Training camp news

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 am

Williams wrist is 'very, very sore'

Trent Williams is playing hurt, even though it’s just Day 8 of training camp.

During the afternoon practices he has been wearing a hard cast on his left wrist. Although Williams told reporters earlier this week that it was nothing to worry about, he is in pain.

“It’s quite painful for him right now,” said Mike Shanahan. “He’s got a cast on it. We immobilized it so he can’t hurt it any further. We want to make sure he stays in football shape.”

Williams was seen grimacing in pain on occasion as he went through the padded practice and he even had to take a break at one point.

Exactly what’s wrong? “It’s sprained,” said Shanahan. Then he reiterated, “It’s very, very sore.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:36 am

Also from Rich T.

The Redskins put out their media release for their first preseason game and in the mountain of information there is a chart that tells you when each current member of the team joined the Redskins and how they came into the league.

The chart reveals that we are one away from single digits when counting the number of players who were with the Redskins when Mike Shanahan became the head coach in January of 2010. Ten players on the on the 90-man roster predate the current staff.

The senior Redskins is now Santana Moss, who came in a 2005 trade with the Jets. Coming in the following year via the draft were Reed Doughty and Kedric Golston. London Fletcher came over as a free agent from Buffalo in 2007.

All of those players were brought in when Joe Gibbs was the head coach. In 2008, Vinny Cerrato drafted Fred Davis and Rob Jackson and brought in DeAngelo Hall and Will Montgomery as free agents. The following year Brian Orakpo was the team’s first pick in the draft and Darrel Young came in as a free agent linebacker. Young was converted to fullback.

The Gibbs-Cerrato-Jim Zorn survivors are now 10 of 90 on the roster but it looks like a good bet that they will be 10 of 53 when the season starts since all of them are good bets to make the final roster. Fletcher, Davis, Montgomery, Orakpo, Hall, and Young are starters and the others are key reserves.

(Note: Jackson will have to serve a four-game suspension before his season starts.)
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 am

Redskins put brakes on Meriweather's return

RICHMOND—Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather said his reduced workload in recent days is not the result of a setback. Instead, the coaches felt he was pushing his surgically repaired knee too hard, too soon.

“They just told me to slow down and not push it,” Meriweather said. “At first, they was giving me a couple of plays, and then I would sneak in for another one. I kept sneaking in, so Coach [Mike Shanahan] wanted me to slow down. He just said chill and do a little drill work on the side.”

Meriweather, who has been penciled in as the starting strong safety, spent much of Saturday’s practice on the drill field, doing agility drills with strength and conditioning coach Chad Englehart. With Meriweather sidelined, Reed Doughty, Phillip Thomas and DeJon Gomes have seen an increase in reps.

“Every once in a while, we’ll put him in a couple of reps,” Shanahan said of Meriweather, who had his ACL repaired in December. “You take a look at the film, see how he adjusts, and if we don’t think he’s ready to go then we’ll keep on working him through the drill work. Eventually, we’ll give him more reps as we feel he’s ready.”

Meriweather has tried to wear a brace, but couldn’t get comfortable with it.

“I can’t play with stuff that I feel like restricts me,” he said. “Everybody keeps telling me that it’s a mind thing, but it’s just something that’s hard for me to do.”

Redskins Training Camp Videos (8-3-2013)

Shanahan says Griffin had ‘a good week’

RICHMOND—Coach Mike Shanahan said Saturday he thinks that quarterback Robert Griffin III had “a good week” of practices at the Washington Redskins training camp while being limited to seven-on-seven passing drills and other scaled-back activities.

Shanahan declined to specify when Griffin might be permitted to participate in full team drills as part of his comeback from knee surgery in January. But Shanahan seemed to hint that might be unlikely to happen before the Redskins’ opening preseason game Thursday night at Tennessee.

“Our plan [for Griffin’s practice-field work] goes all the way through Tennessee,” Shanahan said. “Then we have another plan after the Tennessee game.”

Shanahan said later: “After the game, we’ve got a little bit different game plan. If there’s no setback, I’ll share that with you next week when we implement it. The reason why I don’t tell you at the beginning, if there is a setback, I’m not gonna tell you, anyhow.”

Shanahan previously has said he does not plan to play Griffin in any preseason games.

Redskins players have Sunday off, then return to work with practices Monday and Tuesday. Griffin said earlier this week he hoped to be allowed to take part in full team drills next week. Shanahan has limited Griffin to individual drills during the early stages of training camp.

“The only reason you don’t keep on going forward with the game plan that you have, because you have a game plan for the first game, if there’s swelling, there’s a setback, he doesn’t feel comfortable,” Shanahan said. “The key for us is not to push him too quick. You don’t know how he’s going to react to different drills. But right now there has been no swelling. He feels very good. And that’s one of the reasons why he hasn’t had a day off.”

Griffin’s number of snaps during seven-on-seven passing drills increased this week. He completed 13 of 17 passes during seven-on-seven drills Saturday before a fan appreciation day crowd estimated by the team at more than 25,000.

“I thought he had a good week,” Shanahan said. “The best part about it [was] there wasn’t any setback. As you have a plan going into your first week, you’re hoping you can execute that game plan. We were able to do that. Next week we have another game plan for him and we’ll see if he’s able to go through that.”

Griffin said earlier in the week that his knee was feeling good and he was pleased with the sharpness of his passing.

Shanahan said Saturday: “The first thing is you have to make sure his arm is in good shape. And his arm was in excellent shape coming in. He did a good job with his drill work, a good job with his preparation leading into camp so his arm had the strength you were looking for. And when you take a look at somebody’s knee or his ability to run, you really don’t know how that’s going to work out. For that knee not to swell up is a big sign. For him to be able to do seven-on-seven drills is a big sign for me for the first week. So you’re always hoping that there’s not a setback, like we talked about, there’s no swelling and you keep on doing the things he’s done.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:20 am

Shanahan said later: “After the game, we’ve got a little bit different game plan. If there’s no setback, I’ll share that with you next week when we implement it. The reason why I don’t tell you at the beginning, if there is a setback, I’m not gonna tell you, anyhow.

:shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 am

Redskins training camp observations - Sat., Aug. 2 By Rich Campbell - The Washington Times
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Deadskins wrote:Didn't you say something about pictures?

There ya go
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Are you Jennifer? Those are some nice pics! :up:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Deadskins wrote:Are you Jennifer? Those are some nice pics! :up:

Nope... not kenskin either, those are some nice pics. I'm trying to find the ones she took on Saturday
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 pm

Awesome pics, 1nik, thanks for sharing.

That field they are playing on is like a green carpet. =P~
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Wow, GREAT pix. Thanks for sharing!

Its not even the best photo in that bunch, but the one of RGIII running is awesome. :)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Awwww yeah.

RICHMOND – At long last, the Redskins had their complete starting defense on the field for the first time in training camp thanks to the healthy – at least for now – returns of cornerback DeAngelo Hall and strong safety Brandon Meriweather. It only took 10 practices for the Redskins to get that full unit on the field. They opened camp with Josh Wilson on the PUP list, and then Wilson returned, but Meriweather suffered a setback to his surgically-repaired right knee. Then, the next practice, Hall sprained his ankle. Meriweather missed six straight practices, and Hall five, but Monday gave a glimpse of what we could possibly see this season.

● Meriweather looked aggressive and appeared to move better than he has in the last week. As always, he brought the energy, jawing with offensive teammates and barking out calls to his teammates. At one point Meriweather heckled Donte Stallworth at the end of a catch-and-run, warning him that he and Hall could have lit the receiver up had it been a game. Later, Meriweather held up in his pursuit of Robert Griffin III, who scrambled a few yards before sliding to protect himself. Meriweather laughed and patted Griffin on the head, telling him he had done the right thing.

● Hall was a little feisty himself. He popped Roy Helu good on a seven-on-seven play. The running back catch a pass in the flat from Griffin and then turn upfield only to draw a good hit from Hall. Later, on a separate play, Hall got into a brief scuffle with tight end Logan Paulsen after Paulsen hit Hall hit a little harder than the cornerback believed he deserved to.

● Josh Wilson had two interceptions on the day. The first came on a pass intended for Leonard Hankerson, who got his hands on the ball, but couldn’t hold on. Wilson was trailing Hankerson on the comeback route, and the ball dropped into his hands. Hankerson tried to make the tackle, but London Fletcher ran up and leveled the receiver. Later, while facing the Kirk Cousins-led first-team offense as the unit tried to get into field goal range with less than a minute left on the clock, Wilson came up with another interception on second-and-3 from the 43-yard line.

● Rookie running back Chris Thompson (knee) was back in pads after missing five practices, letting some soreness and tightness subside. The Florida State product has a great burst of speed that nobody on the team seems to have, and you can see how he can help the team on pitches or passes out of the backfield. He turns the corner and accelerates quickly, making defenders miss. He’s generously listed as 5-foot-8, and gets swallowed up by defenders on some run plays, but if the Redskins can get him into space, he could do some damage. He just has to prove he can stay healthy.

● Redskins great John Riggins paid the team a visit, watching practice both in the morning and the afternoon sessions.

● Some of the wide receivers put on a show during an unguarded goal-line reception drill early in practice. Josh Morgan caught a slant pass and then rose up and authoritatively dunked the ball over the crossbar. The 6-foot-1 Morgan came down, flexed and then jogged back in line. Next up, the 6-foot-2 Dez Briscoe caught his pass and went with a windmill dunk. Not to be outdone, 5-foot-10 Nick Williams caught his pass and displayed his ups with a dunk as well. Leonard Hankerson ended the streak. The 6-foot-2 wideout caught his pass, then half-jogged, looking at the crossbar, but only half-heartedly tossed the ball up into the air in that direction.

● Phillip Thomas played with the second team for the first half of practice, but then took over for Meriweather in the second 11-on-11 stint of practice. On one stretch play, he took the perfect angle, met Thompson in the hole and delivered a big hit, drawing the praise of Raheem Morris. Next play, Thompson crept forward into the box, between the inside linebackers, but didn’t get sucked in further on the play-action fake-handoff, Thomas read the quarterback’s eyes and quickly moved over to his right where he would’ve met Santana Moss with a jarring hit had he not pulled up just as Moss dropped the pass.

● Robert Griffin III went 13-for-16 with an interception and one run during seven-on-seven drills. His interception came on a pass that zipped off Moss’ hands and straight into the air. Moss tried to snag the ball on the second effort, but ended up tipping it up again. This time backup inside linebacker Will Compton plucked it out of the air for the INT. Griffin looked as good as he has all of camp, planting and throwing with good velocity. He really seemed to drive the ball, stepping into his throws with explosion. One incompletion came when Griffin put the ball in a perfect spot for Hankerson to get on an out-route, and the receiver got both hands on the ball, but couldn’t make the catch. The other incompletion came when Griffin overthrew Aldrick Robinson. Griffin’s best throw was a 20-yard dart to Pierre Garcon on a seam route.

● Kai Forbath went 5-for-7 on field goal attempts, making kicks of 30, 36, 42, 44 and 47 yards. He had a miss from 58 yards out – the kick sailing wide right. Later, at the end of practice with his team working to get into field goal range with a minute left on the clock, Pat White got Washington in range for a 52-yard field goal with six seconds left and the clocking winding down. But only three seconds remained by the time the entire field goal unit made it onto the field, and the operation was rushed and Forbath came up short by about two yards. Afterwards, he was visibly frustrated as he discussed the snap, hold and placement with Nick Sundberg and Sav Rocca. His competitor, John Potter, went 3-for-4 with makes of 28, 42 and 47 yards, but missed wide left from 32 yards out.

● Guard Josh LeRibeus hyper-extended his right knee while caught in a scrum during a run play. He said afterwards that he expected to be fine. With LeRibeus out, second-year pro Tom Compton (usually second-team left tackle) slid in at left guard, and Xavier Nixon played left tackle.

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 am

Redskins get all 11 defensive starters on field for first time this summer

The Redskins started camp with cornerback Josh Wilson on the PUP list and then saw cornerback DeAngelo Hall and safety Brandon Meriweather sidelined by injuries, which meant they went more than a week of camp without having all 11 expected defensive starters on the field at the same time.

That run ended on Monday when Hall and Meriweather returned to practice. Meriweather, who has battled soreness in his surgically-repaired knee, did all the individual drills and half the team work in his return to the field while Hall said he wanted to get back to practice even though his sprained ankle hasn’t made it all the way back to 100 percent.

“They wanted me to kind of take another day and go through that movement, but I told them controlled movement — that’s the easy part,” Hall said, via Mike Jones of the Washington Post. “As long as I can — I know what I’m doing, it’s easy. When I have to go on somebody and go on instantaneous movements, that’s when it gets kind of tough and that’s what we were out there trying to test today. It felt OK. Am I anywhere near being 100 percent? No, not at all. But at least I know it ain’t gonna fall off. If I gotta go out there, I can go out there.”

Setbacks can still happen, something Meriweather knows well after experiencing a few of them in 2012, but getting the players back on the field now to see how they respond to work makes it likelier that the injuries can be managed well enough to ensure that both Hall and Meriweather are on the field for the first week of the regular season.

Shanahan sticking to plan, even if unpopular

Considering the criticism he took for his handling of star quarterback Robert Griffin III last year, there’s no surprise Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is digging in his heels on this one.

After Griffin said he was ready to do more than 7-on-7 drills and wanted to speed up his comeback from knee surgery, Shanahan said he was sticking to the plan as originally formulated.

“We do have a plan for him. He may not always like that plan, but that’s my job, sometimes not to be liked,” Shanahan said, via Mike Jones of the Washington Post. “My job is to do the best thing for him. And that’s what I’ll do. . . .

“You always want your guys to be ready to go, and you want them to be a little bit antsy. But your job is to get them ready. I don’t want to put him in too quick for the obvious reasons, but I like what I’ve seen. Like we talked about last week, he’s making a lot of progress and getting a lot of quality work done, and if he continues to do this, he’ll get a little more freedom, a little more reps, and hopefully be ready for the first game.”

Of course, not everyone seemed to like Shanahan’s plan last year during the playoffs, and it’s easy to draw a straight line from Shanahan’s willingness to let Griffin push it when he wasn’t well to the knee injury that necessitated such an aggressive rehab.

So if that means his quarterback grumbling about the slow pace, so be it.

“We have a plan next week, and we’ll give him a little more next week and we’ll see how he does,” Shanahan said. “We’re going to do this day-by-day and gave him a little bit more freedom with each week that goes by, and hopefully, if there is no setback, he’ll be ready for the first game.”

They’ve gradually bumped him from seven snaps a practice to 17, and as close as they are to the goal of getting Griffin back for the regular season, it’s hard to imagine Shanahan changing his mind now.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 am

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:23 am

Man I am really excited about Thomas and Rambo starting the preseason game tomorrow. It shouldn't be a stretch to imagine those safety positions being significantly better than they were last year if those guys can deliver at all.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am

Here's the WashPost Tuesday training camp observations btw:

The Redskins got in their last practice before Thursday’s preseason opener against the Tennessee Titans and on Wednesday will have a closed walk-through and then fly to Nashville.

After being forced into the Greater Richmond Convention Center for their morning walk-through, the team returned to the practice field for the afternoon practice.

With the team making preparations for Thursday’s game, Tuesday marked the least active day of training camp for Robert Griffin III, who only took snaps in individual drills. The team didn’t do any seven-on-seven, and no one-on-one drills. Griffin’s only work came during the special teams segments of practice, when he worked under the supervision of Kyle Shanahan, as he does every day, and threw passes to receiver Santana Moss and running back Chris Thompson.

● The Redskins practiced without Mike Shanahan in attendance because he had to attend the funeral of a close friend. The coach had the practice scripted out, and assistant head coach/running backs coach Bobby Thompson stood in his place. But Kyle Shanahan and Jim Haslett ran their units as they usually do.

● Backup fullback Eric Kettani (knee), guard Josh LeRibeus (knee) and tight end Jordan Reed (foot) didn’t practice. Receiver Devery Henderson missed a second straight day because of the death of a family member. Backup guard Tevita Stevens (ankle) returned to practice.

● Former tight end-turned sportstalk radio host Chris Cooley watched the practice from the sidelines.

● DeAngelo Hall (ankle) practiced for a second consecutive day, but Brandon Meriweather (knee) didn’t do any team drills. Neither are expected to play Thursday at Tennessee.

● Both Hall and Meriweather, as well as DeJon Gomes and Bacarri Rambo, got in work on the Jugs machine after practice. Hall had the most impressive hands of the bunch – catching a series of balls coming at him at 30 miles per hour with only his left hand. Hall did catch some with both hands, but winced in pain as he did so. He said he dislocated the ring finger on his right hand on Monday during that scuffle he had with tight end Logan Paulsen. Hall said he was trying to block a punch. He had the finger heavily wrapped, but said he would be okay. “Nothing personal, though,” he said of the scuffle. Of the three remaining defensive backs catching balls off the machine, Rambo looked second-best to Hall, with Meriweather ranking a close third. Gomes struggled.

● Rambo and fellow rookie Phillip Thomas are expected to start at free and strong safety, respectively, on Thursday, and on Tuesday, they received the bulk of the first-team snaps. Rambo broke up a deep pass from Kirk Cousins to Josh Morgan. Later he took a good angle on Fred Davis and would have separated him from the ball had it been a contact practice (most players wore only jerseys, some wore shells). On the next play, Rambo made a good break on the ball and should have intercepted it, but the ball slipped through his hands. One of the biggest things secondary coach Raheem Morris has seemed to stressing to Rambo and Thomas is the need for them to be vocal in the secondary as they communicate with their fellow defensive backs – calling out coverages and adjustments – and the linebackers. This remains a work in progress, but the kids are getting there.

● During a later portion in practice, the Redskins had a super young secondary on the field with Rambo, Thomas, David Amerson and Chase Minnifield (all first-year players) as the safeties and cornerbacks. E.J. Biggers (a fourth-year pro) served as nickelback.

● Amerson displayed his leaping ability, plucking a Rex Grossman pass out of the air before it could reach Santana Moss could even attempt to make a play on the ball. Morris chastised Amerson for not taking off for the end zone after he snagged the pass, however.

● Kirk Cousins said he isn’t sure exactly how much he will play Thursday, although Mike Shanahan had somewhere between 10 and 15 plays, but possibly a little more. Cousins hasn’t had the sharpest of camps, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does in the game. He hasn’t been the accurate on a consistent basis, and on Tuesday, he had two passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

● Left tackle Trent Williams still has his left wrist wrapped in a club cast for practices, but said he doesn’t know what the plan is for him for Thursday. If he doesn’t play, it’s not necessarily a bad thing. With Tom Compton and Xavier Nixon as Williams’ only backups, it would benefit both first-year players (Compton spent the bulk of last season on the practice squad, and Nixon is a rookie) to get as many snaps at that position as possible. You have to wonder if the Redskins have enough to get by at that position. Could they pick up a veteran left tackle when one gets cut after training camp as an insurance policy? That might not be a bad idea. But we’ll see over the next four weeks how much potential Compton and Nixon have to offer.

● One of the things I’m most curious to see Thursday is how the running backs do. It’s hard to get a feel for how well guys like rookies Chris Thompson and Jawan Jamison are doing, because there hasn’t been any live tackling in these camp practices. Defenders will lay a shoulder on them, or wrap up and then immediately let a back go. Whether they get wrapped up or not, the backs always run out a play. So, game action is where we’ll get a real feel for what they have to offer.

I hope Cousins picks it up. His stock is high coming off last year. Let's keep it up there!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football