Week 2 @ Green Bay Postgame

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:35 pm

RayNAustin wrote:I know I'm probably in the severe minority on this opinion, but when you see such a dramatic, across the board failure like we've seen these past two weeks ... talent cannot continue to be the primary scapegoat. If the movie sucks and the actors suck .... you gotta start looking at the director.

The director put together a prolific offense last year, yet you strip him of that honor. He's shown what he can do with a healthy RGIII.

Talent isn't the blame, a lack of health is the blame. That is not Kyles fault.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:I know I'm probably in the severe minority on this opinion, but when you see such a dramatic, across the board failure like we've seen these past two weeks ... talent cannot continue to be the primary scapegoat. If the movie sucks and the actors suck .... you gotta start looking at the director.

The director put together a prolific offense last year, yet you strip him of that honor. He's shown what he can do with a healthy RGIII.

Talent isn't the blame, a lack of health is the blame. That is not Kyles fault.

Kyle's probably safe for now, but the defense has been weak and disorganized ever since Haslett started, he really needs to go.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:20 pm

lol. Oh good grief. Its week 2 and we're already calling for the QB to be benched AND the coaches to be fired.

Gotta love Washington.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:It would be different if the D was playing well and the O was just letting them down, but that isn't the case.

Or they believe that the offense is letting the defense down... That door swings both ways.

Yes, I agree, but anyone that thinks the defense is playing poorly because of the offense then they are just naïve. Now if they had forced three and outs the first half and then wore down as the game went on then you can blame the Defensive woes on the Offense. Here are the GB first five drives:

Drive 1 - 14 plays, 70 yards, 6min 58sec – FG
Drive 2 - 3 and out
Drive 3 - 4 plays, 42 yards, 41sec – TD
Drive 4 - 8 plays, 75 yards, 3min 13sec – TD
Drive 5 - 6 plays, 90 yards, 2min 57sec – TD

This was all in a quarter and a half and if you D can’t stand being on the field for most of one half before fatiguing then you have some serious fitness problems. GB had first five drives resulted in 24 points. GB would have scored on another long drive at the end of the first half if the Skins hadn’t gotten a very fortunate bounce and that fumbled ball not hit the pylon resulting in a touch back.

The Phily game was very similar, but the offense was much more culpable in that fuster cluck because of all of the turnovers.

If they want a rest.... force more than one punt!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:31 pm

riggofan wrote:lol. Oh good grief. Its week 2 and we're already calling for the QB to be benched AND the coaches to be fired.

Gotta love Washington.

To be fair, I think pretty much every single team has these "knee jerkers". My timeline on facebook was blowing up yesterday with people screaming for Tyrod Taylor to come in and replace Joe Flacco. Sometimes it's best to ignore the idiots and hope they go away.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:The defense was really bad, but I swear a lot of yall would drink RGIII's bathwater if he asked you to.

If he isn't 100%, he shouldn't be on the field. He does NOT get a pass for rushing back and holding the offense back. Giving all of his 80% or whatever his health really is, isn't good enough and he doesn't deserve a pat on the back for it. Kirk Cousins should be our starting QB if Robert cannot help this team win.

As far as the defense is concerned.

- Fletcher is 1000 years old.
- Meriweather is still fragile.
- Hall is Hall.
- Doughty is Doughty.
- Rambo is a 6th round pick, despite the kool-aid we all choose to drink. He showed his true colors in the preseason.
- Amerson is a rookie but looks decent.

All that being said, they are who we knew them to be. With the CAP ramification and lack of picks to get RGIII, why did people think they were magically going to turn into a top 5 defense? People are talking about the Steelers and the Ravens, teams with multiple HOF players on them.... We have one and he didn't accumulate that resume mainly from being a Redskin.

And honestly, the defense could have had 4 interceptions in the 1st half and the offense would have done exactly jack-sh** with it. But I'm sure someone would have expected 4 more and complained that we didn't get 8.

Our offense scored three TDS. Teams just dont give away TDS. Each and every point in this league is earned. Like I said our offense isnt firing on all cyclinders. Yet our offense still managed to put up points. Defenses love to get shutouts if they have the option. No way I am buying the argument that teams played soft on us. When a team plays prevent they are trying to cover the long ball and quick scores. If an opposing offense poses no threat of quick scores there is no need to play a prevent against such an offense.

You can slice it however you want but our offense put up three TDs in each game. Had our defense put up a fight it would have been a close game.

I expect this defense to be top ten. We have the talent so I expect more.

Haslett from the time he has arrived until now. Still he has failed to show significant progress. Like I said our offense has shown improvement. Yet our defense is still a work in progress? You cant excuse that. He has had four years to prepare. Especially now that Haslett has talent to work with.

Haslett fails to put our players in the best possible situation to succeed. He is always one step behind. He is playing checkers while the opposing offense is playing chess.

My analysis for what its worth. I think this defense could be top ten with the current talent. If we use the players we have correctly.

CBs Amerson and Hall. Amerson has shown he can play. He is big fast and physical. More man to man coverage. Hall can still cover same with him more man to man. Use Halls aggressiveness, play to his strengths. Bump and run more man to man coverage.

Reed Doughtys strength is his tackling and being in the right position. Use him more around the line of schrimmage.

Merriwhether was playing well until he got hurt. He is injury prone. Need him to stay on the field.

More man to man coverage. Its a copycat league. We have the defensive players to run a scheme like Seattle. Seattle and the Forty Niners run a heavy man to man coverage with the four down lineman going after the QB. Mixed in with blitzes.

Perry Riley and London Fletcher. Riley has shown he can get to the QB. Utilize this. Fletcher is old but he can still play. Use him right.

It all points to Haslett being terrible once again. How else does a team give up 1000 yards in two games?
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

How many games should the Redskins spend trying to get Griffin comfortable and productive in the pocket?

They spent 2 games so far and the result 0-2. To my eyes he looks inept. What if things continue like this how many games should they go 3, 4, 5 or more? Should they invest the entire season letting Griffin learn how to perform in the pocket?

I ask these questions because it doesn't look like he's anywhere close to being effective. Maybe the light will go on next week and he'll look like he belongs out there but after watching duplicate performances I doubt it.

I think the Redskins ought to focus on winning this week and if Griffin comes out of the blocks looking as inept as he has the last two weeks they should sit him down early in the first half because they need to win and he isn't playing well enough to help the team. Cousins may be able to help the Skins win and stay in the division race. He's had success playing in the pocket and rolling out and he may be the best option for awhile.

The Skins need to try to win. It's too early in the season to throw in the towel and devote the year teaching Griffin Pocket 101, that can always wait to later in the year if they are out of it.

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:IF that's true. That's worse than if they had started Kirk and brought Griff along more slowly...

Also, IF true it shows that the coaches truly think that RGIII is the weak link on the offense right now. And honestly, he appears to be.

100% disagree with you CLL; Our receivers and the middle of the Oline in the weak links on our offense. It seemed everytime RG3 dropped back to pass yesterday the whole interior of the line was getting pushed back so he couldn't step up and throw. Griff's only interception wasn't his fault; I couldn't tell at the game whether it was Robinson or Morgan but they both had a bad game. Robert doesn't look like he did last year but he's not playing like crap either and is definitely not the weakest link on the offense.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Where did the bootleg go?

That is actually the staple of this offense ... a zone blocked run and a bootleg coming off of it when the other team keys on Morris.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:34 pm

TimSkin wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:IF that's true. That's worse than if they had started Kirk and brought Griff along more slowly...

Also, IF true it shows that the coaches truly think that RGIII is the weak link on the offense right now. And honestly, he appears to be.

100% disagree with you CLL; Our receivers and the middle of the Oline in the weak links on our offense. It seemed everytime RG3 dropped back to pass yesterday the whole interior of the line was getting pushed back so he couldn't step up and throw. Griff's only interception wasn't his fault; I couldn't tell at the game whether it was Robinson or Morgan but they both had a bad game. Robert doesn't look like he did last year but he's not playing like crap either and is definitely not the weakest link on the offense.

This...

I get trying to develop Bob's pocket skills... but this O-line is not built to pass protect. The kid is getting hit on almost every play. No way to build confidence. If he is able to run the read option, then call it more, to slow down the pass rush... otherwise, you really need to simply fold up the first half of the season.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Countertrey wrote:
TimSkin wrote:

This...

I get trying to develop Bob's pocket skills... but this O-line is not built to pass protect. The kid is getting hit on almost every play. No way to build confidence. If he is able to run the read option, then call it more, to slow down the pass rush... otherwise, you really need to simply fold up the first half of the season.

a perfect example of this was early in the game 3rd and long pinned deep in our own territory Robert takes the snap and has Montgomery's back in his face by the time he dropped back and set his feet. Pierre ran a deep comeback but slipped and fell but Robert had to throw the ball way to soon and it just would've gone over his head any ways. Yes Pierre fell down but if you at least give the kid the chance to step up and throw that could be a first down or he could at least have time to go to another option.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 pm

riggofan wrote:I mean, does anybody really believe we could have plugged Kirk Cousins in the past two games and had better results?

Yes, we quite possibly could have. But then RGIII would still have to shake off the rust when he eventually did come back. It's worth it to have some problems early on to be back on track later in the season.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Payton Manning started 2-3 last year. His stats were so-so but I remember his play was definitely off.

Tom Brady started 3-2 in 2009 and had multiple ratings below 60. His start was pretty average as well and he had 6 more months to recover

Give it time. When he heals and gets his feet right, he hits all those passes. He did last year on half a leg. He hits those passes, and he injects some confidence in everyone.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I mean, does anybody really believe we could have plugged Kirk Cousins in the past two games and had better results?

Yes, we quite possibly could have. But then RGIII would still have to shake off the rust when he eventually did come back. It's worth it to have some problems early on to be back on track later in the season.

Respectfully, I just don't understand why anyone would think that. The big knock on RGIII right now is that he isn't running, so its exposing how weak our offensive line is, especially the right tackle. (I think that's the point CLL has been making, and there is probably some truth to it.)

I like Cousins, but I doubt he is any more mobile than Robert. I guess maybe you could argue that he's less "rusty", but he's still going to have to play behind that same line.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:lol. Oh good grief. Its week 2 and we're already calling for the QB to be benched AND the coaches to be fired.

Gotta love Washington.

To be fair, I think pretty much every single team has these "knee jerkers". My timeline on facebook was blowing up yesterday with people screaming for Tyrod Taylor to come in and replace Joe Flacco. Sometimes it's best to ignore the idiots and hope they go away.

I know you're right about this. All I can say is that I can't WAIT until we get our first win, so fans can start knee jerking the other way.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football