NFC East most overrated division in football

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby ZoneRead » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 am

Looking around the NFL, I know why people think the NFCE is the most overrated - it's because it's the most talked about. When you have storied franchises like the Redskins and RG3, the Giants who have won 2 Super Bowls over the past 6 years, the Eagles who were one of the most dominant teams over a ten year span in the 2000s, and the Cowboys who are always in the headlines win, lose, or draw.

However, I don't see the media as a whole calling the East the most dominant. It is however, in my opinion, the most competitive from top to bottom. There is no over rating that.

As far as ranking the Redskins 3rd in the division this year, it's anyone's guess. If the Redskins fall to 8-8 or even 9-7, it's possible that they do finish 3rd in the division. As good as we feel about the this year's team, there are still plenty of questions/concerns where we can't be absolutely certain about anything.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 am

If anything I think the NFCE is UNDER rated! Most media talk about the East as being a bad division personally I think it is one of the best. You can make a case it is currently the best in the NFC. Sure the NFCW has two really good teams, but the CHawks aren't any better than the Skins (reguardless of them being assumed to be great) and I'm not sure they are any better than the Gints or Cowgirls.

The Niners are the class of the NFC, but the Lams and Folding Cards aren't better than the EGirls.

The NFCC has the Packer and that's it. The Bears, Vikings, and Lions are average and Would any of them be favored over the Skins, Gints, or tTiT?

The NFCS... Worst in the conference. Sure the Falcons are good and the Saints may be good, but the Panthers and Bucs will be picking in the top ten of the draft next year.

The AFCW... Denver and that's it.

The AFCS... Houston and thats it (unless you count the worst team in the NFL (Jags))

The AFCN... Who knows what BMore will be but they wiil be in the playoffs just like evry year under Flaco/Harbaugh, the Stiller ???, the Browns are going to compete with the Jags for that top spot in the draft, and the Bungles should be the class of the division but does anyone really want to put much money on that.

The AFCE belongs to the Pats (even though Brady has NO ONE to throw the ball to). After that, the rest of the teams make that division the worst in the NFL!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 am

^^ - I agree that the NFCE is going to be tough - I don't know about the eagles but I do think that any of the other 3 could win the division

I like the Redskins to win this again though I do see some tough divisional games
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 am

I second both skinsfan and SJ's comments. The NFCE is certainly nowhere near it's glory days of the 80's and 90s, when every team except the Cardinals was a force to be reckoned with, but I think top to bottom it's still the deepest in the NFC. The days of the "Beast" were years of unprecedented dominance however. It was almost like the teams in the East were FBS and the teams in the other divisions, 49'ers aside, were FCS...

I would even go so far as to wonder if maybe one or even two SB's weren't left on the table for either us, the Giants or Cowboys if for no other reason than the physical toll of not ONE but TWO games against diivisional rivals who were equally formidable took too much out of each unit for it to go deep in the playoffs.

What say you to that, gents? Possible, or merely highly speculative?
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:02 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:I second both skinsfan and SJ's comments. The NFCE is certainly nowhere near it's glory days of the 80's and 90s, when every team except the Cardinals was a force to be reckoned with, but I think top to bottom it's still the deepest in the NFC. The days of the "Beast" were years of unprecedented dominance however. It was almost like the teams in the East were FBS and the teams in the other divisions, 49'ers aside, were FCS...

I would even go so far as to wonder if maybe one or even two SB's weren't left on the table for either us, the Giants or Cowboys if for no other reason than the physical toll of not ONE but TWO games against diivisional rivals who were equally formidable took too much out of each unit for it to go deep in the playoffs.

Oh, I 100% agree that the NFCE is a shadow of what it once was but so is the entire NFL. No division will ever be that dominant again. And yes I do believe that because we beet up on each other our teams were worn down by the time we faced teams like the 49er (who always had a cake walk playing in the worst division in football in the 80's).

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
BigRedskinDaddy wrote:I second both skinsfan and SJ's comments. The NFCE is certainly nowhere near it's glory days of the 80's and 90s, when every team except the Cardinals was a force to be reckoned with, but I think top to bottom it's still the deepest in the NFC. The days of the "Beast" were years of unprecedented dominance however. It was almost like the teams in the East were FBS and the teams in the other divisions, 49'ers aside, were FCS...

Oh, I 100% agree that the NFCE is a shadow of what it once was but so is the entire NFL. No division will ever be that dominant again. And yes I do believe that because we beet up on each other our teams were worn down by the time we faced teams like the 49er (who always had a cake walk playing in the worst division in football in the 80's).

Which is why the Skinsare the "real" team of the eighties. The 49ers got the Falcons, the Aints, and the old Rams twice a year and a guaranteed playoff birth. If the Skins had been in that division, we might have won five or six times.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 am

Deadskins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Which is why the Skinsare the "real" team of the eighties. The 49ers got the Falcons, the Aints, and the old Rams twice a year and a guaranteed playoff birth. If the Skins had been in that division, we might have won five or six times.

Gibbs>Walsh Walsh.
Had Gibbs had a HoF QB or two, how many more SBs would he have won, even in the NFCE.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I can see why someone might think the NFC East is overrated: Everyone always thinks the Cowboys and Giants will do better than they actually do — the Cowboys especially. And then everyone is either in love with or intrigued by Kelly and his new scheme.

I've seen more mainstream analysts pick the Eagles than the Skins to win the division, which is strange. If you just go by talent the Eagles are not looking poised to win much of anything this year: their offensive line is questionable at best and their defense is going to struggle. Vick simply isn't a top-tier quarterback, and the QBs behind him won't do squat.

Meanwhile, for the first time in years the Redskins actually look deep at almost every position (except at safety) and even have emerging stars in several crucial positions. We are the safer pick by any reasonable estimate.

I agree, but believe the Cowboys and Eagles generally underperform. The NYGs have won a couple SBs recently. Add the fact we have only had a couple good seasons over the past 20 years and I think people that don't look further would say the division is overrated.

Now, why we would be ranked 3rd baffles me. We have only gotten better and healthier since last year's 10-6 season.

Then again, the mainstream media LOVES a new shiny toy. They love new coaches and FAs --- when they rarely work out in their first season. The media used to rate us high after our grand "off-season champs" years. They don't understand the game well enough to know better.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:35 pm

This division is the most tough one in the whole conference, IMO. Since 2004, no team in the division has won the title back to back years. And from 09 to last year, every team in the division won the title (Dallas, Philly, NY, Us). How does that make an "overrated division"? If anything, the teams in the division are overrated (Cowpukes the most by far) but the division itself is one of the toughest.

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:05 pm

yawns who cares what they think..

you know what they say about opinions.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Skinsfreak.. wussup bruh.. it must be football season again!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football