Time to Cut Rex Grossman and Keep Pat White

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 pm

As much as I can't stand watching Grossman play in a Skins uniform, I still think he makes the team as #3, no matter how well Pat White performs. Griffin and Cousins have both said how much he helps out with his veteran presence. And I think there's some strange love affair going on between him and Kyle, so there's that too to consider.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm

A lot of Rex's value to us, perhaps more than half, is him NOT being a Cowboy, Giant, or Eagle.

White could very well make it to the practice squad and then run scout team against our D before we play the Eagles, 49ers, etc.

I think Rex will retire and join us as a coach before he leaves an offense coordinated by Kyle.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:As much as I can't stand watching Grossman play in a Skins uniform, I still think he makes the team as #3, no matter how well Pat White performs. Griffin and Cousins have both said how much he helps out with his veteran presence. And I think there's some strange love affair going on between him and Kyle, so there's that too to consider.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I could care less if Grossman is on this team. But like you mentioned I think RG3, Cousins and Kyle seem to like him.
I have never seen the value of a bad player? But that's just me as a fan.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:09 am

We're in a very fortunate position, thanks to the drafting of Capt Kirk that most baulked at at the time (including me!) we now have two excellent QBs while more than half the league don't have one.

Pat White, because of his legs and because of what RG3 and Kapernick did last year in the league, will get a spot on another teams roster for sure, especially if he has another couple of drives like the last one against the Titans.

If we can keep him for the PS I'd consider it a bonus as he'd be useful in developing young defensive players deal with the mobile QBs that will become more prominent in the NFL in coming years.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 am

It's a very enviable situation to have two great young QBs. Especially if Griffin goes down again, we got the Kirkster to lead our team!

piggie

Postby num1skinsfan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:07 am

Grossman has been a consummate pro backing up Cousins. But his contract makes him a liability, and we need cap space. Cutting Grossman and keeping Pat White has a great upside, and a little cash to sign someone else. The reality is, we are talking about a Third String QB, that can run the offense in a similar way RGIII does. Grossman is a pocket passer, we know what we get. White is a better fit, and will only get better.
"The harder I work the luckier I get"....
- Jack Kent Cook 1983

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:04 am

num1skinsfan wrote:Grossman has been a consummate pro backing up Cousins. But his contract makes him a liability, and we need cap space. Cutting Grossman and keeping Pat White has a great upside, and a little cash to sign someone else.

Emphasis on "little." Two questions: (1) What's Grossman's cap hit for the year? (2) What's White's cap hit for the year? When you find the answers to those questions, you'll see how weak this point is.

The reality is, we are talking about a Third String QB, that can run the offense in a similar way RGIII does. Grossman is a pocket passer, we know what we get. White is a better fit, and will only get better.

Grossman is a better fit because he knows the offense and can help coach RGIII and Cousins. And if he has to play in a pinch, he's not going to struggle with the nerves and uncertainty of playing in the NFL for essentially the first time. The most important quality in a backup QB is the ability to come in and manage a game under pressure.

Pat White has a track record of awful play in the NFL and in training camp practices. A few good series at the end of a preseason game aren't meaningless, but it's going to take a lot more than that to show that there is good reason to keep him on the team. Grossman has already demonstrated his value; even though people on this board love to hate him, he is a valuable part of this team as a 3rd string QB.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 am

num1skinsfan wrote:Grossman has been a consummate pro backing up Cousins. But his contract makes him a liability, and we need cap space.

Cutting Grossman and keeping White would save a Whopping $95K :shock:

IMO... His contract wouldn't be part of the conversation if they were deciding between the two.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:56 pm

After watching the Oakland vs cowturd game, and their back up qb Pryor. We actually might beable to get something for white if he plays half way decent through out preseason. Imho he looked MUCH better then Pryor across the board. He ran after plays broke down and was smart about it, and hit his receivers a lot better then Pryor. He also didn't throw an int in the endzone like Pryor.
The comparrison is fair because both are back ups and both are "mobile qbs". Pryor is more of a run first qb, but not even that great of a runner.. the funny thing OakTown nation is lobbying for him to be the starter, and have been for the past couple years. Pat white > Irving? Pryor
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby redskingush » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 pm

With Pat White I think it brings the read option into play as well if he get in there for what ever reason. If the 3rd stringer gets in the gane, we may need all the looks we can get!!!
GO SKINS GO!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 am

How much market value can a 3rd/4th string QB really have, though? It's not like we can afford to say "no thanks, we'll just hold on to him until the offer is right." Other teams know how valuable that roster spot is, and can just wait until he is cut. The only value is in not having him hit the waiver wire/open market.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:30 am

Deadskins wrote:How much market value can a 3rd/4th string QB really have, though? It's not like we can afford to say "no thanks, we'll just hold on to him until the offer is right." Other teams know how valuable that roster spot is, and can just wait until he is cut. The only value is in not having him hit the waiver wire/open market.

What he said.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:32 am

Grossman knowing the offense, and mentoring RGIII and Cousins is more than enough to keep him over White. Even if White put up a Doug Williams Superbowl performance in one of the preseason games, I still don't see them cutting Grossman. White was/is insurance just in case Griffin can't go week 1, IMO.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 am

Rex adds value in that he knows the coaching staff and is a very good on-field player-coach for RGIII and KC. In addition, the 3rd QB should NEVER see the playing field come September --- after all, MS doesn't even suit one up on game days.

That said, if the crazy were to happen and RGIII AND KC go down at the same time, PW would more easily integrate into the system since his playing style is closer to RGIIIs.

Honestly, I don't see PW getting picked up off waivers unless he lights it up this preseason (and his #s weren't so insanely good to lift eyebrows). Therefore, I would keep Rex in a position similar to last year as a non-suited player and 3rd string QB and if the crazy happens, I would sign PW since he most likely would be available mid-season. And his potential for not being available is a risk I would be willing to take.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Grossman knowing the offense, and mentoring RGIII and Cousins is more than enough to keep him over White. Even if White put up a Doug Williams Superbowl performance in one of the preseason games, I still don't see them cutting Grossman. White was/is insurance just in case Griffin can't go week 1, IMO.

Yes. In fact, Rex not becoming a Cowboy, Giant, or Eagle is more than enough ...

Of course, I'm repeating myself.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football