Merriweather

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Brandon was fined $42,000 by the NFL - the thing is, we cannot afford to have players that can 'play' like Brandon, on the sidelines ...
if he continues to lead with his helmet, I hope they kick him off the team for putting his playing time at risk - he obviously is not capable of learning from his mistakes
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm

I saw that he was fined. Has there been any news about his own concussion though? Is he allowed to play this weekend?

piggie

Postby jr_uscg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I hope he is back on the field this weekend. Brandon is not Afraid to hit someone. Just needs to see what he is hitting. I can't take another game with Reed D. Reed always finds away to make the team. Mostly because of others misfortunes.
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 pm

jr_uscg wrote:I hope he is back on the field this weekend. Brandon is not Afraid to hit someone. Just needs to see what he is hitting. I can't take another game with Reed D. Reed always finds away to make the team. Mostly because of others misfortunes.

It's funny the hit that Merriweather went out after was as much delivered by the RB as Brandon. There wouldn't have been any helmet to helmet if Srarks hadn't dipped his head and initiated the contact.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm

^ The fine may have been for the hit on Lacy... The second one may have been viewed as a bang-bang play by the league...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm

riggofan wrote:I saw that he was fined. Has there been any news about his own concussion though? Is he allowed to play this weekend?

He was back on the practice field today, so that means he's cleared to play.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 am

Countertrey wrote:^ The fine may have been for the hit on Lacy... The second one may have been viewed as a bang-bang play by the league...

Yes, the league viewed the second hit a bang-bang type play and he wasn't punished for it. The $42k fine was fit the first hit on Lacy.

Not that it really makes any difference.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:I saw that he was fined. Has there been any news about his own concussion though? Is he allowed to play this weekend?

He was back on the practice field today, so that means he's cleared to play.

Cool. Not sure I put as much faith in Merriweather as some, but I'm pretty sure we're better with him on the field than not.

I agree with the comments about Starks. I'd go one further and say it kind of looked to me like the RB was paying Merriweather back a little bit for the hit on Lacy.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 am

IMHO NFL Football has become too much of a baby league. Tackle Football is a violent sport. The NFL should have all players that want to play that are drafted sign a health waiver form. There will be concussions, there will be injury's. GET OVER IT! Now I don't think spearing should be legal or direct shots at the head so to speak, but the about of rules and how hard hits are now frowned upon is sickening. I suppose had Sean Taylor still been playing he would be a dirty player too right? I wonder how many suspensions and fines he would have gotten. With that said I like Merriweather and hope he still clocks the opposite team's players as he can!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:02 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:^ The fine may have been for the hit on Lacy... The second one may have been viewed as a bang-bang play by the league...

Yes, the league viewed the second hit a bang-bang type play and he wasn't punished for it. The $42k fine was fit the first hit on Lacy.

Not that it really makes any difference.
correct in a big picture kind of way... except that you were wondering why Starks wasn't fined. My response was to that.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Players who would have a VERY difficult time adjusting to today's wussified rules...

Herb Adderly
Lem Barney
Sammy Baugh
Chuck Bednarik
Mel Blount
Nic Buoniconti
Dick Butkis
Earl Campbell
Larry Csonka
Richard Dent
Dan Dierdorf
Mike Ditka
Chris Doleman
Art Donovan
Turk Edwards
Russ Grimm
Jack Hamm
Dan Hampton
Chris Hanburger
John Hanna
Mike Haynes
Ted Hendricks
Ken Houston
Sam Huff
Deacon Jones
Paul Krause
Jack Lambert
Dick "Night Train" Lane
Ronnie Lott
Gino Marchetti
Ray Nitchke
Mel Renfro
John Riggins
Gene Upshaw
Roger Werhli
Willie Wood

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:IMHO NFL Football has become too much of a baby league. Tackle Football is a violent sport. The NFL should have all players that want to play that are drafted sign a health waiver form. There will be concussions, there will be injury's. GET OVER IT! Now I don't think spearing should be legal or direct shots at the head so to speak, but the about of rules and how hard hits are now frowned upon is sickening. I suppose had Sean Taylor still been playing he would be a dirty player too right? I wonder how many suspensions and fines he would have gotten. With that said I like Merriweather and hope he still clocks the opposite team's players as he can!!

You forgot to add "there will be debilitating, crippling injuries and long term brain damage".

Seriously, I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying. You can only take out so much of the violence of the game. But trying to get players to actually tackle instead of launching themselves like missiles is probably worth it if it saves some of these guys from dementia or ALS at the age of 40.

If you haven't seen the Real Sports piece on former New Orleans Saint, Steve Gleason, its well worth watching.

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bry ... eason.html

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:I've resigned myself to thinking that Merriweather will never see sustained playing time as a Redskin. I can't imagine who else we could bring in, so like last year we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear this defense while Rambo learns the ropes. With Thomas returning and another offseason, we'll finally be able to drag our defensive backfield back toward average.

6: Haslett has done a lousy job of covering the weaknesses of his players... that may be largely due to circumstance, but, come on... doesn't that dictate being a bit less aggressive than we have been????

The unfortunete thing is that our CBs currently have more sacks on the season than our DL......

Since we can't get traditional pressure on the QB, we have to use our LBs. Our defensive ineffectiveness is compounded by the fact our DBs can't cover. We have solid LBs, but they can't make up for a bad DL AND DBs.

So --- A no-pressure DL + DBs that can't cover = horrible and easily manipulated defense

While I'm not high on Hasslett, any NFL calibur O coordinator can pick a defense apart with the holes we have. Being aggressive is the ONLY option. The only chance this D has in being halfway effective is rushing Kerrigan and Orakpo in order to get some pressure on the QB. If they get to the QB, you have a 2nd or 3rd and long situation that is a bit more managable. If a less aggressive approach is taken, their QB will have TONS of time --- and with our secondary, it's only a matter of 5-8 seconds before a WR or TE breaks free from one of our DBs........

Besides, how can you cover the weaknesses of a team with a horrible DL AND secondary???
- Rush more LBs? (we've done that and failed)
- Bring pressure from the DBs? (done that and failed)
- Put in additional DBs to increase secondary help (who?, what DB would you rather have out there than one of Orakpo, RK, LF, or Riley)
- Create more blind seondary packages (with rookie DBs, this is difficult)

I think it's easily said, but when you think about it, we don't have the personnel or depth to cover up weaknesses --- when the weaknesses are in 2 or the 3 defensive areas........
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 pm

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:IMHO NFL Football has become too much of a baby league. Tackle Football is a violent sport. The NFL should have all players that want to play that are drafted sign a health waiver form. There will be concussions, there will be injury's. GET OVER IT! Now I don't think spearing should be legal or direct shots at the head so to speak, but the about of rules and how hard hits are now frowned upon is sickening. I suppose had Sean Taylor still been playing he would be a dirty player too right? I wonder how many suspensions and fines he would have gotten. With that said I like Merriweather and hope he still clocks the opposite team's players as he can!!

You forgot to add "there will be debilitating, crippling injuries and long term brain damage".

Seriously, I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying. You can only take out so much of the violence of the game. But trying to get players to actually tackle instead of launching themselves like missiles is probably worth it if it saves some of these guys from dementia or ALS at the age of 40.

If you haven't seen the Real Sports piece on former New Orleans Saint, Steve Gleason, its well worth watching.

there is no guarentee there would be injury and even if there was the millions they make should be enough compensation. Heck we have 18 year olds going to war getting killed and what do they get? a flag and 10,000 dollars. Why can't the millions earned in most cases be enough to compensate. It's TACKLE FOOTBALL not Flag, not 2 hand touch, if your going to catch a pass over the middle, you have to pay that toll. If not then you might as well allow woman to play on the teams too....IMHO!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:23 pm

riggofan wrote:

Seriously, I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying. You can only take out so much of the violence of the game. But trying to get players to actually tackle instead of launching themselves like missiles is probably worth it if it saves some of these guys from dementia or ALS at the age of 40. If you haven't seen the Real Sports piece on former New Orleans Saint, Steve Gleason, its well worth watching.

There is a solution. This stuff started when the league banned bump and run coverage, where the db initiated contact early, and maintained it for as long as possible... the result was that the db was usually too close the the receiver to launch. Legalize bump and run... the kind perfected by Pat Fischer and Roger Werhli... you'll see this more violent contact go way down. You'll also see defense become an actual part of the game again... and Receivers will have to actually earn their living, like Charlie Taylor, Charlie Joiner, and others did.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football