LB Nick Barnett signs with Skins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 am

EA7649 wrote:He seems pretty excited to join the team. I wonder if next year when we have more cap space if other "big name" free agents will prefer to come here ...
Having more depth and experience is never a bad thing.

The most important thing to this franchise is that they do NOT bring in "big name free agents - when players are brought in now it's more likely because that player fits into what we have

this FO has not made the really great mistakes that we used to make here by just adding "big name" free agents

that stuff ONLY works in Fantasy Football

With continued success we will see more players trying to be a part of what we have here but I'm sure the guys in charge here are going to continue to ONLY bring in players that make the other players better

A younger, more motivated player who is driven to making a difference is a really good thing ....
NO PLAYER is coming here based on what he's done - EVERY player that gets an opportunity here now is getting that based on what he will do :D

Nick Barnett seems to be a really great addition and wants to be able to add to our defense - good move IMO
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am

SkinsJock wrote:
EA7649 wrote:He seems pretty excited to join the team. I wonder if next year when we have more cap space if other "big name" free agents will prefer to come here ...
Having more depth and experience is never a bad thing.

The most important thing to this franchise is that they do NOT bring in "big name free agents - when players are brought in now it's more likely because that player fits into what we have

I'd say the answer is probably YES, more of the big name free agents will want to come here next year. We're a good, high profile, up and coming team. We have a legitimate coaching staff and front office and one of the most exciting players in the league at QB. We're now more than just the place to come get paid or to use as leverage in contract negotiations with other teams, thankfully.

I still agree with SkinsJock's point. If we end up pursuing a free agent next year, big name or not, I expect Shanahan is going to bring some sanity to those decisions.

btw I was curious to take a peek at what FAs might be available in 2014. I don't know that there were many of these guys I would even want to see the Skins go after. Just get a new deal done with Rak!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692 ... h-position

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:33 pm

They are good when you need to fill in wholes of a team. Preferably picking one up in late 20s rather than 30s or a washed up player. Don't have to over pay like our old $100mil man. Well aware of the its not fantasy football comment

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football