Lorenzo's Absence's Impact

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
G4L

Lorenzo's Absence's Impact

Postby Gibbs4Life » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 pm

When examining our teams defense I keep coming to the question how much will this team miss Lorenzo's contributions, skill set & leadership intangibles. It has to be the worst thing that happened this offseason.
HAIL

08 Champ

Re: Lorenzo's Absence's Impact

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:When examining our teams defense I keep coming to the question how much will this team miss Lorenzo's contributions, skill set & leadership intangibles. It has to be the worst thing that happened this offseason.

and if that proves true, this has been a pretty good offseason :lol:

Lorenzo contributed to this team's success and he was a really good leader ... we're most likely not going to see much of a drop off from not having him playing LB - we will miss his special team plays and leadership
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:When examining our teams defense I keep coming to the question how much will this team miss Lorenzo's contributions, skill set & leadership intangibles. It has to be the worst thing that happened this offseason.

I liked him, but I'm not exactly going to be pining my time away. He left by his choice, don't let the door hit you on the way out, Lorenzo.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby ACW » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:49 pm

I blame that ;furious; Mara.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I liked him, but I'm not exactly going to be pining my time away. He left by his choice, don't let the door hit you on the way out, Lorenzo.

... And I thought I was the only one who felt this way! He's still just a back up on this roster, dueces Lo'! Omg ~ Jack of all trades, MASTER of NONE.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:39 pm

I was worried about losing Alexander too. He made some good plays last year, not just on ST, but in a fill in role on D.

I felt a little better after the Barnett signing.

As for him leaving. I don't blame him. He needed to chase the money while he could get it. I blame Mara for handicapping us to the point we couldn't be competitive.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Alexander's role on the field was limited... he is one heck of a special teamer, and decent depth on defense... but his major role was being in the leadership mix.

That is what will be most missed... but that is certainly not a disaster...

meh. The OMG is gone... Best of luck to you, 'zo. Nice to see a nice guy get a payday...

But, the fact is, with the signing of Barnett... we just got a lot deeper.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:03 pm

I think Doughty will take over as ST captain & be a leader.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:29 am

I was a big fan of Zo, sad to see him go, but it won't stop us getting 2 in a row!

Every team loses a couple of good players every year no matter how well they've done (look at the Ravens!), so to only have lost Zo at this important stage in our development and crippled by the cap penalty was actually a result.

If we had lost Davis (which we almost did) it would have had a bigger all round impact on our fortunes next season than losing the ST captain, as good as he is.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 am

I think Alexander's biggest contribution the past couple years was his versatility. On a team without a lot of depth, he stepped in capably when we needed him too.

Seems to me that depth is getting to be much less of an issue this year, and I expect the ST coaches will identify some hungry guys who will get it done on special teams.

I wish Alexander well, but I think he'll end up wishing he had stayed here in Washington at the end of the day.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:I was worried about losing Alexander too. He made some good plays last year, not just on ST, but in a fill in role on D.

I felt a little better after the Barnett signing.

As for him leaving. I don't blame him. He needed to chase the money while he could get it. I blame Mara for handicapping us to the point we couldn't be competitive.

I don't "blame" Alexander for leaving. He had the choice of taking what we could pay him for the last year of our cap hit or leave for a little extra scratch. He chose the money. That was his priority. Fine, but I'm not going to say he's a core Skin to me. If he wants the money, he gets that, he doesn't get credit as if he chose to stay at the same time.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Veterans like F.David Cooley Moss and DHall were willing to work with the team during an unfair cap penalty LO should've also, he could've done a 1 yr and the team would've taken care of him. Imo
HAIL

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:Veterans like F.David Cooley Moss and DHall were willing to work with the team during an unfair cap penalty LO should've also, he could've done a 1 yr and the team would've taken care of him. Imo

It's not the same and I think it's rather unfair. Everyone there has received a decent sized pay at some point. Fred is in position to get his.

By definition of his role on this team, Zo this was his one and only chance to get a lucrative contract. More power to him.

That bein said, we'll survive and go on to have a good season.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:09 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Gibbs4Life wrote:Veterans like F.David Cooley Moss and DHall were willing to work with the team during an unfair cap penalty LO should've also, he could've done a 1 yr and the team would've taken care of him. Imo

It's not the same and I think it's rather unfair. Everyone there has received a decent sized pay at some point. Fred is in position to get his.

By definition of his role on this team, Zo this was his one and only chance to get a lucrative contract. More power to him.

That bein said, we'll survive and go on to have a good season.

How is it "unfair?" No one has blasted him or anything. He's been a fan favorite and bit of a cult hero here. I read an article on him in the St. Louis paper where they were telling fans there about all the positions he's played, they don't even really know. Why would fans who liked him and followed him not be a bit incredulous that after all that he'd leave for money?

He's going to get the money, but he had a lot of reasons to stay as well. And it's the last year of our cap penalty. He obviously had the right to go, but again he doesn't get credit as if he'd stayed. He didn't.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:How is it "unfair?" No one has blasted him or anything.

Your comment on him was pretty tame, but you'll definitely find some posts on here from people ripping Alexander for this move a lot more harshly.

I agree with CLL that its kind of unfair to compare his situation with Davis, Moss, Hall, Cooley, etc; in that he's not in the same class with those players. He might have trouble just making the 53, much less hanging around to earn some payday down the road. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure all of those guys have signed at least one lucrative contract earlier in their careers.

Anyway, I feel a lot better about Alexander who clearly preferred to stay here than a guy like Carlos Rogers who couldn't wait to get out.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football