Trade Fred for a Safety

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Trade Fred for a Safety

Postby gregory smith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Tight end is one of, if not the only position we have enough depth to actually be able to consider trading a quality player. I know he will be a free agent next year but maybe something could be worked out so that we could trade him now. Trade him for a safety or a pick then use the money for Kenny Phillips or Winfield?? We will lose him next year anyway. If he has a good year he will want to be paid, we have his replacement on the roster, so we won't pay him. Blown assignments? Trade him, we need the mentality of a professional football team, I think we have made real progress in that regard but Fred may not be fully onboard with the concept. If there is any way we could get value for him I would jump on it. Could you get a 4th round pick? Show him the door.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Brilliant...

So, who is going to trade a quality safety for an underperforming TE coming off a major injury?

Is that crickets?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Who said anything about a "quality" safety?

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Countertrey wrote:Brilliant...

So, who is going to trade a quality safety for an underperforming TE coming off a major injury?

He has potential! :D

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm

gregory smith wrote:Who said anything about a "quality" safety?

gregory smith wrote:Trade him for a safety or a pick then use the money for Kenny Phillips or Winfield

So your plan was to either trade Fred for a bum (presumably we already have one or more of those on the team, so the more the merrier?) safety or you believe Kenny Phillips to be a bum? Hell, I don't know what team wouldn't be willing to sign up for trading Tim Tebow strong safety to us for Fred Davis, straight up. Let's do THIS!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Forget about it. It was merely for discussion. Fred will be gone next year, we will get nothing in return. Nothing. As far as a "bum". Neither Phillips or Fred are bums, they are both players with talent and baggage. The fact that we have a solid group of tight ends made me wonder if we could possibly take advantage and upgrade. Hey, I just threw a thought out there amongst redskin fans.

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Forget about it. It was merely for discussion. Fred will be gone next year, we will get nothing in return. Nothing. As far as a "bum". Neither Phillips or Fred are bums, they are both players with talent and baggage. The fact that we have a solid group of tight ends made me wonder if we could possibly take advantage and upgrade. Hey, I just threw a thought out there amongst redskin fans.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

gregory smith wrote:Forget about it. It was merely for discussion. Fred will be gone next year, we will get nothing in return. Nothing. As far as a "bum". Neither Phillips or Fred are bums, they are both players with talent and baggage. The fact that we have a solid group of tight ends made me wonder if we could possibly take advantage and upgrade. Hey, I just threw a thought out there amongst redskin fans.

Far as I saw, PHillips is still a free agent without a home. I have to think that if the team thought he was an upgrade over what we do have/worth not getting our rookie more playing time, they'd have made the move. Though, it stands to reason that the cap theft might prevent that.

I don't think Fred walks at the end of this coming year. I think we resign him, but I won't really have a good feeling for that until this offense gets untracked and we see what the man can really do. Right now, every offensive players' play is offensive and incomplete.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

gregory smith wrote:Forget about it. It was merely for discussion. Fred will be gone next year, we will get nothing in return. Nothing. As far as a "bum". Neither Phillips or Fred are bums, they are both players with talent and baggage. The fact that we have a solid group of tight ends made me wonder if we could possibly take advantage and upgrade. Hey, I just threw a thought out there amongst redskin fans.
If Fred doesn't pick it up, he will sign with the Redskins for a pitance, because he won't warrant more... he has yet to play a single quality down, and is being shown the ropes by a rookie...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:37 pm

It could happen. It is early but no team is going to offer much compensation because he's in the last year of his contract unless there is structure of a contract in place. If there is a reasonable contract in place then the compensation would be better for the Skins. Davis and RG3 have never connected for some reason. Davis is a talented player but for some reason he just isn't getting it with this team. I wish him the best of luck whatever ends up happening with him but either way it would need to make sense for the Skins to get rid of him and get some value. If there are more injuries to other teams then the market may heat up. Indy lost a TE today but also traded a #1 for T Richardson so unless they plan on giving up the farm, he won't end up in Indy.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey man,

I see your logic, and with Reed playing so well, I'm once again wondering what we could get for Fred. Once he starts performing better you'll see me posting about why we should keep him LOL

Anyway, I don't think we would get much for him. I'd rather us get a decent draft pick for him, but like Trey said, he's under performing and coming off an injury; he's a little to "risky" to offer quality in exchange for.

Good thread btw.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:49 am

Maybe the Browns or the Colts?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby rcjur » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Skins should trade Davis now for a Safety like Taylor Mays of Cincinatti who isn't starting. Then add back Jackson and cut Doughty and Pugh. Upgrade damn it!! Take the risk. The young TE rookie and Paulsen is good for this season. Skins can add depth next season.

Skins should also think about adding suspended player LB Dunbar formerly of the Rams and maybe Cribbs to rest of season contract and cut Chris Thompson. He isn't ready for the NFL.

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Byrd

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:11 am

gregory smith wrote:Byrd

Bryd is still due to make another $4.8M in base salary for 2013...., considering Fred only has about $705K due over the remainder of this season, this trade would add more than $4M to the teams cap..... that's about $1.6M more than what the Skins have in cap space.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to General Manager's Office