Waived-Injured vs Injured Reserve

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Waived-Injured vs Injured Reserve

Postby rick301 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am

The team also placed linebacker Keenan Robinson and safety Phillip Thomas on injured reserve, and waived-injured cornerback Richard Crawford and linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough.

What are the benefits of waived-injured over injured reserve? The downside on waived-injured is that the player has to clear waivers before being brought back, which usually happens. But what are the benefits of that designation that outweigh the risks of being waived?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Waived-Injured vs Injured Reserve

Postby 1niksder » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 pm

rick301 wrote:
The team also placed linebacker Keenan Robinson and safety Phillip Thomas on injured reserve, and waived-injured cornerback Richard Crawford and linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough.

What are the benefits of waived-injured over injured reserve? The downside on waived-injured is that the player has to clear waivers before being brought back, which usually happens. But what are the benefits of that designation that outweigh the risks of being waived?

Players put on IR have their full salary cap hit count against the team, players that are waived injured will have their contract terminated and receive an injury settlement of about 50% of the base salary of their terminated contract, which will count against the cap. If the player clears waivers the team can then add him to IR to retain his rights.

Going the waived-injured route vs IR will/can save the Skins close to a half million in cap space this year.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby rick301 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:31 pm

1niksder wrote:Players put on IR have their full salary cap hit count against the team, players that are waived injured will have their contract terminated and receive an injury settlement of about 50% of the base salary of their terminated contract, which will count against the cap. If the player clears waivers the team can then add him to IR to retain his rights.

Going the waived-injured route vs IR will/can save the Skins close to a half million in cap space this year.

Cap space is important. I suspected that was the reason. Thanks 1niksder!

So I can infer that the skins were more concerned about potentially losing linebacker Keenan Robinson and safety Phillip Thomas if waived, than either Crawford or Kimbrough.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:36 pm

rick301 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Players put on IR have their full salary cap hit count against the team, players that are waived injured will have their contract terminated and receive an injury settlement of about 50% of the base salary of their terminated contract, which will count against the cap. If the player clears waivers the team can then add him to IR to retain his rights.

So I can infer that the skins were more concerned about potentially losing linebacker Keenan Robinson and safety Phillip Thomas if waived, than either Crawford or Kimbrough.

I sure hope they were. That's gotta be a safe inference.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Re: Waived-Injured vs Injured Reserve=

Postby Countertrey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm

rick301 wrote:

Yes... using IR you can make sure that you retain rights to the player. Any time you waive a player, you are surrendering any rights.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:47 am

1niksder wrote:Going the waived-injured route vs IR will/can save the Skins close to a half million in cap space this year.

They've both cleared waivers and have been added to IR
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:26 am

1niksder wrote:
rick301 wrote:

Players put on IR have their full salary cap hit count against the team, players that are waived injured will have their contract terminated and receive an injury settlement of about 50% of the base salary of their terminated contract, which will count against the cap. If the player clears waivers the team can then add him to IR to retain his rights.

This isn't completely accurate :oops: and my reply didn't give you all the info that you were seeking ;furious; :explode: ... So after a bit of searching let's try this again with complete and accurate info.

Remember I'm a numbers guy so this may require a re-read, or reading a little at a time. :twisted:

:?:
rick301 wrote:What are the benefits of waived-injured over injured reserve? The downside on waived-injured is that the player has to clear waivers before being brought back, which usually happens. But what are the benefits of that designation that outweigh the risks of being waived?

As explained earlier.... if Richard Crawford, Jeremy Kimbrough and now Ryan Mouton had went straight on the IR list their full 2013 salaries and current year's pro-rated SB allotment would count against the cap (this would be in addition to the top 51). That would have added $1.52M to this years cap... Prior to these moves only Mouton counted in the "rule of 51" (with a cap hit of $630K) and Crawford's pro-rated SB of $16K. As far as the current cap impact of these moves total a savings of a whopping $75K... Mouton's $630 came off the top 51 list but Evan Royster's $555K hit moved into the top 51 and Crawford's $16K simply moved from pro-rated SB to dead cap money.

So benefit number ONE... as you stated in your own way... is all three cleared waivers and are still with the team.

Benefit number TWO... is instead of adding $1.5M to the cap, these moves saved $75K.

Benefit number THREE... will take a minute :D

All three players were waived injured and resigned after they cleared waivers, Jacolby Ashworth was also waived injured but wasn't re-signed... All four moves were made to to get the team down to a 75 man "active" roster...

Teams had to get down from 90 to 75... again we are talking 75 on the active roster. Each NFL team has a 90 man roster limit and the limit is in effect year round (in season and off-season). During the season teams have a 53 man "active" roster, plus an eight man practice squad each teams also has 29 spots for IR, reserve PUP, NFI, left the team or whatever. The Redskins are at the 75 player active roster limit but currently have 81 players on the roster.

Although Richard Crawford, Jeremy Kimbrough and Ryan Mouton were all re-signed and placed on IR none of them count towards the 90 man limit considering they were injured when they were signed... which would be benefit number THREE. If the team had treated these three like they did Keenan Robinson and Phillip Thomas they would have three less spots to use on players they might want to retain, that don't have injuries that require 9 or ten plus months of recovery and/or rehab time.

FYI

Ashworth was waived-injured and not re-signed, meaning they cut him a check to take care of his medical cost. The players that were signed and placed on IR will also have their medical expenses covered by the team but will all be paid a salary... of which NONE counts towards the cap (technically they don't even count as being a part of the team)..

Also...
Crawford was scheduled to make $480K in base salary this season before being waived, he re-signed for $303K or 63% of what he would have earned if he had made the active roster. So I used 63% of Mouton and Kimbrough's 2013 base salaries to calculate the cap space saved for this discussion. In reality I'm sure Crawford was paid on the high end considering he was on the active roster last season and slotted as the primary return man this year.

Hope I covered it all this time
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:09 am

So glad we have 1nik on the THN "pay"roll. :lol:

Excellent as always, dude. :up:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Postby yupchagee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:28 am

sknaht
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby 1niksder » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm

yupchagee wrote:sknaht
:D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby rick301 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm

+1

Thanks 1niksder!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:35 pm

I saw what you did there...

:up:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Now, you do. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:33 pm

I am officially lobbying for an ignore button...

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm really glad Crawford is on our IR now. Hopefully he comes back and makes an impact!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football