BREAKOUT: Leonard Hankerson Behind the Numbers

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm

What's funny about the whole "fan perspective" thing... That ya the pitti drop is remembered, but what happened to all the "hanktime!!!" And "hail ya hank!" And "there ya go leo!" Chants we posted in all of the game day threads??
Personally, I remember a great year of growth for Hankerson and some extremely clutch, and crucial, first downs. Maybe no game winning TDs but for sure game winning drive-extending catches. He can do better, but I was not at all dissapointed...
As for Morgan, he played hungry! Had a mean streak about him and fought for every inch. I for one can't wait to see the ball in his hands, and expect a Morgan fan base to pop up this year as he makes big plays.
Garçon
Morgan
Hankerson
Robinson

Those are our guys, with Moss sprinkled in and passing on wisdom. My biased eyes see that lineup as pretty stout, especially with the accuracy of the best qb in the NFCE slingn the ball to em!
HAIL
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:He can do better, but I was not at all dissapointed...

That about sums it up for me too. All things considered last year, I thought Hankerson did ok for us.

The "he can do better" is the interesting part!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:What's funny about the whole "fan perspective" thing... That ya the pitti drop is remembered, but what happened to all the "hanktime!!!" And "hail ya hank!" And "there ya go leo!" Chants we posted in all of the game day threads??
Personally, I remember a great year of growth for Hankerson and some extremely clutch, and crucial, first downs. Maybe no game winning TDs but for sure game winning drive-extending catches. He can do better, but I was not at all dissapointed...
As for Morgan, he played hungry! Had a mean streak about him and fought for every inch. I for one can't wait to see the ball in his hands, and expect a Morgan fan base to pop up this year as he makes big plays.
Garçon
Morgan
Hankerson
Robinson

Those are our guys, with Moss sprinkled in and passing on wisdom. My biased eyes see that lineup as pretty stout, especially with the accuracy of the best qb in the NFCE slingn the ball to em!
HAIL

Agreed. You'd think RGIII was passing to himself the way some guys get ragged on. lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN

Didn't mention this in my report but Hankerson seems to be catching the ball better, doesn't fight with it like he did last year. #Redskins
8:30 PM - 23 May 2013
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 24, 2013 12:35 pm

2012 was his sophmore year, right? 2011, he was drafted during the lockout and a shortened off season? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If my thoughts are true, then this would be his third year. And if you want to be fair, it truly isn't 3 full offseasons. Typically, it takes WR's 3-4 years to really come into their own.

Let's look at the numbers...

In 2011 Hankerson...

- Played in 4 games
- 13 receptions
- targeted 20 times
- for 163 yards
- average 12.5 yards per catch
- longest reception was 23 yards
- 0 TD's
- 8 catches for a first down
- 0 fumbles

In 2012 Hankerson...

- Played 16 games
- 38 receptions
- 57 targets
- for 543 yards
- 14.3 yards per catch
- longest reception was 68 yards
- 3 TD's
- 25 catches for a first down
- 0 fumbles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am

More perspective on Hankersons 2012 campaign.

Pro Football Focus ranked him 13th in its wide receiver rating metric (among players who got 25 percent of his team's targets), which is quarterback rating on passes thrown to each receiver. He was efficient last season, and Griffin is certainly talented enough to make any good receiver a star.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am

Leonard Hankerson - WR - Redskins

Leonard Hankerson has continued to struggle with inconsistency early in training camp.

Hankerson had a drop in one-on-one drills in Saturday's practice, and coach Mike Shanahan noticed. "He’s got to be more consistent, not only blocking but catching the short route, the deep route," said Shanahan. "He has to have that concentration level." Hankerson is working behind Josh Morgan at Z receiver.

Source: Washington Times Jul 28 - 4:10 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:00 pm

People can throw around all the #s they want, but Hankerson hasn't turned into the type of receiver expected. The same thing was done for Jason Campbell a while back (i.e., throwing out #s in an attempt to support something that is clearly not there). In the NFL, talent is clear. If a player has "it", you don't need to throw up stats to prove it. No one needs to defend Garcon or Moss. People don't even have to defend Morgan --- who actually had WORSE stats than LH last year.

People claim receivers improve from year 3 to 4 and they may be true in isolated cases, but what have we seen from LH that would cause you to believe this will happen for him? Better yet, would you put $$$ on it?

And I wouldn't take much from the training camp reports. Basically everything that is said will have a positive spin on it --- and if it doesn't (like the washington times report).... uh oh.....

The bottom line is that everyone wants LH to improve and become the WR we expected. But it hasn't happened.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm

markshark84 wrote:People can throw around all the #s they want, but Hankerson hasn't turned into the type of receiver expected.

Who's expectations? Are you referring to the often unrealistic and often uneducated expectations of fans? I'd agree with that.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

markshark84 wrote:People can throw around all the #s they want, but Hankerson hasn't turned into the type of receiver expected.

I dunno man. If you can't judge a WR on his yards, catches and TDs, what exactly ARE you judging him on? Gut feeling?

markshark84 wrote:The bottom line is that everyone wants LH to improve and become the WR we expected. But it hasn't happened.

I just don't know what you mean by the "WR we expected". For all his potential, the guy was still a third round draft pick and broke his hip the first year. I wasn't expecting him to be Calvin Johnson last year. Steve Smith was a third round WR pick. Go take a look at his stats his first two years.

Anyway I think he's been okay - and thankfully he's no Malcolm Kelly! But I think its reasonable to expect that he should be living up to his potential in year three.

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

His receptions, yards & TD exceeded Henderson & Stallworth COMBINED last year.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 pm

yupchagee wrote:His receptions, yards & TD exceeded Henderson & Stallworth COMBINED last year.

lol.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I already posted how his numbers have improved from 2011 to 2012, apparently statistical evidence isn't enough for him. Lol. U know, who lets things like facts get in the way?

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I already posted how his numbers have improved from 2011 to 2012, apparently statistical evidence isn't enough for him. Lol. U know, who lets things like facts get in the way?

I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:05 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Wasn't there a stat in another thread showing that Garcon, Morgan and Moss dropped a higher percentage of passes than him? If anything, Hankerson needs to improve on his agility. He gets off kilter easily, it seems.

Yep:

Per PFF, Hankerson was targeted 55 times and he had 38 receptions and three drops. That gives him a drop rate of 7.32 percent. Of the 82 NFL wide receivers who played at least 25 percent of their teams’ snaps that is the 28th-best drop rate.

That’s not great but it was the best on the team. Pierre Garçon caught 44 passes and dropped five, a drop rate of 10.2 percent (51st in the NFL). Josh Morgan’s caught 48 and dropped seven for a rate of 12.73 percent (67th). Santana Moss, with six drops and 41 receptions had a rate of 12.77 (68th).

All the "drop" statistics I've seen are terrible
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football