Robert Griffin III wrong to reveal rift with Shanahan

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:02 pm

Worst noncontroversial controversy ever.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:04 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:If this was any other player on the team, you'd want them to shut up and listen to Mike. RGIII isn't above that... He needs to shutup.

He showed up and he showed Mike that he can't be trusted to insure his own well-being. That was evident when he folded up like a lawn chair against SEA. Robert can shut up and deal with it now, he'll play when he's told he can play.

And I like the mind game that Mike is playing with Robert right now. Cousins is balling out right now, he's leading the offense. He's showing Robert that he's replaceable, he doesn't make or break this team. That we can move on without him. That's true of every player in the NFL, be it Riggins or Ray Lewis. He's making Robert value his position more by witholding it from him.

We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

I was just about to post something near exact to this, I agree 100%. I cannot stand the fact that certain fans feel that Griffin is above criticism. I don't really believe the BS that there is a "rift" in the locker room, but does Griffin honestly need to have a press conference after every single practice? It's getting old. Just show up, ready to go at week 1, and let your play do the talking.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:26 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:If this was any other player on the team, you'd want them to shut up and listen to Mike. RGIII isn't above that... He needs to shutup.

He showed up and he showed Mike that he can't be trusted to insure his own well-being. That was evident when he folded up like a lawn chair against SEA. Robert can shut up and deal with it now, he'll play when he's told he can play.

And I like the mind game that Mike is playing with Robert right now. Cousins is balling out right now, he's leading the offense. He's showing Robert that he's replaceable, he doesn't make or break this team. That we can move on without him. That's true of every player in the NFL, be it Riggins or Ray Lewis. He's making Robert value his position more by witholding it from him.

We'll see just how mature RGIII is.

I was just about to post something near exact to this, I agree 100%. I cannot stand the fact that certain fans feel that Griffin is above criticism. I don't really believe the BS that there is a "rift" in the locker room, but does Griffin honestly need to have a press conference after every single practice? It's getting old. Just show up, ready to go at week 1, and let your play do the talking.

Not to nitpick, but I also can't stand the exaggeration by the "shut up and sit down crowd" Griffin is made available to the media once a week after practice. That's it. I don't think he's above criticism, I just don't agree with this criticism of him on the issue of his discussing the rehab plan and his feelings on it. And to be really nitpicky, his whole point is that he does want to let his play do the talking. But. the. plan. is. for. him. not. to. play. until. week. 1. So what would you have him do? Ignore every question in his once a week presser related to his injury/rehab/amount of work in practice and lack of playing time? All that would be left would be to discuss the pattern of his new drapes and how much of an idiot Donovan McNabb is (or isn't).
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm

emoses14 wrote:Not to nitpick, but I also can't stand the exaggeration by the "shut up and sit down crowd" Griffin is made available to the media once a week after practice.

Don't forget about his father and twitter profile which he uses to readdress statements given during his press conferences. He's quite talkative.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:50 pm

emoses14 wrote:So what would you have him do? Ignore every question in his once a week presser related to his injury/rehab/amount of work in practice and lack of playing time? All that would be left would be to discuss the pattern of his new drapes and how much of an idiot Donovan McNabb is (or isn't).

I wouldn't let him talk to the media at all. As of right now, Cousins is the starter. He talks to the press.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 pm

OH MY GOD! A young player who feels great is frustrated that his coach is being highly protective...

It's the end of the world!

1: I want Shanahan to protect him
2: I WANT RG3 to chafe that he's not playing yet.

All will be forgotten at the first snap.
This "controversy" is contrived... and is a non-starter.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:36 pm

RGIII just had a surprise press conference basically stating that his words were twisted and turned. That there is no rift.

Like I said, he just needs to chill. No good will come from talking to DC media. This should be a lesson learned for him. According to Cooley, RGIII caught a lot of heat for it.

You can tell Shanny is a bit irritated if you're listening to this live. Essentially said he's tired of seeing crap on Sportscenter every night. If you can't see the problem is words are creating, you're simply turning a blind eye to it.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Look, the kid is learning... he's a bit naïve, and is probably a bit surprised at the efforts of the press to twist his every word to fit their own agenda (to manufacture controversy). I have a feeling that this learning curve is about to flatten out...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Countertrey wrote:Look, the kid is learning... he's a bit naïve, and is probably a bit surprised at the efforts of the press to twist his every word to fit their own agenda (to manufacture controversy). I have a feeling that this learning curve is about to flatten out...

I dunno CT, we've been seeing this side of him since the Browns game.

Edit: maybe you're right. The media is cranking up the heat on him. Just saw Whitlocks article... And the Post. Maybe he will learn that they aren't his friends. Gotta keep stuff in-house.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Not to nitpick, but I also can't stand the exaggeration by the "shut up and sit down crowd" Griffin is made available to the media once a week after practice.

Don't forget about his father and twitter profile which he uses to readdress statements given during his press conferences. He's quite talkative.

I don't hold his father's comments against him. Two different men, same name.

Fair enough on the twitter profile.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:So what would you have him do? Ignore every question in his once a week presser related to his injury/rehab/amount of work in practice and lack of playing time? All that would be left would be to discuss the pattern of his new drapes and how much of an idiot Donovan McNabb is (or isn't).

I wouldn't let him talk to the media at all. As of right now, Cousins is the starter. He talks to the press.

Thank God you're not the coach then. We'd have an even bigger pile of dung to sort through from the national and DC media if Robert was barred from talking to the press on the flimsy premise that Kirk is the starter (in pre-season).

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:37 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Look, the kid is learning... he's a bit naïve, and is probably a bit surprised at the efforts of the press to twist his every word to fit their own agenda (to manufacture controversy). I have a feeling that this learning curve is about to flatten out...

I dunno CT, we've been seeing this side of him since the Browns game.

Edit: maybe you're right. The media is cranking up the heat on him. Just saw Whitlocks article... And the Post. Maybe he will learn that they aren't his friends. Gotta keep stuff in-house.

Whitlock's article felt like I was living in the twilight zone.

Just caught this note from Graziano at ESPN (the NFC East Blogger)

Jason Reid thinks Robert Griffin III needs to stop questioning Mike Shanahan's plan for his recovery in public. I mean, I'm not down there, so maybe I'm reading things all wrong, but I don't see all the wrong everyone seems to be seeing in what Griffin said. And I'm really not comfortable with the idea of telling someone what to say and what not to say in their news conferences. Griffin and Shanahan need to get along, obviously, but there's little if any real evidence that they're not. The kid wants to play, and when someone asks him if he wants to play, he says yeah. But it's a terrible idea to play him in a preseason game right now, and it's Shanahan's job to make the right decision for him and for the team. Whether he likes it or not. Griffin appears to know this. I honestly don't see the problem.

Proof of nothing other than there appears to be a stark difference in view on this stemming largely from the degree/amount of DC sports radio/talk/news etc. you are exposed to or a part of and everyone else (well, unless you live in Calgary, apparently).

I suspect CT is right and that all of this will vanish like a fart in the wind once Game 1 is in the books.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 am

emoses14 wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:

Thank God you're not the coach then. We'd have an even bigger pile of dung to sort through from the national and DC media if Robert was barred from talking to the press on the flimsy premise that Kirk is the starter (in pre-season).

He could have had one or two press conferences about his health and how he plans to be back week 1. After that, he should have none. He's not playing in the preseason, so why should he have weekly press conferences?

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I dunno CT, we've been seeing this side of him since the Browns game.

Yep. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is young and it was his rookie year last year, but it was almost like Griffin was bummed because Cousins played so well in that game.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Worst noncontroversial controversy ever.

As you know, I'm with the trading Cousins is silly camp. But worst ever? We are Redskin fans. Silly controversies go with the territory and we've had some doozies through the years. Quarterback is definitely the biggest area. Colt's been mentioned, he cut through guys who mop floors today like a hot knife through butter and sitting the next Tom Brady on the bench was insane. Babe Laughingstock was one of my favorites.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football