Johnny Football letting the fame overtake him?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
||||||

Johnny Football letting the fame overtake him?

Postby EA7649 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 26693.html

He could be suspended for making money on signing autographs. Begging faze of investigation. Interesting.

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Stupid of him to knowingly break the rules.
Even dumber hypocrisy...everyone ELSE makes money off of him.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:32 pm

his parents got the money too. smh.
its a big debate on college players being paid, but if you think of it, under olympic rules they wouldn't be amateur anymore and not allowed to participate in school sports if they got paid. if colleges paid students, rich colleges would get the majority of the players.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 pm

EA7649 wrote:his parents got the money too. smh.
its a big debate on college players being paid, but if you think of it, under olympic rules they wouldn't be amateur anymore and not allowed to participate in school sports if they got paid. if colleges paid students, rich colleges would get the majority of the players.

Can always go back to the old days, and let the players work... Working two hours a day delivering Pizzas (in 30 mins or less), and getting $2500 tips, or parking cars at night where you only get three customers all night, drive the car ten yards and twice what the pizza delivery guy makes. We won't even talk about all those intern jobs.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm

1niksder wrote:

Can always go back to the old days, and let the players work... Working two hours a day delivering Pizzas (in 30 mins or less), and getting $2500 tips, or parking cars at night where you only get three customers all night, drive the car ten yards and twice what the pizza delivery guy makes. We won't even talk about all those intern jobs.
It would be harder for the public to find out about that. ESPN has on their home page he got $7,500 for autographs. If your gonna break the rules, might as well go big and get serious money. Those brokers are capable of giving way more than that for as much as he signed

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

I remember players being hired to guard practice facilities. They did great job. Not a single facility was stolen while players were guarding it.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm

EA7649 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

It would be harder for the public to find out about that. ESPN has on their home page he got $7,500 for autographs. If your gonna break the rules, might as well go big and get serious money. Those brokers are capable of giving way more than that for as much as he signed

That's 45 mins of work for the Pizza dude...

and no paper trail.

Rumor is the brokers recorded the making of the deal without J. Football's knowledge
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm

I think it is kinda ironic that Johnny is in the front cover of ESPN's magazine. And this happens after the final writings in the magazine was published, being out of date already.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:31 pm

After seeing his behavior in the second half yesterday against Rice, I'm beginning to think there's no way he DIDN'T take money. Whether that's right or wrong, or should be allowed or not, is another matter...but watching "me first" guys like this I can't help but wish for the good old days when trash talk was rare and players cared less about their own glory and more about their teams'. Those were happier, perhaps naive, but certainly more tranquil, innocent days IMHO.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:31 pm

duplicate. Apologies. Man I'm out of board shape...

Keep it together BRD. Like riding a bike -
Last edited by BigRedskinDaddy on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Postby yupchagee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:43 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:After seeing his behavior in the second half yesterday against Rice, I'm beginning to think there's no way he DIDN'T take money. Whether that's right or wrong, or should be allowed or not, is another matter...but watching "me first" guys like this I can't help but wish for the good old days when trash talk was rare and players cared less about their own glory and more about their teams'. Those were happier, perhaps naive, but certainly more tranquil, innocent days IMHO.

Happier for whom? Players ruined their health sometimes for very little money. Now, of course, they ruin their health for a LOT of money.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 am

yupchagee wrote:Happier for whom? Players ruined their health sometimes for very little money. Now, of course, they ruin their health for a LOT of money.

Why, happier for moi, of course. And I believe most fans who, like yourself, have watched the game for 3 or 4 decades at least probably prefer the simplicity of game in previous eras. I can't imagine many fans actually getting excited over a player on their team making a routine tackle and then showboating/grandstanding like they'd just won the SB in a last-second, miraculous fashion. Play after play after play. It gets old.

Or maybe it's just me. I truly don't know.

As for the money, no question there's much more to go around now - but in my experience it doesn't make all problems disappear. Then again, I've never had a lot of it at any one time in my whole working life, so in this too I might be way off base. While we're on the subject of money, I think the settlement a couple days ago should have happened years back, but it finally DID happen - so in that respect I agree that the far greater revenue of today's game has made a positive impact that couldn't have happened back in the day.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

cleg

Postby cleg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 am

He is a punk. That's OK because it really does not matter in the greater scheme of things. But he clearly presents himself as spoiled and entitled.

The thing that really bothers me more than anything is the double standards - Dez Bryant has dinner with an agent and has to deal with people questioning his character and if his mother was a whore. Terrell Pryor gets a free tattoo and basically has to leave college and get suspended in the NFL upon his arrival. But "Johnny Football" All-American Southern White Football Hero gets a 1/2 game suspension then laughs about it. It really reminds me of the blatant racism and double standards of the Jim Crow era.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 pm

This thing shouldnt be blown up to me made as a race issue.

The fact that the NCAA is crooked, slimy, hypocrites I could go on and on should not make you hate Manziel.
All Manziel did was do what typical twenty something young men do. For goodness sake people swear he murdered someone. So he signed a few autographs? Big freaking deal.

This just shines a light on the hypocrisy that is the NCAA. Sooner or later someone or group is going to take them down.

A few things to consider is that Manziels family had lawyers. Cam Newton was in a similar situation and Auburn lawyered up.

Why Dez Bryant and T. Pryor did not receive the same support?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Around the League