Week 2 @ Green Bay Postgame

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby fm330 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 am

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:1. This offense will not work if RGIII doesn't run. Why? See point #2.
2. RGIII is NOT a pocket passer AT ALL. Can he makes reads and throws from the pocket? Yes. Theres more to it than that. RGIII cannot move within the pocket. He cannot buy himself time. His legs are either on or off, there's no middle ground, yet... Those skills were supposed to be groomed this offseason, but he was too busy rehabbing.

If this is true then we wasted those draft picks on RGIII. He'll never last in the league if he has to run as much as he did last year.

I understand your point about mobility and moving out of the pocket. I'm talking specifically though about designed running plays. There was a lot of griping on the radio yesterday that RGIII wasn't running.

Obviously the defense isn't to blame for the offense not putting up points, but is it really so unusual for the offense to start a game with a three and out? Or to not put up points early in the game?

Do you know how many points the Broncos put up in the first quarter yesterday? ZERO. In the meantime, their defense did their job and held the Giants to THREE.
Freaking defense Haslett has to get it together. We know RG3 is giving us his all. I expect that from our defense too. Haslett is playing checkers while the rest of the league is playing chess. Look at the strides our offense has made. Now look at how the defense looks in the same time. Four years and no progress with Haslett. My patience has been thin with Haslett. After this year I want him gone. I do hope he can get this defense better this year but seriously he has sucked for the majority of time he has been with our team. I would say fire Haslett now but I am not sure if the other assistants would be any better. Then again could it get any worse? This may seem like I am overreacting. But seriously am I? Our defense is putrid. Someone has to be accountable. We all know Haslett by now.

I totally agree man! Been saying it after he was here a year that Hasslet was a waste of time for this team. I have never been a fan and now I can't stand the guy. He is ruining this team right now! They are even getting ate up by the run which was our strength. Terrible just terrible!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:35 am

OK I am tired of complaining about Haslett. I think Haslett is watching film as we speak. Talking it over with our defensive players and making adjustments.
It cant get any worse. So we should see improvement from here on out. We have talent on the defensive side so I have faith they will improve.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am

:shock: C'MON MAN ....

the season is 16 games and while the first 2 games have been BAAAAD - there is no way that we should be over reacting by getting rid of players and coaches

everyone needs to chill out and let these guys show us that they know what they're doing - the players and coaches can do much better than they have

give 'em a break and support them ... don't put them down after just a couple of games :shock:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:43 am

Yes you are right. Everythings gonna be alright. :D

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah I'm bummed about the defense, but I'm not personally a "fire the coordinator" guy.

I do agree though that this is two years in a row our defense has started off the season a mess. No doubt Haslett has faced some big issues with either injuries or the cap penalties. But our D has been atrocious, and it seems like a lot of knowledgeable football people are pointing at the fundamental stuff. Like tackling.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:48 pm

riggofan wrote:Yeah I'm bummed about the defense, but I'm not personally a "fire the coordinator" guy.

I do agree though that this is two years in a row our defense has started off the season a mess. No doubt Haslett has faced some big issues with either injuries or the cap penalties. But our D has been atrocious, and it seems like a lot of knowledgeable football people are pointing at the fundamental stuff. Like tackling.

I agree that we can't even consider firing Haslett during the season, but he has to go after this season even if the defense makes a good improvement. Here is the def rankings the past three yaers under Has:

year pts yds
2012 22 28
2011 21 13
2010 21 31

the three years prior to Has:

year pts yds
2009 18 10
2008 06 04
2007 11 08

Yes, Haslett's Ds have generated more turnovers, but he plays a risk reward scheme with no clue as to when to play it safe (caugh, Dallas 3-19, caugh). He is a riverboat gambler that bluffs when he should fold and goes all in when he should stand pat.

I sent a text to my brother that said what Has needs to do is take a series and decide what he thinks they should do and then do the opposite, then the next series he should do what he thinks is right, and then the next series he should put the defensive plays on a dart board and throw darts to select the play. In other words his instincts suck. I'm not saying he has bad plays, he just has no clue when to call them.

There is a reason he was out of the NFL when Shanny came knocking.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't believe I know more than Haslett...and neither should any of the folks on this board!! While we're sleeping, eating, working, posting on this board, Haslett is studying the film! I don't think he's the problem.

Our DBs are not that good. We're seeing the impact of the $36 mil hit right now. A lot of skins fans over value our players AND 4th round draft picks. There's a reason why Rambo wasn't picked early in the draft. Amerson had coverage issues in college, that's why he was a 2nd rounder (maybe we reached for him).

Not to say they both can't come on be good players, but can anyone on this board HONESTLY say -- they thought these two rookies would come out and play like pro bowl players? Come on...be honest.

Aaron Rogers is a stud...he looked over and saw a rookie CB, unfortunately, he looked deep and saw a rookie FS. Then he looked nearer the line of scrimmage and saw a backup SS in Reed and a 38 year old MLB. Those are the issues. Not the coacing staff. Coaches are as good as their talent. The NFL is probably the one league/sport where the talent level is NOT that different from team to team. The Raiders are 2-0 now!

If your team is ready to play and motivated, you win. I don't think our defensive guys are ready for Aaron Rogers and Michael Vick. I'm a bit worried they might not be ready for Stafford either!

Let's hope our offensive can move the ball and keep it away from Stafford, Bush and Johnson.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Am I the only one shocked that there hasn't been an overload of "mock drafts" for us next year? lol

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 pm

fredp45 wrote:I don't believe I know more than Haslett...and neither should any of the folks on this board!! While we're sleeping, eating, working, posting on this board, Haslett is studying the film! I don't think he's the problem.

Our DBs are not that good. We're seeing the impact of the $36 mil hit right now. A lot of skins fans over value our players AND 4th round draft picks. There's a reason why Rambo wasn't picked early in the draft. Amerson had coverage issues in college, that's why he was a 2nd rounder (maybe we reached for him).

Not to say they both can't come on be good players, but can anyone on this board HONESTLY say -- they thought these two rookies would come out and play like pro bowl players? Come on...be honest.

Aaron Rogers is a stud...he looked over and saw a rookie CB, unfortunately, he looked deep and saw a rookie FS. Then he looked nearer the line of scrimmage and saw a backup SS in Reed and a 38 year old MLB. Those are the issues. Not the coacing staff. Coaches are as good as their talent. The NFL is probably the one league/sport where the talent level is NOT that different from team to team. The Raiders are 2-0 now!

If your team is ready to play and motivated, you win. I don't think our defensive guys are ready for Aaron Rogers and Michael Vick. I'm a bit worried they might not be ready for Stafford either!

Let's hope our offensive can move the ball and keep it away from Stafford, Bush and Johnson.

You make some good points. I dont doubt Hasletts will or work ethic or his heart I know he means well. Just as a tactician some times I disagree. But moving on. The good thing after bad games is that players and coaches are forced to go back to the drawing board. There is some good that can come from this. Also RG3 did get some valuable experience.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 pm

... Raiders are 1-1.. but great points! :twisted:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 am

riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:lol. Oh good grief. Its week 2 and we're already calling for the QB to be benched AND the coaches to be fired.

Gotta love Washington.

To be fair, I think pretty much every single team has these "knee jerkers". My timeline on facebook was blowing up yesterday with people screaming for Tyrod Taylor to come in and replace Joe Flacco. Sometimes it's best to ignore the idiots and hope they go away.

I know you're right about this. All I can say is that I can't WAIT until we get our first win, so fans can start knee jerking the other way.

They'll be calling for the Queen of England to knight RGIII after our first win. It's ridiculous.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:lol. Oh good grief. Its week 2 and we're already calling for the QB to be benched AND the coaches to be fired.

Gotta love Washington.

To be fair, I think pretty much every single team has these "knee jerkers". My timeline on facebook was blowing up yesterday with people screaming for Tyrod Taylor to come in and replace Joe Flacco. Sometimes it's best to ignore the idiots and hope they go away.

I know you're right about this. All I can say is that I can't WAIT until we get our first win, so fans can start knee jerking the other way.

They'll be calling for the Queen of England to knight RGIII after our first win. It's ridiculous.

LMFAO. Its funny because its TRUE.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:10 am

fredp45 wrote:I don't believe I know more than Haslett...and neither should any of the folks on this board!! While we're sleeping, eating, working, posting on this board, Haslett is studying the film! I don't think he's the problem.

I hear you, man. I definitely don't think I know more than Haslett. And anybody who doesn't think that players are the most important piece of this equation has never coached a sport before. Haslett has definitely had some legitimate obstacles to overcome - injuries, cap penalties.

Still, coaching does matter. There are some coaches in the league who just ALWAYS have good defenses. I'm sure you can name some of them. Marvin Lewis, maybe Wade Phillips, Dick LeBeau. Those guys.

If Haz can at least get this group to be a mediocre defense this year, I'll consider it something of a success. If not, I'd hope they're looking for somebody new in January.

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Our O obviously has problems, but NO team is going to get many wins when their D keeps giving up 30 points in the 1st half alone...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:25 pm

grampi wrote:Our O obviously has problems, but NO team is going to get many wins when their D keeps giving up 30 points in the 1st half alone...

Grampi, I agree with you 1000%.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football