Redskins’ kick-return battle is wide open entering preseason

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Redskins’ kick-return battle is wide open entering preseason

Postby 1niksder » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Redskins’ kick-return battle is wide open entering preseason opener

“We’ve got a lot of speed back there — a lot of guys that are faster than me and I’m not afraid to admit that,” Paul said Friday when asked about the preseason battle for the kick return spot.

With Banks gone and Keith Burns now at the helm as special teams coordinator after longtime coach Danny Smith departed for Pittsburgh, the competition for the position of kick returner is wide open.

What Paul lacks in speed, he can make up for with his résumé. After replacing Banks with five games left in the regular season, Paul averaged 24.9 yards per return, using the same power and toughness that once helped him run back a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown at Nebraska.

But the 6-foot-1, 233-pound Paul will be pushed by a handful of quicker candidates who also found success at the college and/or pro levels. Along with incumbent punt returner Richard Crawford, wide receivers Skye Dawson, Josh Morgan, Chip Reeves, Aldrick Robinson and Nick Williams, running backs Roy Helu, Evan Royster and Chris Thompson and cornerback Josh Wilson all fielded kicks at some point during last week’s training camp sessions.

Who wins the job :?:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Re: Redskins’ kick-return battle is wide open entering prese

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:36 pm

1niksder wrote:
“We’ve got a lot of speed back there — a lot of guys that are faster than me and I’m not afraid to admit that,” Paul said Friday when asked about the preseason battle for the kick return spot.

-snip-

But the 6-foot-1, 233-pound Paul will be pushed by a handful of quicker candidates who also found success at the college and/or pro levels. Along with incumbent punt returner Richard Crawford, wide receivers Skye Dawson, Josh Morgan, Chip Reeves, Aldrick Robinson and Nick Williams, running backs Roy Helu, Evan Royster and Chris Thompson and cornerback Josh Wilson all fielded kicks at some point during last week’s training camp sessions.

Who wins the job :?:

Paul until he fumbles. Then Robinson.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Can't find the link now, but seems like I read this AM that Skye Dawson was doing pretty well on the punt returns. Guess we'll see on Thursday?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:11 pm

I have done well returning kicks with Wilson on madden... But also Royster when they kicked away from Banks..
I kind of want to see Morgan, he has a toughness and hunger about him when the ball is in his hands.
Interested in this Skye guy... And what Robinson does if given a chance.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Does Thompson really run a 4.42 (!!!), and can he sustain speed for long runs? Anybody know if they've tried him at PR?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm pulling for Thompson or Robinson.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 am

The Hogster wrote:I'm pulling for Thompson or Robinson.

+1
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am

ABP! Anyone But Paul.

I'm sorry, but once they made the change to him last year you new the chance of a TD on a KO went from a realistic possibility to an extremely remote "Snow ball’s chance in hell" possibility.

I know his KO average was better than Banks' but that was based on one long return (that Banks would have housed) and on all of the rest he looked like he was running in concrete cleats. There is a reason no one else has a TE as their KO return man. I don’t want to here, “well he is a converted WR” because the key to that is the word “converted”! if he was fast enough to play WR he would still be playing WR!

Look I understand why Banks is gone, I can’t say I agree with it 100%, but I understand it, so please don’t let my post sideline this into a Banks love/hate fest!

Whomever they put back there to return kicks I just want them to have enough speed to make a house call if the play is blocked effectively and Paul just doesn’t have that speed.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

The day I went to camp Skye Dawson looked good at both receiver and kick returner. He has those break your ankles moves (ask DHALL) that look quick even on an NFL field.

The problem with him is his size. He wears #16 and looks a lot like Banks, although he is a lot quicker out of cuts than Banks is/was. He is also a WR and five spots are almost a lock at WR (Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Robbinson, and Hankerson). Shanny has always kept atleast six WR so Dawson would be competing for one possible spot with every other WR in camp.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:01 pm

True words right there.. I think we will see Robinson tomorrow
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I'm sorry, but once they made the change to him last year you new the chance of a TD on a KO went from a realistic possibility to an extremely remote "Snow ball’s chance in hell" possibility.

We didn't have a realistic chance of a TD with Banks back there. He lost his spark. Like you, I'm not trying to start a debate on it, but I think the coaches saw and realized this and that's why they switched to someone who was going to give a better average return. Paul has that quality that all consistent returners have (like Thrash or Rock) of decisively picking a hole and hitting it. Give me that every time over a dancer who is looking to hit a home run.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I'm sorry, but once they made the change to him last year you new the chance of a TD on a KO went from a realistic possibility to an extremely remote "Snow ball’s chance in hell" possibility.

We didn't have a realistic chance of a TD with Banks back there. He lost his spark. Like you, I'm not trying to start a debate on it, but I think the coaches saw and realized this and that's why they switched to someone who was going to give a better average return. Paul has that quality that all consistent returners have (like Thrash or Rock) of decisively picking a hole and hitting it. Give me that every time over a dancer who is looking to hit a home run.

Particularly in light of the fact that we now have a pretty potent offense. getting good at the expense of great field position (or a touchdown) is less vital now that Rex/Beck are not the quarterback.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:54 am

I think we may have two guys back there to handle kicks like Robinson and RB Chris Thompson.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football