Waived v. Released

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
Pursuer of Justice

Waived v. Released

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:58 pm

Stupid question.

Is there really any difference between a team "waiving" a player versus just "releasing" a player?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:16 am

I don't think there is a difference.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Hog

Re: Waived v. Released

Postby redskincity » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:19 am

Justice Hog wrote:Stupid question.

Is there really any difference between a team "waiving" a player versus just "releasing" a player?

Damn. Thats a good question. I thought that they were the same????? Maybe waived is considerd kind words :?: :?
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 am

My only guess (I'll probably get it wrong) is that when a player is "waived" they are quite literally placed on the waivers. I think that affects just how teams can acquire them. As far as I can tell, there are certain claiming rights, etc. associated with waivers. Remember when Deion, after quiting the Skins, said that he would like to join Oakland in the playoffs as they went for a Superbowl? Marty did made some kind of "claim" on Sanders, essentially making it impossible for him to play for Oakland that year. I think.

If a player is "released," I think that they are free to pursue whatever team they'd like, and go to the highest bidder if need be.

I'm probably way off on this, though.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:46 am

FanfromAnnapolis wrote:My only guess (I'll probably get it wrong) is that when a player is "waived" they are quite literally placed on the waivers. I think that affects just how teams can acquire them. As far as I can tell, there are certain claiming rights, etc. associated with waivers. Remember when Deion, after quiting the Skins, said that he would like to join Oakland in the playoffs as they went for a Superbowl? Marty did made some kind of "claim" on Sanders, essentially making it impossible for him to play for Oakland that year. I think.

If a player is "released," I think that they are free to pursue whatever team they'd like, and go to the highest bidder if need be.

I'm probably way off on this, though.

I don't think that is right, because when the 'boys just released Quincy, he "cleared waivers" a few days later.

-Tony

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:07 am

cvillehog wrote:I don't think that is right, because when the 'boys just released Quincy, he "cleared waivers" a few days later.

-Tony

Actually, I think you just proved his point. No one wanted Quincy, so he "cleared waivers". As a free agent, other teams won't have to give up as much.
Back and better than ever!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:22 am

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
cvillehog wrote:I don't think that is right, because when the 'boys just released Quincy, he "cleared waivers" a few days later.

-Tony

Actually, I think you just proved his point. No one wanted Quincy, so he "cleared waivers". As a free agent, other teams won't have to give up as much.

I believe "cleared waivers" means that he became available. Basically, it's the time it takes for the paperwork to go through when you are released. Teams weren't able to persue him between the time he was "released" and "cleared waivers."

At least, that is my understanding.

-Tony

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:35 am

cvillehog wrote:
REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:

-Tony

I believe "cleared waivers" means that he became available. Basically, it's the time it takes for the paperwork to go through when you are released. Teams weren't able to persue him between the time he was "released" and "cleared waivers."

At least, that is my understanding.

-Tony

Hmm. May well be. I'll keep watching this thread until we get a definitive answer. Thanks. :)
Back and better than ever!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:48 am

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:Hmm. May well be. I'll keep watching this thread until we get a definitive answer. Thanks. :)

Me too. I'm not even sure I know where to start looking for the answer. :?

But, it sure SEEMS like the talking heads use the terms interchangeably. Not that that necessarily means they are correct...

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:15 pm

I found the definition of the waiver system. It basically says that if a player is waived, all other teams can claim him. The team with the worst record gets first dibbs. If a team claims him, it is treated as a trade as far as salary cap ramifications and such. If he is not claimed then he becomes an unrestricted free agent. I have not see any definition of a player being released thus far.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:31 pm

(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. If the waivers occur after that time, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club. However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded.

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

Basically, if you are released with 4 or more accrued seasons you are a free agent. If you are released with less than 4 years, you are put on the waiver wire.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Well done, JansenFan. Man I love this website.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:24 pm

note that 'b' paragraph where it states that the team that claims a waived player must honor the existing contract. tyhat's why it's rare for teams to claim waived players with big contracts; they think that they can get a better deal if they wait until he clears waivers.

thanks for posting that jansenfan.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:15 pm

Glad to be of service!!
RIP 21

Postby blitzkrieg » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:55 am

This topic is quite confusing for a newbie in the forum. But thanks to JansenFan, i got to understand it a bit.

Return to Football 101