Robert Griffin III wrong to reveal rift with Shanahan

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Robert Griffin III wrong to reveal rift with Shanahan

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:57 am

Redskins QB Robert Griffin III wrong to reveal rift with Shanahan

:hmm: ;furious; :hmm:

I read and re-read this, I replayed the presser although I listened to it live and still....

I can't find the rift between Mike and Bob.

:feedback;

First, RG3 explained how he and Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan aren’t remotely on the same page with regard to his rehab schedule. And RG3 volunteered that info.

Strange and, frankly, a rookie mistake.

A transcript of the reigning NFL rookie-of-the-year’s Monday news conference reads as though he was trying to underscore his own heroism in trying to come back sooner than those darn over-concerned coaches will let him.

There’s PR value in that. There’s none, however, when an NFL quarterback reveals he and his head coach are at loggerheads. When does that ever end well?

I never heard him say they were anything but on the same page...
He's said he knows the plan, and expects to play week one IF he does everything that they ask of him and he has no set back. That's pretty much the same thing Shanny has been saying.

Asked if he will try to convince Shanahan to let him play in the pre-season -- specifically, a week from Saturday against the visiting Buffalo Bills -- Griffin said:

“You know me too well. I’m going to, definitely. I want to play, let’s get that straight. I want to play in the pre-season. Coach is just saying that if things go great these next couple of days and next week, then maybe, but it’s a hard no right now.

“It’s my job to make that a soft no and possibly a yes. But I’m definitely going to push for it.
I feel ready to go. We’ll see what happens. I’ll definitely push for that third game, but who knows what happens.”

:roll: OK I thought we had the making of a rift here but then RGIII stated that his chance of playing in week three of the preseason are nil at this time, and it's up to him to get the coach to change his mind.

The only thing anyone has to point to as far as the two of them not being on the same page is RGIII said he would start 11 on 11 drills today and now the four letter network is reporting that he won't start those drills until Wednesday. So this could be the root of the rift, if there really was one. There was no rift, but there was enough bad weather to force Shanny to cancel practice on Saturday, which pretty much pushes everything back one day. The FLN could have reported that but then they wouldn't have had a story, and we all know that a non-story is better than no story. :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:19 am

<BLUF> Robert needs to learn that the DC media isn't his friend. They may laugh at his jokes and fawn over him, but they have a job to do and it's to sell papers and get hits. And nothing gets hits and sells papers in DC like controversy.

There isn't a rift, yet... And if a rift is to form, it'll be because of Robert.

The media is Roberts weakest link. IMO, he's not used to this level of attention. It wasn't until his waning moments at Baylor that anyone (myself included) gave a da*n about him.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:23 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:The media is Roberts weakest link. IMO, he's not used to this level of attention. It wasn't until his waning moments at Baylor that anyone (myself included) gave a da*n about him.

:!: :!: :!:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 am

Griffin needs to be quiet. He says too much leaving the door open for too much speculation. And CLL has it right in that the media is not his friend. They love when he speaks his mind, but that could end up costing him in the long run with his coaches and teammates.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:24 am

Griffin needs to keep right on talking. He's said nothing to make me think there is a rift, a problem, a not seeing of eye to eye. In fact everything he's said tells me precisely what I want to hear. "I want to get on the field last week. Coach has a plan, that he revealed to me and we agreed on from the beginning. Even though I think it should be adjustable, I understand that it is for my own and the team's well being that we stick to it. Though I don't like it, I'm committed to it." (paraphrasing)

I've seen nil, zero, zilch, zip suggesting an actual rift (as opposed to the media concocted one) with a coach or teammate. Agreed that the media will twist for its own device, but so long as we're the only ones with twisted panties because of it, who gives a ;furious;

By the way, this article came out of the Calgary Sun. As in, Calgary, Alberta CANADA. So :roll:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:55 am

emoses14 wrote:Griffin needs to keep right on talking. He's said nothing to make me think there is a rift, a problem, a not seeing of eye to eye. In fact everything he's said tells me precisely what I want to hear. "I want to get on the field last week. Coach has a plan, that he revealed to me and we agreed on from the beginning. Even though I think it should be adjustable, I understand that it is for my own and the team's well being that we stick to it. Though I don't like it, I'm committed to it." (paraphrasing)

I've seen nil, zero, zilch, zip suggesting an actual rift (as opposed to the media concocted one) with a coach or teammate. Agreed that the media will twist for its own device, but so long as we're the only ones with twisted panties because of it, who gives a ;furious;

By the way, this article came out of the Calgary Sun. As in, Calgary, Alberta CANADA. So :roll:

This site is owned by someone who is, well, Canadian.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 am

Cappster wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Griffin needs to keep right on talking. He's said nothing to make me think there is a rift, a problem, a not seeing of eye to eye. In fact everything he's said tells me precisely what I want to hear. "I want to get on the field last week. Coach has a plan, that he revealed to me and we agreed on from the beginning. Even though I think it should be adjustable, I understand that it is for my own and the team's well being that we stick to it. Though I don't like it, I'm committed to it." (paraphrasing)

This site is owned by someone who is, well, Canadian.

Fair enough. :oops:

But I doubt that the writer of that article has spent 1/1,000,000th of the time thinking about/dealing with/writing about the redskins as him, so for that writer to try and psychologize the relationship b/w Bob and Mike is, uhm, bunk.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 am

emoses14 wrote:But I doubt that the writer of that article has spent 1/1,000,000th of the time thinking about/dealing with/writing about the redskins as him, so for that writer to try and psychologize the relationship b/w Bob and Mike is, uhm, bunk.

I guess you dont listen to DC sports talk radio, it's all they were talking about yesterday.

If this was any other player on the team, you'd want them to shut up and listen to Mike. RGIII isn't above that... He needs to shutup.

He showed up and he showed Mike that he can't be trusted to insure his own well-being. That was evident when he folded up like a lawn chair against SEA. Robert can shut up and deal with it now, he'll play when he's told he can play.

And I like the mind game that Mike is playing with Robert right now. Cousins is balling out right now, he's leading the offense. He's showing Robert that he's replaceable, he doesn't make or break this team. That we can move on without him. That's true of every player in the NFL, be it Riggins or Ray Lewis. He's making Robert value his position more by witholding it from him.

We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:But I doubt that the writer of that article has spent 1/1,000,000th of the time thinking about/dealing with/writing about the redskins as him, so for that writer to try and psychologize the relationship b/w Bob and Mike is, uhm, bunk.

I guess you dont listen to DC sports talk radio, it's all they were talking about yesterday.

If this was any other player on the team, you'd want them to shut up and listen to Mike. RGIII isn't above that... He needs to shutup.

He showed up and he showed Mike that he can't be trusted to insure his own well-being. That was evident when he folded up like a lawn chair against SEA. Robert can shut up and deal with it now, he'll play when he's told he can play.

And I like the mind game that Mike is playing with Robert right now. Cousins is balling out right now, he's leading the offense. He's showing Robert that he's replaceable, he doesn't make or break this team. That we can move on without him. That's true of every player in the NFL, be it Riggins or Ray Lewis. He's making Robert value his position more by witholding it from him.

We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

I do not. That is true.

As for your "if any other player" point. Yes, in so far as if it were literally any other player. No, in so far as if it were another face of the franchise type player and the topic was the same. Even for Bob, if the topic were different I might feel differently. But the topic is his wanting to get back on the field NOW, vs. Mike's measured approach (and I like your point on Mike's valuing the job game, too). On THAT topic, I wouldn't want a player to just shut up. Its his damn body, career, livelihood, etc.

Holding his mistake against him last year and opining that he should shut up doesn't really work either. A. Then so should Mike about him. B. That sort of implies that the man can't learn from past mistakes. We just want him to mature silently and stay in his lane. Well that clearly isn't how this man is hard wired, not sure I'd want that messed with.

I also just don't get the wearisome response to his current comments simply because he talked about the injury last year and it turned out bad. I have the benefit of not being inundated with DC sports talk radio, so I'm maybe not as just sick of it day in and day out. But his actual words this time are just not reflective of the same attitude. They've already matured, to me. Now he says I want to play and practice, but I understand there's a plan. How is that not growth?

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

I am not at all convinced there is a big 'rift' between Mike & RG3 ...

I'm sure RG3 is looking forward to playing again ...

I'm also sure that Mike will do everything he can to ensure that RG3 is both not rushed back into 'testing' the knee and also is able to handle the offense when he does start playing again ...

I think that this 'rift' is a little out of proportion to what is really going on - My 2 cents
Jay Gruden "eventually we will turn it around" I have faith in Gruden and I still think he can get things straightened out - we have a lot of work to do and it will be interesting to see how many players are willing to tough it out

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 am

emoses14 wrote:As for your "if any other player" point. Yes, in so far as if it were literally any other player. No, in so far as if it were another face of the franchise type player and the topic was the same. Even for Bob, if the topic were different I might feel differently. But the topic is his wanting to get back on the field NOW, vs. Mike's measured approach (and I like your point on Mike's valuing the job game, too). On THAT topic, I wouldn't want a player to just shut up. Its his damn body, career, livelihood, etc.

But he's not JUST saying that he wants to get back on the field. He's basically venting his frustrations to the media and that's the worst thing he can do, especially here. And if it wasn't a big deal, why would RGIII feel compelled to address the mess he created via twitter later that day?

emoses14 wrote:Holding his mistake against him last year and opining that he should shut up doesn't really work either. A. Then so should Mike about him. B. That sort of implies that the man can't learn from past mistakes. We just want him to mature silently and stay in his lane. Well that clearly isn't how this man is hard wired, not sure I'd want that messed with.

Thus far, Robert has shown that he hasn't learned. I think his actions last year show us that much. Even after he tweaked his leg in the SEA game, he was STILL fighting for an extra yard or two at meaningless points in the game. I said this in jest, during the preseason game but Pat White is a better runner than RGIII LMAO. Dude got what the defense would give him, not an inch more. He went back in the huddle and let his playmakers get that extra two inches for him. Hopefully RGIII does that this year.

emoses14 wrote:I also just don't get the wearisome response to his current comments simply because he talked about the injury last year and it turned out bad. I have the benefit of not being inundated with DC sports talk radio, so I'm maybe not as just sick of it day in and day out. But his actual words this time are just not reflective of the same attitude. They've already matured, to me. Now he says I want to play and practice, but I understand there's a plan. How is that not growth?

Robert says things that make you question how he really feels. In the interview we're referring to, he says that he can't "BS" a specific answer. Which insinuates that he BS's other answers. So, a lot of the reporters here really start reading in-between the lines and it's just out of control.

I'm glad he wants to play. Elite players have an elite mindset. I get that. But he has to do it in a way that doesn't undermine his coach. Robert basically acted like Mike should have pulled him from the SEA game, his father kinda insinuated the same thing. NOW, Mike is being protective of the kid and he's out in the media saying he doesn't like that. He can't have it both ways, which one does he want?

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 am

SkinsJock wrote:I am not at all convinced there is a big 'rift' between Mike & RG3 ...

I'm sure RG3 is looking forward to playing again ...

I'm also sure that Mike will do everything he can to ensure that RG3 is both not rushed back into 'testing' the knee and also is able to handle the offense when he does start playing again ...

I think that this 'rift' is a little out of proportion to what is really going on - My 2 cents

What was your term for the media again? It was something like Mediots. . . it was awesome and I can not remember, but wanted to use it earlier.

Also, I am looking forward to this GQ article: Link

RG3 talks McNabb, being a teetotaler, and gay players in NFL

Before there was Robert Griffin III there was Donovan McNabb. And it's reasonable to think that a young RG3 may have even patterned his game after McNabb's at one time. But McNabb is now retired and earns a living as an NFL analyst. Which means he gets paid to make observations that some might characterizes as inflammatory, unfair and ultimately, misguided.
In June, McNabb offered these thoughts on Griffin:

“I get some of things he's doing to draw attention to himself: The Adidas commercials, going out and enjoying the life of a young, famous NFL quarterback," he told the Washington Post. "I understand RG has a lot of stuff going on. But if you're coming off ACL surgery, you don't need to be having a press conference at OTAs. Every week? Really? It becomes a circus, a sideshow. It takes away from the focus of what those sessions are supposed to be about: the team.”

In a wide-ranging interview with GQ, RG3 was asked about McNabb's remarks.

"I don't think Donovan is an idiot by any means," Griffin told GQ's Brendan Vaughn. "But right now, it's probably best we don't talk."

So here's what we've learned: RG3 isn't so busy that he doesn't have time to point out that one of his dectractors isn't an idiot.

Other, more interesting nuggets from the GQ sitdown:

RG3's dad would like to see his son pass more, run less (via the Washington Post): “I will not tell Coach Shanahan how to do any part of his job because he's been doing this for a long time.

"You tell a kid that you want him to be there for fourteen years, guess what? Historical data will tell you that the more he runs, the more subject he is to career injury. You name one quarterback out there that would rather run the football than throw the football and I'll show you a loser.”

RG3 on being a teetotaler: "Never had a drop. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I've never done any drugs. I need my body to be at its peak performance, and I want to have a long career, and alcohol can inhibit that sometimes. And I don't need to get in trouble because I went out and got drunk one night and I don't know how to be drunk."

On the possibility of a gay player coming out: "I think there are [gay players] right now, and if they're looking for a window to just come out, I mean, now is the window. My view on it is, yes, I am a Christian, but to each his own. You do what you want to do. If some Christians want to look at being gay as a sin, then thinking about other women, committing adultery—or any of those other sins that are in the Bible—those are sins, too. And God looks at all of us the same way."

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:57 am

I'm looking forward to that article as well ...

we are very lucky to have such a great talent playing QB for the Redskins but this kid is also a special type of person as well

there is an expression 'the tall poppy syndrome' - this basically means that there are always going to be people that will try to 'bring down' those that rise above ...
Jay Gruden "eventually we will turn it around" I have faith in Gruden and I still think he can get things straightened out - we have a lot of work to do and it will be interesting to see how many players are willing to tough it out

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:12 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

As you say, it's the DC media. I haven't heard anything directly from either of them that concerns me.

Griffin wanted to play in Seattle when he was injured and told everyone that. Then there was the implication other people had made mistakes, and they knew what they were. Now he wants to play again in the pre-season. Mike is just showing a kid in his early twenties there are consequences to what you say. You can't screw with your boss and pay no price at all. But Shannahan's saying nothing negative, he's just letting RG3 cool his heels.

The DC media will do what they do. It's no thang. RG3 will go on opening day if he's ready, then it will be over. And hopefully RG3 will remember not try to play both sides next time. It's not a big deal, it's just a lesson.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

As you say, it's the DC media. I haven't heard anything directly from either of them that concerns me.

Griffin wanted to play in Seattle when he was injured and told everyone that. Then there was the implication other people had made mistakes, and they knew what they were. Now he wants to play again in the pre-season. Mike is just showing a kid in his early twenties there are consequences to what you say. You can't screw with your boss and pay no price at all. But Shannahan's saying nothing negative, he's just letting RG3 cool his heels.

The DC media will do what they do. It's no thang. RG3 will go on opening day if he's ready, then it will be over. And hopefully RG3 will remember not try to play both sides next time. It's not a big deal, it's just a lesson.

I like how you put it.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football