Training camp news

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I hope all the players we cut make it to the 2014 pro bowl

Really? I hope all the players we keep make it to the 2014 Pro-Bowl.

:lol: - good by me :lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 am

emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Sounds like he's lost his passion for the game. We don't need that.

I wonder if all teams have guys that just up and quit the way that we have the last few years (article in the post about Tristan Davis mentioned we'd had 1 running back quit in each of the last 2 or 3 years and also 1 other player, maybe a d-lineman or linebacker)? Now it looks like Trueblood may essentially do the same through his play. Indicative of nothing, probably, but definitely weird

NOT weird at all - with 90 odd guys in NFL camps there are many that fail each and every year for a myriad of reasons :roll:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 am

SkinsJock wrote::shock: This might come as a surprise to some here - there are going to be a bunch of players in camp this week that will not make this roster or even be in the NFL at the end of August :lol:

I know it sounds amazing - and many here probably can't fathom that - but it's true :roll:

Aren't you one of the guys who thinks Pat White is going to make the final roster? :roll:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:11 am

Here are the Insider's notes from camp:

The Redskins made their way through a rain-soaked practice without incident Wednesday afternoon, and that sixth session of camp represented Robert Griffin III’s most extensive work thus far. By an unofficial count, Griffin took 15 snaps in seven-on-seven action. Griffin had seven completions on 14 pass attempts. He also threw two interceptions, and receivers dropped another three passes. On one snap, while working in the red zone, Griffin took off for the end zone after failing to find an open receiver. With defenders converging on him, Griffin showed a burst of acceleration on the soggy field. No word on whether Mike Shanahan’s heart briefly stopped beating as he watched this play.

● Josh Wilson recorded one of Griffin’s two interceptions, cutting in front of Niles Paul near the goal line to snag the pass. Richard Crawford came up with the other after covering a sideline route run by Aldrick Robinson and wrestling the ball away from the receiver just as the two fell to the ground.

● Griffin didn’t appear to plant on his back leg as firmly as he has on previous days. It’s unclear whether it was because of the rain or some other reason. He seemed to use more of his upper body to make throws rather than getting a good base and driving through his throws.

● A training camp-high 10 players sat out practice today with various bumps and bruises and veteran’s days off. Running back Chris Thompson (knee), fullback Darrel Young (knee), receiver Pierre Garcon (rest), linebacker Brian Orakpo (rest), linebacker London Fletcher (rest), guard Adam Gettis (hamstring), tight end Jordan Reed (knee), receiver Donte Stallworth (hamstring), linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough (hamstring) and cornerback DeAngelo Hall (ankle) all were not in pads.

● Safety Brandon Meriweather (knee) did individual drills, but was held out of team and one-on-one or seven-on-seven action for a fourth straight day.

● Trent Williams (wrist) did individual drills and team portions of practice that weren’t against a defense but didn’t take part in 11-on-11 action. Williams said he didn’t have an MRI exam done on that left wrist. Williams, who wore a brace on that sprained left wrist, said concern for him is unnecessary. “I feel honored that you guys worry about me. But there’s really no cause for it,” he said. Second-year pro Tom Compton played at left tackle with the first team and did fairly well in run blocking. He didn’t appear to make any grave errors in pass protection as he went up against Rob Jackson, who played in place of Orakpo.

● Aldrick Robinson took on the role of “X” receiver – the primary target on a number of plays – with Garcon sidelined.

● Santana Moss continues to get the best of E.J. Biggers, who is eight years his junior, in their individual and team matchups. Biggers has done well for the most part, whether lined up at left corner or at nickelback – when not matched up with Moss. On Wednesday, the wily veteran made Biggers look silly on a number of plays – particularly when running double-moves. The soggy field didn’t help Biggers at all, but the defensive back still was rather demonstrative in his body language after giving up catches to Moss, who chose to ham it up a bit.

● Biggers did intercept a Kirk Cousins pass intended for Robinson.

● Biggers wasn’t the only defensive back to struggle defending double moves on the wet field. Josh Wilson and Chase Minnifield also got turned around and gave up open catches to Nick Williams and Skye Dawson, respectively.

● Wide receiver Lance Lewis made an impressive one-handed grab over Wilson on a throw from Cousins on one play.

● Wilson on Wednesday went back to his roots and took part in kickoff returns. Wilson returned kicks in the four seasons prior to his arrival in Washington (both in Seattle and Baltimore). As a rookie, he averaged a career-best 27.5 yards per kick return. The following year, as Seattle’s primary return man, Wilson recorded 1,753 yards on 69 returns for a 25.4 average. That rookie year, Wilson had an 89-yard return for a touchdown. Wilson said he asked for some return work because he is required to attend every special teams meeting anyway. “I’ve got to show these young guys how it’s done,” he joked. “I told them to look me up on YouTube.”

● Roy Helu seems to have the edge in the competition for No. 2 back. The Redskins have used him in a variety of ways – standard run plays, option pitches, and as a receiver out of the backfield – to take advantage of his speed and catching ability.

● The Redskins announced Wednesday’s attendance at 7,823 fans with 2,611 showing up for the morning walk-through, and 5,212 for the afternoon practice.

Postby kenskin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:07 am

I'm in Richmond and am thrilled to have the team in my backyard.

Going down today with a buddy to watch the practice. Will take pics.

New to this site... but there is a site in Richmond that has some cameras where you can watch the training. Not real high quality but you get the picture: look at skinsrva.com

Hope that helps feed the fire!

Ken

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 am

kenskin wrote:I'm in Richmond and am thrilled to have the team in my backyard.

Going down today with a buddy to watch the practice. Will take pics.

New to this site...

Ken

Thanks, and welcome to the site.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby kenskin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks!

Wierd thing is there is a helicopter hovering over the field now, 9:33 AM on Friday. I thought a VIP was going to get off at first but now it looks like maybe they are trying to dry the field. Spare no expense!

HTTR!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:44 am

RGIII displays accuracy at Washington Redskins camp <---- NFL.com Video

Observations By Marc Sessler

After spending the offseason nestled in bubble wrap, Robert Griffin III is seeing more and more work in training camp for the Washington Redskins. Griffin put on a show Thursday, completing 16 of 17 throws in 7-on-7 drills, according to Mike Jones of The Washington Post.

The numbers aren't so important, but Griffin "appeared to plant better on his throws today than he did on Wednesday," Jones wrote. Coming off major knee surgery, Griffin showed keen footwork on his dropbacks, and "really planted and threw with impressive velocity" on a 15-yard strike to tight end Logan Paulsen.

Griffin's passes mostly were short ones -- dumpoffs and 5- to 10-yard tosses -- but The Post said he relied less on his upper body than in previous sessions.

RGIII's lone incompletion was an overthrow to Pierre Garcon. "He's got to get that other completion," coach Mike Shanahan joked.

We still want to see if Griffin's accuracy and "ball location" hold up in game situations after the ACL injury, but the early signs are positive. We have no doubt RGIII will be ready for Week 1.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:04 pm

A few thoughts/updates/funny quotes from Friday morning’s walkthough at the waterlogged Bon Secours training center:

Bacarri Rambo is still working exclusively as the first team free safety -- and it doesn't appear like that's going to change anytime soon.

If there were any questions about the starting right tackle in Week 1, there shouldn’t be. More than a week into camp, it’s apparent that Tyler Polumbus is the No. 1, Tony Pashos is his backup and Jeremy Trueblood is the third stringer.

Josh Morgan did not participate in the morning session, but says he expects to practice this afternoon. He tweaked his hamstring when he slipped on the wet turf late in Thursday’s practice. “It was just precautionary today,” he said. “Just making sure I didn’t pull anything.”

A local company had one of its helicopters hover over the fields this morning for 34 minutes in an attempt to dry them following two days of heavy rains. The fields were better, but still slick in spots, players said. “It didn’t work too much,” Morgan said. “We can’t complain. … But it's farm-like with the smell.”

Cornerback Richard Crawford, who appeared to strain his hamstring Thursday afternoon, was on the field Friday morning and occasionally participated.

WR Donte’ Stallworth (hamstring strain) participated in the walkthrough after watching from the sidelines for a few days. It will interesting to see if he practices this afternoon.

Trent Williams was not wearing a hard cast on his left wrist and hand for the morning walkthrough. But the Pro Bowl left tackle said the cast, which resembles a boxing glove, will be reapplied before the afternoon session. “It doesn’t feel great, but nobody out here feels great at this time,” he said. Asked how he hurt it, Williams said, “It’s wear and tear from football.”

Williams also had a little fun with all the media questions about the helicopter. Asked if he saw it, he cracked: “I did not. Did y’all see it? Was it cool? Take pics? Put it on your Instagram?"
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby kenskin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Was a pretty good crowd at the training camp this morning. Plenty of places to catch the action from the sidelines. I bought 2 tickets to the Skins motorcycle raffle!

The field and viewing area was still pretty wet from yesterdays rain.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Didn't you say something about pictures?

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby kenskin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Here's the video of the helicopter flying over the field drying it off this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXu6yDvXSM

HTTR

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I can't believe that video is over 12 minutes long.

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Deadskins wrote:I can't believe that video is over 12 minutes long.

:shock: It was out there for 34 mins... what happen to the rest :twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:19 am

RICHMOND—Here are a few thoughts and observations from Redskins training camp on Friday:
Alfred Morris’ ability to set up blocks distinguishes him from other running backs. During team drills, he was about eight yards downfield in space with receiver Pierre Garcon in front of him and cornerback David Amerson in pursuit. Morris ran toward Garcon’s right shoulder, which drew Amerson to the outside. At the last possible second, Morris planted his right foot and cut behind Garcon’s left shoulder. Amerson was an easy target for Garcon, and Morris sprinted past them.
Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan is having a good camp. On the first play of team drills, he got off the ball so quickly that he immediately split right tackle Tyler Polumbus and right guard Chris Chester and tackled running back Alfred Morris for a loss.
On a passing play later in the session, he got both hands into tight end Niles Paul’s chest and overpowered him with a bull rush. Kerrigan against Paul is a bit of a mismatch, but Kerrigan is consistently winning blocks against anyone he faces.
Maybe the novelty of Rex Grossman running the zone read will wear off at some point, but it hasn’t yet. The highlight of practice, for me at least, was Grossman’s zone-read keeper—more accurately, a veer play—around the right edge. Cornerback E.J. Biggers tried to split the distance between Grossman and the pitch man. Grossman faked the pitch, and Biggers bit. That opened a wide lane for Grossman, to the crowd’s—and my—delight.
Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed 13 of 17 passes during 7-on-7 drills. Of the four, two were clean drops; receiver Santana Moss couldn’t catch a high throw he got a hand on, and the other was a low ball behind receiver Aldrick Robinson.
Griffin continues to check most of his throws down, but he did connect with Robinson on a deep ball for a gain of about 50 yards. Robinson beat rookie cornerback David Amerson, although Amerson contested the catch on Robinson’s back. After the play, defensive backs coach Raheem Morris came down on safety Jordan Pugh for not staying back to defend a deep throw.

Read more here
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football