How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Postby OldSchool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I question Griffin's readiness to play physically, mentally and his ability to deal with those issues while trying to upgrade his pocket passing skills. His performances in the two games were similar, he was utterly inactive until garbage time. Feel good Griffin completions against sated defenses playing out the game in prevent seemed useful in game 1 but after a nearly identical hapless 3 quarters in the second game I've seen enough, it's time to sit him down to mend and work on his mechanics and other issues.

The Skins blew their chance to defeat the Seahawks by keeping the Griffin in the game when he was hurt and ineffective. Instead of putting Griffin on the bench the Skins lost the game and Griffin magnified his injury. After watching him in two games the Skins need to show they learned from their playoff debacle. He isn't getting it done and the problem obviously more than rust and he is already talking about running more and carrying the team, a recipe for another disaster.

Aside from Griffin's well being the season is just 2 games old and the Skins need to put Cousins on the field and see if he can keep them in the playoff race. Griffin doesn't have his great speed and mobility now and is currently ineffective without it, he could help his team and himself by taking a seat.

How many games do the rest of you think the Skins should give Griffin before making a change?

Postby GBpack10 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 pm

You did the same thing I did. Start 3 topics lol. Something wrong with the submit button lol.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 pm

I have no idea what the cheesehead is talking about... :^o
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby GBpack10 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Countertrey wrote:I have no idea what the cheesehead is talking about... :^o

I went to start that topic I just started and 3 topics were all of a sudden on the board.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm

This thread is dumb.

I wonder how bad all the cry baby sheli fans are complaining in NY....
I THOUGHT HE WAS ELITE NOW? LOLOL
His stats are crap compared to rgiii.. the sky isnot falling folks, nothing to see here.

Smmfh
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

JSPB22

Re: How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

OldSchool wrote:His performances in the two games were similar

No, they weren't. Against the Smeagols, he came out rusty. His footwork was all off, and didn't get better until the third quarter. He showed obvious signs of not having played in a game for eight months. Against the Packers, it was a completely different story. The issue wasn't his mechanics at all. I didn't feel like that was on RGIII, but more of a team effort.

OldSchool wrote:How many games do the rest of you think the Skins should give Griffin before making a change?

Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm

RG3 actually showed a lot of improvement. The issue is that by the end of the first QTR we are only able to run the 2 min offense because we are so far behind. I'm not putting blame on the defense or the offense. I'm putting blame on both the defense AND offense. RG3 is playing his 3rd preseason game so hopefully we will see the biggest growth in his game. Thankfully the bye week couldn't' come at a better time for us. RG3 plays and continues to play because he needs the snaps to gain confidence in his knee. With knee surgeries, getting back int he game is mostly mention. There's a lack of trust and a bit of fear that you could get hurt again but once you get hit or do something great the fear seeps away and we should see RG3 of old.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

frankcal20 wrote:RG3 actually showed a lot of improvement. The issue is that by the end of the first QTR we are only able to run the 2 min offense because we are so far behind. I'm not putting blame on the defense or the offense. I'm putting blame on both the defense AND offense. RG3 is playing his 3rd preseason game so hopefully we will see the biggest growth in his game. Thankfully the bye week couldn't' come at a better time for us. RG3 plays and continues to play because he needs the snaps to gain confidence in his knee. With knee surgeries, getting back int he game is mostly mention. There's a lack of trust and a bit of fear that you could get hurt again but once you get hit or do something great the fear seeps away and we should see RG3 of old.

Wow, thanks for.the breath of fresh air... Logical posts seem.to only come from.a select few these days. :lol:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Sorry I don't post as often as I used to. Career going well and two kids under 4 yrs old will keep you busy.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am

frankcal20 wrote:RG3 actually showed a lot of improvement. The issue is that by the end of the first QTR we are only able to run the 2 min offense because we are so far behind. I'm not putting blame on the defense or the offense. I'm putting blame on both the defense AND offense. RG3 is playing his 3rd preseason game so hopefully we will see the biggest growth in his game. Thankfully the bye week couldn't' come at a better time for us. RG3 plays and continues to play because he needs the snaps to gain confidence in his knee. With knee surgeries, getting back int he game is mostly mention. There's a lack of trust and a bit of fear that you could get hurt again but once you get hit or do something great the fear seeps away and we should see RG3 of old.

I ususally agree with you (I agree with 99% of this post), but I cannot stand when people say "this is his 3rd preseason game", because it's not. This is the regular season now. If we go 0-4 into the bye week are we all going to be content and say "well at least he got his preseason out of the way, now on to his regular season"?

Hindsight is 20/20, so it's too late to second guess the decision to start Griffin over Cousins in week 1. And there is no way that Griffin will ever get benched for Cousins. Never going to happen.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 am

I know the rust and 3 and outs have been aggravating, but our offense really isn't the problem, and RGIII specifically isn't a problem, either. They will find their groove. Our defense needs to step it up big time. There's where the real concern is.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I know the rust and 3 and outs have been aggravating, but our offense really isn't the problem, and RGIII specifically isn't a problem, either. They will find their groove. Our defense needs to step it up big time. There's where the real concern is.

Our defense was never top caliber to begin with. Last year our O carried the defense. The only way we will be able to win games (especially against high scoring opposing offenses) is to outscore the other teams. We've got to increase our TOP dramatically too.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 am

Seriously? This is our franchise QB that we traded three first round picks for. We're going to bench him because we've started 0-2.

Give me a freaking break.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am

If you ask me, I don't think he should have been allowed to play until after the bye week. I think him coming back was nothing more than a ploy to get fans excited. If we are going to run the same offense that we run with Rex or Kirk, than start Kirk, if you want to run the read option use Pat White, it's evident IMHO that RGIII isn't able to do what he did last year and I don't think we have the time to lose games waiting for him to heal......

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:23 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:If you ask me, I don't think he should have been allowed to play until after the bye week. I think him coming back was nothing more than a ploy to get fans excited. If we are going to run the same offense that we run with Rex or Kirk, than start Kirk, if you want to run the read option use Pat White, it's evident IMHO that RGIII isn't able to do what he did last year and I don't think we have the time to lose games waiting for him to heal......

Its a fair point. There was a lot of discussion about this before the season though I would say it was 80-20 in favor or RGIII starting.

I don't really know what was behind the rush to get him back for week 1. It did seem a little unthinkable to me coming off that injury that he would be able to start. Was it really the team trying to generate hype? Do the Redskins really ever need to generate hype before the first week of the season? hah. Was the pressure from the RGIII camp?

All that said, I personally think they need to stick with RGIII. Maybe a different story if we had a defense playing well and losing games 17-3 or something. I'm just not buying that Kirk Cousins was going to be the difference maker against the Packers last weekend.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football