Evan Royster battles for a spot in the backfield

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 am

RICHMOND — Around this time last year, Evan Royster appeared to be on his way to becoming the Washington Redskins‘ starting tailback. Two strong performances (39 total carries for 245 yards) to close out the 2011 season had propelled the former practice squad player up the depth chart.

But for as quickly as Royster’s leap into the starter discussion transpired, the gradual steps back down to the fringes of the Redskins’ offensive game plan – injuries, Alfred Morris‘s emergence, a demotion from his third-down back duties — seemed to play out just as swiftly.

Now, with Morris firmly entrenched as the starter and five running backs logjammed in a race for the likely two backup spots, Royster in some ways sounds as if he’s back in 2011, a sixth-round draft pick looking to fight his way off the bubble and onto the final roster.

“I want to be on this team and I want to play,” Royster said following Thursday’s morning walk-through. “So I’m going to come out here to compete and do my best all the time, no matter what the situation is.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm

That's my Dawg! He got a lot of fight in him yet, we will see who can make the most out of their carries during preseason... If he is the odd man out OR makes the roster-we will be deep at rb that's for sure
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:37 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:That's my Dawg! He got a lot of fight in him yet, we will see who can make the most out of their carries during preseason... If he is the odd man out OR makes the roster-we will be deep at rb that's for sure

The guy looked terrible to me last year...maybe it was just in comparison with Morris. At any rate, Morris will be almost as hard to replace as RG111. With Royster or Helu at RB, no title.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:42 am

+1 I don't get the fascination with Royster. He is soft, and almost never survives first contact.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 am

Evan Royster - RB - Redskins

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was "really impressed" with Evan Royster and Roy Helu's performances in Thursday's preseason opener.

Helu rushed 13 times for 57 yards, while Royster took the rock 14 times for 62 yards. "I thought Royster did a great job when he was in there," Shanahan said. "I’ve got to take a look at film, but my initial thoughts were I’m very impressed with both." Royster is squarely on the bubble, but eliciting public praise from his coach is a good sign. Ideally, Helu would serve as the Redskins' third-down back while Royster acted as more of a direct backup to Alfred Morris. It's unclear where rookies Chris Thompson and Jawan Jamison fit.

Source: Washington Post Aug 11 - 12:43 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 am

We'll see what happens when the rookies play on PMNF...

Royster is not a bad backup to have on the squad, but if these rookies flash the potential that got them drafted, he better watch out.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 am

Certainly seems better than garbage. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

Countertrey wrote:+1 I don't get the fascination with Royster. He is soft, and almost never survives first contact.

Given our draft picks this year, I'd be surprised if he is on the roster opening day. But you never know.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am

Deadskins wrote:Certainly seems better than garbage. :roll:

Yeah, I'll standby what I said. And I still think he has no real place on this team moving forward.

If Royster was so grand, why did Helu after having not played in an eternity get the nod over him? Royster isn't what this team really needs to break out at the RB position. He's not a threat to do anything but get what the defense will give him, nothing more. And that's adequate... Adequate gets you on the cut list.

Still, the rookies have to show something to unseat him. He's earned his spot but I'm looking forward to an upgrade. Someone who will truly compliment Morris. We'll get to see that potential on Monday.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Was it just me, or did Helu look a little slow on Thursday? Don't get me wrong, dude is probably still getting back into the swing of things and still building his speed back up.

Problem with these games being once a week is that I start over-analyzing out of boredom :lol:

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Was it just me, or did Helu look a little slow on Thursday? Don't get me wrong, dude is probably still getting back into the swing of things and still building his speed back up.

Problem with these games being once a week is that I start over-analyzing out of boredom :lol:

He's quick but lacks top end speed.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:40 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Was it just me, or did Helu look a little slow on Thursday? Don't get me wrong, dude is probably still getting back into the swing of things and still building his speed back up.

He's quick but lacks top end speed.

I saw a D-lineman bust through at the point of attack but Helu still got the edge. He can do 40 in 4.4 which is about as far as a back usually needs to run anyway. Most guys reach top speed at about the 60 yard mark in a 100 then begin to slow.

It's possible Royster is still Morris' handcuff since he is more Morris-like than Helu-like. Helu clearly has the edge as the 3rd down back and is sniffing handcuff status. Royster did score against Seattle so I'd never call him garbage. He may still be better than Helu at blitz pick-up ... not sure.

I think Helu is our most versatile back.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 am

Royster or Helu are non-issues, IMO. Morris is the work horse and either one would be irrelevant come week 1.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Hopefully we'll get a glimpse of Thompson on Monday. Sorry if there's been an update on him already. I'm unsure of his current status.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Royster or Helu are non-issues, IMO. Morris is the work horse and either one would be irrelevant come week 1.

Not come 3rd down baby. Of course, there are always injuries (knock on wood).

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football