Redskins Cuts

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby yupchagee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:I will get some hate for this one but I can't resist.

I know he's older and we are focused on developing our own talent, but what's you guys thoughts on talking with Antoine Winfield again?

I read somewhere today that he retired.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 pm

I'd love to see Nick Williams and Chase make it to the PS.

Looks like we're going to really run the ball this year. Speaking of which, I'm surprised the Keiland was released.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby yupchagee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:40 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'd love to see Nick Williams and Chase make it to the PS.

Looks like we're going to really run the ball this year. Speaking of which, I'm surprised the Keiland was released.

So was I, but I guess that he showed enough in the last game to get the last RB spot.
Skins fan since '55

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'd love to see Nick Williams and Chase make it to the PS.

I read a Tweet that the decision came down to Chase's depth and his special teams contribution. Murphy supposedly was better with special teams. The hope is that he gets on the PS so he would actually get more practice time than where he'd be on the depth chart.

Just repeating what I heard, can't verify its validity.

That said, I don't think he's going to be picked up by another team. I think we'll get him back on our PS.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:30 am

Most significant move: Keeping four quarterbacks with back-from-the-dead Pat White making the roster. Anyone who saw White throw early in spring workouts would not have predicted this scenario. But White, who has been out of the NFL the past three seasons, improved throughout the summer and the coaches genuinely liked what they saw. One coach predicted earlier in the week that he would be on someone’s roster. White showed he can still run and mastered the slant routes and digs. He still needs to work on finesse throws and prove he can make throws into tight windows over the middle, but his improvement was noticeable.

However, keeping four is still a lot. But with Kirk Cousins nursing a sprained right foot and with Robert Griffin III not having played in the preseason, the Redskins might just keep White around for the first couple of games. They have roster exemptions for end Jarvis Jenkins and linebacker Rob Jackson, both suspended for the first four games, so they could make this sort of move. If Griffin and Cousins both stay healthy, it’s hard to see this being a long-term situation. Still, White made big strides after a rough start.

The Redskins also opted to keep running back Evan Royster, who perhaps saved his job with a strong preseason finale at Tampa Bay. He's one of five running backs along with speedy rookie Chris Thompson.

Gone, but not yet forgotten: The Redskins would like to re-sign a number of their released players to the practice squad, including Chase Minnifield, Nick Williams, Tevita Stevens, Will Compton and tight end Emmanuel Ogbuehi, among others. Minnifield’s release was a surprise, given how the coaches talked about him during camp and his physical style in press coverage -- and with the loss of corner Richard Crawford. But the coaches liked corner Jerome Murphy’s physical style as well – and his special teams ability. Williams is an intriguing prospect as a slot receiver and punt returner. Ogbeuhi is a raw prospect who needs to spend a year or two on the practice squad.

Safety DeJon Gomes, a fifth-round pick in 2011 and opening day starter in 2012, did not progress in coverage. Though he was better in the box, the Redskins have Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty ahead of him at strong safety. And they opted for Jose Gumbs, signed right before camp, as a swing safety.

The Redskins also placed offensive lineman Maurice Hurt on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. The tough cut? Receiver Dez Briscoe. According to a league source, Briscoe would have made the roster had he not injured his shoulder in the preseason finale.

What's next: The Redskins next big moves will occur after Week 4 when Jenkins and Jackson return from their four-game suspensions. At that point end Phillip Merling could be in trouble, along with, possibly White, simply because it would be unusual to keep four quarterbacks all season.

The Redskins lack experienced depth along the offensive line and could always use more help at safety. So if anyone intriguing clears waivers, the Redskins would be interested. They also retain the rights to suspended safety Tanard Jackson, who is now eligible for reinstatement. However, it could take a while for the NFL to grant his return -- if they give it to him at all.

Redskins cuts: RB: Keiland Williams, Jawan Jamison, RB Tristan Davis (from exempt/left squad list). WR: Skye Dawson, Nick Williams, Lance Lewis, Dez Briscoe (designated as injured). OL: Tevita Stevens, Tony Pashos, Kevin Matthews, Xavier Nixon. TE: Emmanuel Ogbuehi. DL: Chigo Anunoby, Dominique Hamilton, Ron Brace. DB: DeJon Gomes, Chase Minnifield LB: Vic So’oto, Will Compton, Marvin Burdette.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 am

Absolutely no experienced depth on the o-line. Four quarterbacks. Five wide receivers (less than Shanahan likes to have).

I can't help thinking that business has not yet been concluded on building this year's roster.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:20 am

I agree, I don't even think this is our roster for game 1 -- Monday the 9th!

Wow, a Brit and an American can agree!!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 am

What can we get for Pat white is what I'm excited about... He looked better then Pryor in Oaktown- and he's their proclaimed savior! Looked better then Geno by far... Probably looked as good as most other teams back ups so I think he will bring in more then he's probably worth. Wishful thinking like always lmao
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am

Just listening to NFL radio.....think Jim Miller thinks that maybe we are dangling Grossman as trade bait vice White.....or another theory is that White will emulate Vick for practice this week, then could be gone..
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:39 am

fredp45 wrote:I agree, I don't even think this is our roster for game 1 -- Monday the 9th!

Wow, a Brit and an American can agree!!!

http://youtu.be/kK_gl9zke9o

Postby yupchagee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:41 pm

rskin72 wrote:Just listening to NFL radio.....think Jim Miller thinks that maybe we are dangling Grossman as trade bait vice White.....or another theory is that White will emulate Vick for practice this week, then could be gone..

QB's on roster, both rookies, 1 undrafted. They may well want some with experience on roster.
Skins fan since '55

swine

Postby masterkwon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:00 pm

I just wish they would cut Larry Michaels. What a homer.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm

yupchagee wrote:
rskin72 wrote:Just listening to NFL radio.....think Jim Miller thinks that maybe we are dangling Grossman as trade bait vice White.....or another theory is that White will emulate Vick for practice this week, then could be gone..

QB's on roster, both rookies, 1 undrafted. They may well want some with experience on roster.

We don't have any rookies at qb... :hmm:
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Postby yupchagee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:58 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

I meant the Bills might be looking for an experienced QB.
Skins fan since '55

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:11 pm

yupchagee wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

I meant the Bills might be looking for an experienced QB.

Ah I see.. with Kolb out indefinitely Pat White has more experience then anyone they have at qb not just Rex... Hopefully we get an offer can't refuse from one of these qb starved teams soon!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football