Training camp news

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:27 am

Here's the WashPost Tuesday training camp observations btw:

The Redskins got in their last practice before Thursday’s preseason opener against the Tennessee Titans and on Wednesday will have a closed walk-through and then fly to Nashville.

After being forced into the Greater Richmond Convention Center for their morning walk-through, the team returned to the practice field for the afternoon practice.

With the team making preparations for Thursday’s game, Tuesday marked the least active day of training camp for Robert Griffin III, who only took snaps in individual drills. The team didn’t do any seven-on-seven, and no one-on-one drills. Griffin’s only work came during the special teams segments of practice, when he worked under the supervision of Kyle Shanahan, as he does every day, and threw passes to receiver Santana Moss and running back Chris Thompson.

● The Redskins practiced without Mike Shanahan in attendance because he had to attend the funeral of a close friend. The coach had the practice scripted out, and assistant head coach/running backs coach Bobby Thompson stood in his place. But Kyle Shanahan and Jim Haslett ran their units as they usually do.

● Backup fullback Eric Kettani (knee), guard Josh LeRibeus (knee) and tight end Jordan Reed (foot) didn’t practice. Receiver Devery Henderson missed a second straight day because of the death of a family member. Backup guard Tevita Stevens (ankle) returned to practice.

● Former tight end-turned sportstalk radio host Chris Cooley watched the practice from the sidelines.

● DeAngelo Hall (ankle) practiced for a second consecutive day, but Brandon Meriweather (knee) didn’t do any team drills. Neither are expected to play Thursday at Tennessee.

● Both Hall and Meriweather, as well as DeJon Gomes and Bacarri Rambo, got in work on the Jugs machine after practice. Hall had the most impressive hands of the bunch – catching a series of balls coming at him at 30 miles per hour with only his left hand. Hall did catch some with both hands, but winced in pain as he did so. He said he dislocated the ring finger on his right hand on Monday during that scuffle he had with tight end Logan Paulsen. Hall said he was trying to block a punch. He had the finger heavily wrapped, but said he would be okay. “Nothing personal, though,” he said of the scuffle. Of the three remaining defensive backs catching balls off the machine, Rambo looked second-best to Hall, with Meriweather ranking a close third. Gomes struggled.

● Rambo and fellow rookie Phillip Thomas are expected to start at free and strong safety, respectively, on Thursday, and on Tuesday, they received the bulk of the first-team snaps. Rambo broke up a deep pass from Kirk Cousins to Josh Morgan. Later he took a good angle on Fred Davis and would have separated him from the ball had it been a contact practice (most players wore only jerseys, some wore shells). On the next play, Rambo made a good break on the ball and should have intercepted it, but the ball slipped through his hands. One of the biggest things secondary coach Raheem Morris has seemed to stressing to Rambo and Thomas is the need for them to be vocal in the secondary as they communicate with their fellow defensive backs – calling out coverages and adjustments – and the linebackers. This remains a work in progress, but the kids are getting there.

● During a later portion in practice, the Redskins had a super young secondary on the field with Rambo, Thomas, David Amerson and Chase Minnifield (all first-year players) as the safeties and cornerbacks. E.J. Biggers (a fourth-year pro) served as nickelback.

● Amerson displayed his leaping ability, plucking a Rex Grossman pass out of the air before it could reach Santana Moss could even attempt to make a play on the ball. Morris chastised Amerson for not taking off for the end zone after he snagged the pass, however.

● Kirk Cousins said he isn’t sure exactly how much he will play Thursday, although Mike Shanahan had somewhere between 10 and 15 plays, but possibly a little more. Cousins hasn’t had the sharpest of camps, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does in the game. He hasn’t been the accurate on a consistent basis, and on Tuesday, he had two passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

● Left tackle Trent Williams still has his left wrist wrapped in a club cast for practices, but said he doesn’t know what the plan is for him for Thursday. If he doesn’t play, it’s not necessarily a bad thing. With Tom Compton and Xavier Nixon as Williams’ only backups, it would benefit both first-year players (Compton spent the bulk of last season on the practice squad, and Nixon is a rookie) to get as many snaps at that position as possible. You have to wonder if the Redskins have enough to get by at that position. Could they pick up a veteran left tackle when one gets cut after training camp as an insurance policy? That might not be a bad idea. But we’ll see over the next four weeks how much potential Compton and Nixon have to offer.

● One of the things I’m most curious to see Thursday is how the running backs do. It’s hard to get a feel for how well guys like rookies Chris Thompson and Jawan Jamison are doing, because there hasn’t been any live tackling in these camp practices. Defenders will lay a shoulder on them, or wrap up and then immediately let a back go. Whether they get wrapped up or not, the backs always run out a play. So, game action is where we’ll get a real feel for what they have to offer.

I hope Cousins picks it up. His stock is high coming off last year. Let's keep it up there!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:06 am

● Robert Griffin III took all 12 of the first-team snaps in 11-on-11 action, completing six of eight passes and handing the ball off another four times. He connected with Pierre Garcon on a 15-yard pass over the middle, and went on to complete two passes to Santana Moss, and one each to Leonard Hankerson, Jordan Reed and Logan Paulsen.

Griffin took another five snaps in six-on-eight drills with completions to Davis, Reed and Aldrick Robinson.

Griffin for the first time this week ran an 11-on-11 two-minute drill at the end of practice. It wasn’t exactly full-speed. Brisk walk-through is a better way to describe the pace.

● Griffin took his first designed run play of 11-on-11 action. Lined up in the pistol formation, Griffin faked a zone-read handoff to Alfred Morris and then took off around the right end. He made two defenders miss on the edge and then took an exaggerated flop onto the ground and then laid on his back to show that he knows how to protect himself.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:39 pm

He made two defenders miss on the edge and then took an exaggerated flop onto the ground and then laid on his back to show that he knows how to protect himself.

I don't really care for how he's making light of his sliding at the end of runs. He obviously needs to work on that portion of his game, and practice is the right place to do it. This is the second time I've read reports about him exaggerating his slide, and it makes me wonder if he really has learned how and when to do it. smh
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Deadskins wrote:
He made two defenders miss on the edge and then took an exaggerated flop onto the ground and then laid on his back to show that he knows how to protect himself.

I don't really care for how he's making light of his sliding at the end of runs. He obviously needs to work on that portion of his game, and practice is the right place to do it. This is the second time I've read reports about him exaggerating his slide, and it makes me wonder if he really has learned how and when to do it. smh

Yo tambien. I said from day one his biggest task will be to learn when to be daring. Almost feel like he's tempting fate. Knocking on wood.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 am

I for one don't want the guy to give up like a bia and NOT take a 70 yard scamper like the one vs the vikings if its there for the taking. Not ENGAGING and getting out of bounds is key.... BUT he did just that when he hurt his knee vs SEA (the first time). Isht happens and fear doesn't belong in his DNA. Thiesman never ran the read option... And look how well staying the pocket worked out!
I'm not advocating he surpass his rushing stats from last year, but the kid is a dual threat qb and thats what bulsters each facet of his game. The run helps the pass the pass helps the run, basic football right? I wouldn't even ask him to.second guess his instinct to tuck it and run, just be more aware of the potential dangers and do everything to protect himself.
He isn't a Rb who will be trying to put up AP numbers on his new knee... He knows his role. I think his pocket passing will grow, and be displayed more, but I also think his rushes will be improved, and be more conservative at the same time.
Time will tell, god I can't wait!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:18 am

Deadskins wrote:

So a cop pulls a teenager over for driving recklessly. He gets his ticket, and when he drives off he's driving 20 in a 55.

Just the thought of that makes me want to stop the kid again and nail him with another ticket; he obviously doesn't understand the seriousness of his actions and what could very possibly happen in the future.

I don't want to go so far as to completely attribute this to RG3's behavior, but this at least needs to be confronted; week 1 isn't that far away. Every chance he gets to practice his slides and getting down/out of bounds need to be utilized.

Pat White should start having fake seizures, and uncontrolled slobbering talking about "man RG, if only I slid during that Dolphins' game."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football