Bacarri Rambo

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Bacarri Rambo

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:00 am

I was a big fan of Rambo in college but in all honesty he should ONLY be in on 3rd and long situations for this team. His tackling, angles, and aggression isn't adequate enough for any shorter distanced downs. Do you agree?

Hopefully Meriweather comes back this week as well as a Reed Doughty sighting, who is much better in tackling and reading defenses.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 am

I thought Rambo played pretty well. His tackling and angles are about 1,000% better than they were in the preseason, so I don't mind him staying in and improving on that.

He's a 6th round pick with all of the rough edges you'd expect with that. Still, he's probably better than our alternatives — yes, even Doughty — in my humble opinion.

Can't wait to see if we can finally get Merriweather in there for more than a dozen plays. :|
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I thought Rambo played pretty well. His tackling and angles are about 1,000% better than they were in the preseason, so I don't mind him staying in and improving on that.

He's a 6th round pick with all of the rough edges you'd expect with that. Still, he's probably better than our alternatives — yes, even Doughty — in my humble opinion.

Can't wait to see if we can finally get Merriweather in there for more than a dozen plays. :|

You were watching the Eagles game? I mean maybe he played well back there in coverage but continued from his preseason woes to miss tackles and just not play aggressive enough. I think he will be better than Doughty in due time but not now...curious to why you think he is better at this point with Doughty's experience and knowledge of the defense.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

mastdark81 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I thought Rambo played pretty well. His tackling and angles are about 1,000% better than they were in the preseason, so I don't mind him staying in and improving on that.

You were watching the Eagles game? I mean maybe he played well back there in coverage but continued from his preseason woes to miss tackles and just not play aggressive enough. I think he will be better than Doughty in due time but not now...curious to why you think he is better at this point with Doughty's experience and knowledge of the defense.

Rambo and Doughty play different safety positions and despite that this defense at times uses them interchangeably you can't really compare the two. No question Doughty is better in the box, at tackling and reading plays but Rambo is the better choice at FS because of his ball skills and his speed. If anything, I question the use of Biggers at SS. I didn't see him provide much of anything in either the pass or run game. I'd have preferred both Doughty and Rambo on the field and think Doughty would help get Rambo acclimated.

As for Rambo's tackling, McCoy and Vick are about as tough as it gets in the open field and nobody had much success tackling them. Rambo missed some tackles to be sure but his biggest mistake actually seemed to be in coverage on the first TD to Jackson. All in all he wasn't our biggest issue in that game, IMO. I think he'll get better and better with more playing time and quite frankly we don't have an alternative right now at FS.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Merriweather feels great

Right now I feel great. Whatever coach says that’s what I go by. He’s a smart guy, he knows his players, he knows our movements. He knows us very well so if he feels I’m ready to play I’ll go play

I’m confident in my trainers, I’m confident they did everything possible to get me ready. I’m confident my coaches kept me out long enough and put me in at the right time. I’m confident I know the playbook well enough and I can go out there and perform whatever the coaches ask.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm

mastdark81 wrote:

Rambo made ten tackles against the Eagles. Sure he missed a couple against the most elusive ball carrier in the game, but ten tackles--give credit where due. I've about given up on Merriweather staying healthy. He's no option, in my opinion. I don't know where Doughty was. Frustrating.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Rambo is a rookie and made a lot of tackles. First regular season game against one of the best RBs in the league.
I say it was good experience and I am sure he will learn from it.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I think we need to pump the brakes here. Rambo is raw, but the coaches like him enough to start him. I think he just needs playing time to start believing what he is seeing.

If he is playing the same the next time we face the Eagle, then we have a problem, but for right now we all need to relax. And when we beat the Pack this weekend we will all need to pump the brakes too on the SB talks.

Look there are plenty of people that had forgetable games (or atleast ones they wish they could forget) Monday night. Lets see how the team is playing in October or November before we over react.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I think we need to pump the brakes here. Rambo is raw, but the coaches like him enough to start him. I think he just needs playing time to start believing what he is seeing.

If he is playing the same the next time we face the Eagle, then we have a problem, but for right now we all need to relax. And when we beat the Pack this weekend we will all need to pump the brakes too on the SB talks.

Look there are plenty of people that had forgetable games (or atleast ones they wish they could forget) Monday night. Lets see how the team is playing in October or November before we over react.

I know I know but I'm all about keeping the best 53 players, playing the players that give the Redskins the best chance to win barring any set backs!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 pm

He's still messing up and "not ready", but as others have said, he's improving. If you want the best of Rambo, you're going to have to sit through the worst of him; he won't grow into a game-changer on the practice squad...that's only obtained with the big boys.

Keep him thrown in the fire. He's coachable, which means he'll learn faster this way.

If he's doing too many mistakes in a game, just rotate him with Doughty. Just don't bench him while you're trying to teach him the ropes of the NFL.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Just to add one last thing, Rambo needs to start playing as a "tackler" not a "hitter". At least moreso in the run game.

Some mistakes I saw from him on Monday was trying to bring a man down with his shoulder, but not wrapping his arms around him as well. Worst case, you grab the dude, he stays up, is slowed down, another Skins player comes up and knocks him into next season. "Thanks for coming out!"

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:21 pm

In the oh-so-short time we had him, Sean Taylor pretty much ruined us for any other safeties, Free or Strong. His untimely demise goes WAY beyond the gridiron, of course, but between the hash marks it was the NFL equivalent of Len Bias and the Celtics. The 'Skins were set for DAYS back there....and then they weren't.

I don't believe anybody who's patrolled the deep middle - not Reed, Lynch, Polamalu, Atwater - none of em had the skillset and the potential ST did.

I miss ya Sean. But I'll see you again, eventually.

EDIT: Apologies. I know this adds nothing to the discussion on the table, but I got a little wistful there for a sec. Carry on -
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:In the oh-so-short time we had him, Sean Taylor pretty much ruined us for any other safeties, Free or Strong. His untimely demise goes WAY beyond the gridiron, of course, but between the hash marks it was the NFL equivalent of Len Bias and the Celtics. The 'Skins were set for DAYS back there....and then they weren't.

I don't believe anybody who's patrolled the deep middle - not Reed, Lynch, Polamalu, Atwater - none of em had the skillset and the potential ST did.

EDIT: Apologies. I know this adds nothing to the discussion on the table, but I got a little wistful there for a sec. Carry on -

He'd be the antiGronk and the antiGraham just to name a few.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:41 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:In the oh-so-short time we had him, Sean Taylor pretty much ruined us for any other safeties, Free or Strong. His untimely demise goes WAY beyond the gridiron, of course, but between the hash marks it was the NFL equivalent of Len Bias and the Celtics. The 'Skins were set for DAYS back there....and then they weren't.

None the less, an excellent post. Literally brings a tear to your eye.

As you said, his demise goes well beyond the small world of football, but its understandable to see things from the football perspective because of how much we love this team; and how much we loved him on account of the greatness he brought to the team.

There will never be another ST :(

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 am

Yes, this post does add something to this discussion. If you remember correctly you will remember that Sean wasn't a good trackler his first couple of years and he would get beat in coverage at times too. It wasn't until his last couple of seasons that ST became the player most of us remember.

Many of the faults people are accusing Rambo of having we're some of the same traits Taylor had his first couple of seasons. Now I'm not saying Rambo well be the next ST or even half the player Sean was, but what I am saying is Sean was ruff abound the edges his first couple of seasons and became a player that would have been a Hof player had he not tragically been killed.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football