'

Robinson's growth as a receiver is one reason the team is giving him so many reps now. I believe the other is because he's so fast, he's great for training the new secondary on the faster speed of the NFL. If they get used to Aldrick's speed and Hankerson's length, they'll be ready for everyone. Philip Thomas remarked already about how he can't believe how fast Robinson is.

Garcon and Robinson on the field at the same time would be a nightmare for DCs who already have to deal with the read-option :twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:10 pm

1niksder wrote:
I thought Keim's article on Robinson and Hankerson was way too critical and did not take into account the fact that Shanahan said Robinson was having a 'heck of a camp' during minicamp. Keim said Robinson dropped a few passes. Well, one was a long throw from Pat White, no further comment needed. Another was actually shown on film where he was tackled by the cornerback before the ball arrived..... Not Keim's best work. Looks he was busy exiting the Post to ESPN.

Add to the list RG3, who when asked who was the player he was most impressed with, he answered "Aldrick Robinson." "The way he catches in traffic now" etc.

I think everyone that talks about Aldrick forgets his play against the Bears in the preseason and his short catches against the Saints. They all say 'he's a one-trick pony going after the long bomb.'

Robinson's growth as a receiver is one reason the team is giving him so many reps now. I believe the other is because he's so fast, he's great for training the new secondary on the faster speed of the NFL. If they get used to Aldrick's speed and Hankerson's length, they'll be ready for everyone. Philip Thomas remarked already about how he can't believe how fast Robinson is.

Garcon and Robinson on the field at the same time would be a nightmare for DCs who already have to deal with the read-option :twisted:

Out of curiosity, who is that quote from?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football