Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 am

The franchise couldn't care less about Cousins' interests unless they happen to coincide with their own. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4575
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 am

SkinsJock wrote:The FO (not Cousins) will decide what to do and I'm fairly sure that 'decision' will be in Cousins best interest also ... and that ain't happening soon

that's just my opinion :lol:


The decisions each party makes will affect the decisions of the other party.

The decisions other teams make will have their effects as well.

In his next to last year we will begin soliciting/entertaining offers (if not sooner). If the offers are strong, he will be traded. If they are not, it could get interesting. There are scenarios where we could make him a contract offer. Him accepting could keep him here or even make him more trade-able. Him not accepting makes him a free agent and once other teams know that, his trade value could begin to slip.

It's fluid and both parties have a huge say in what happens.

Cousins is not the same piece of meat players from the '50s were.

That's a fact.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13684
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 am

DarthMonk wrote:The decisions each party makes will affect the decisions of the other party. The decisions other teams make will have their effects as well.

In his next to last year we will begin soliciting/entertaining offers (if not sooner). If the offers are strong, he will be traded. If they are not, it could get interesting. There are scenarios where we could make him a contract offer. Him accepting could keep him here or even make him more trade-able. Him not accepting makes him a free agent and once other teams know that, his trade value could begin to slip.

It's fluid and both parties have a huge say in what happens.

Cousins is not the same piece of meat players from the '50s were.

That's a fact.


:shock: wow - thanks for clearing that up for us

:lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 am

Yea I'm gonna need everyone to stop the madness about trading Cousins ok? Honestly, it's just dumb.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1417
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 am

We need someone who could come in and take the reigns as if nothing has changed. Besides the speed, who else (besides Cousins) could we realistically get that would be better? The trade talk is nonsense.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:23 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:We need someone who could come in and take the reigns as if nothing has changed. Besides the speed, who else (besides Cousins) could we realistically get that would be better? The trade talk is nonsense.


Stop making sense dude, what the heck is your problem? :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4575
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:58 am

SkinsJock wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:The decisions each party makes will affect the decisions of the other party. The decisions other teams make will have their effects as well.

In his next to last year we will begin soliciting/entertaining offers (if not sooner). If the offers are strong, he will be traded. If they are not, it could get interesting. There are scenarios where we could make him a contract offer. Him accepting could keep him here or even make him more trade-able. Him not accepting makes him a free agent and once other teams know that, his trade value could begin to slip.

It's fluid and both parties have a huge say in what happens.

Cousins is not the same piece of meat players from the '50s were.

That's a fact.


:shock: wow - thanks for clearing that up for us

:lol:


You're welcome. Someone had to do it and I didn't see it coming from your keyboard.

SkinsJock wrote:The FO (not Cousins) will decide what to do


:whistle:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13684
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: RG3 support team

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:11 pm

:lol: we shall see how this plays out :lol:

I'm looking for the FO to make the right decision regarding Cousins - but we'll see .... :roll:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote::lol: we shall see how this plays out :lol:

I'm looking for the FO to make the right decision regarding Cousins - but we'll see .... :roll:


The "FO" has been clear. They aren't shopping him. It would be stupid to do that right now. And no one's offering us enough to make them interested at this point.

It's win win for other teams too. He was a fourth round pick for a reason, and he's got a so-so arm. Why overpay now then spend the next couple years of their own time developing him when we're already doing it? And then they can assess better if he's worth it or not.

The whole thing currently is a figment in the minds of some of the sillier people who post on places like Redskin message boards. There is no reason to trade him, there is no reason to pay us what it would take.
Last edited by KazooSkinsFan on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Skins History Buff
Online
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:You don't trade Cousins

You listen politely to offers before turning down anything less than a first rounder and hope for a bidding war. Lots of teams need a QB and this year seems to have a limited amount of starting quality QBs.

Doesn't mean there aren't any potential back-up QBs in there


+1.

Cousins ought to get plenty of playing time in pre-season, and mop up work in the regular season. Cousins can fill in for Griffin without the offense shattering. That's a quality 2nd string QB. Players get hurt. No reason to expect that Griffin goes through the aseason without some aches.

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:36 am
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida

Postby num1skinsfan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 am

Keep Cousins until RGIII has tested knee, 16 game plus playoffs is a long run. Need quality backups in all positions.
"The harder I work the luckier I get"....
- Jack Kent Cook 1983

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:33 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote::lol: we shall see how this plays out :lol:

I'm looking for the FO to make the right decision regarding Cousins - but we'll see .... :roll:


The "FO" has been clear. They aren't shopping him. It would be stupid to do that right now. And no one's offering us enough to make them interested at this point.

It's win win for other teams too. He was a fourth round pick for a reason, and he's got a so-so arm. Why overpay now then spend the next couple years of their own time developing him when we're already doing it? And then they can assess better if he's worth it or not.

The whole thing currently is a figment in the minds of some of the sillier people who post on places like Redskin message boards. There is no reason to trade him, there is no reason to pay us what it would take.


My very quiet thought (hope?) is that while showing extreme competency in a backup role, there is not enough shown to exhibit true starter quality (Yes, I think he's better than that, too. Now shut up.) in Cousins. Then no team offers enough to warrant a trade (remembering the Matt Flynn seattle debacle and instead opt for bumper rookie QB crops that year and the next) and his agent gets scared, he resigns with the skins for a pretty good back up paycheck extending his rookie deal and he sticks around as our back up for an extra 2-4 years. I love Kirk, like a lot, but after that, I don't care if he walks, we get a trade for him or anything in between. We've already won with his pick today, let alone if that scenario plays out.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:59 am

emoses14 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote::lol: we shall see how this plays out :lol:

I'm looking for the FO to make the right decision regarding Cousins - but we'll see .... :roll:


The "FO" has been clear. They aren't shopping him. It would be stupid to do that right now. And no one's offering us enough to make them interested at this point.

It's win win for other teams too. He was a fourth round pick for a reason, and he's got a so-so arm. Why overpay now then spend the next couple years of their own time developing him when we're already doing it? And then they can assess better if he's worth it or not.

The whole thing currently is a figment in the minds of some of the sillier people who post on places like Redskin message boards. There is no reason to trade him, there is no reason to pay us what it would take.


My very quiet thought (hope?) is that while showing extreme competency in a backup role, there is not enough shown to exhibit true starter quality (Yes, I think he's better than that, too. Now shut up.) in Cousins. Then no team offers enough to warrant a trade (remembering the Matt Flynn seattle debacle and instead opt for bumper rookie QB crops that year and the next) and his agent gets scared, he resigns with the skins for a pretty good back up paycheck extending his rookie deal and he sticks around as our back up for an extra 2-4 years. I love Kirk, like a lot, but after that, I don't care if he walks, we get a trade for him or anything in between. We've already won with his pick today, let alone if that scenario plays out.


You could be right, but I think before he'd do that he'd want to play out his rookie contract and see if he could get a starting gig.

My prediction is we hold on to him for two more years, then when there's one year left on his rookie deal we trade him for a second rounder. More than we paid, but to your point not exactly a Matt Flynn deal.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Deadskins wrote:The franchise couldn't care less about Cousins' interests unless they happen to coincide with their own. :roll:


+1

newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 am

Postby RedskininSlidell » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 am

I think they will test the waters after this year if RG3 stays healthy. I think somewhere around an 2nd and 3rd would get the job done. Then the front office would draft a backup qb that can run the read offense better than Cousins.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football