RG3 can't be the same player with a knee brace

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Griffin said today that the brace has no effect on his speed or mechanics.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Griffin said today that the brace has no effect on his speed or mechanics.

:shock: how would he know? ... and ... don't you think that Garcon can tell better by what he sees on the field and at practice? :twisted:

RG3 will be fine and he's stated before the season that he's wearing the brace for the rest of this season ... it is not a factor ...
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

DarthMonk wrote:^^ I agree completely.

Could've treated the first four games much like a preseason.

I agree ... but I'm glad that Mike did NOT - Mike knows a WHOLE lot more about which QB gives him the best chance at winning the game and he's NOT letting RG3 play if he thinks that Cousins gives him a better chance at success - NO WAY

I just think that we all need to have a little patience - I have a huge amount of faith in RG3 and I know that he will find a way to make this team better offensively ...

now ... we also need some help from the defensive side as well :lol:

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:39 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I agree ... but I'm glad that Mike did NOT - Mike knows a WHOLE lot more about which QB gives him the best chance at winning the game and he's NOT letting RG3 play if he thinks that Cousins gives him a better chance at success - NO WAY

I just think that we all need to have a little patience - I have a huge amount of faith in RG3 and I know that he will find a way to make this team better offensively ...

Based on his hiring someonen that failed in New Orleans and then St. Louis I don't think Mike knows as much about Football as you give him credit for. Since Elway left Denver what has he done? Last year us winning may have just been a fluke, remember even a broken clock is right twice a day........ :lol:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:58 pm

grampi wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:This makes sense to me. RGIII won't admit it, but he is not planting and throwing or running like he did before. I'd guess that physically everything is 100% or very close to it, but it's just a matter of building back the muscle memory and confidence that he lost in it over the past year — and he won't make much progress in that area until the brace is gone.

I just wonder how much of it is physical, and how much is mental...he may be physically 100%, but still afraid to go full bore in fear of reinjury...

Exactly.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Re: Your thoughts on who is really to blame regarding the kn

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:05 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think Shanahan and company did anything to cause RGIII's knee injury, I think this was more about RGIII's arrogance to prove to himself that he could run with the big dogs in the NFL and take a hit last year. I think all this knee injury conversation would be a moot point had RGIII ran out of bounds on the play where he got hurt, Ngata should have never been able to hit him had he ran out of bounds. When that Atlanta player rung RGIII's bell that should have been the hit that smartened up RGIII and that light switch should have been turned on. I love the passion in which RGIII plays with but I also think it was and is his immaturity and arrogance that has totally changed RGIII's ability to be a two way threat. Honestly I don't think he is good enough to go from a scrambling QB to a pocket Andrew Luck read the defense type of QB. At this point if we can't use RGIII to do what we drafted him for, to be a two way threat, then it's time to cut bait so to speak and go with Cousins, cause at this point, I think even Cousins is more mobile than RGIII with his gimp knee. And all that crap about racing Pierre Garcon to prove he is still fast is crap, I could probably beat him in a race!!

I mostly agree but add this. The Atlanta hit should have wisened him up and he took too many chances after that but ... the Raven play was one of the few times all year he needed to take a chance and be daring given the situation ... 2nd and 19 at our 27, 1:56 to go, down 8 points in a must win playoff push game in December.

The time to go with Cousins was opening night. The only decent argument I've seen against that is from the Deadman saying better to knock off rust now than later. That might be right but it might not.

I think we would have played with more urgency as a team with Cousins these first 4 games (pre-bye). We'd have had a hold-the-fort mentality as opposed to the sigh and relaxation/complacency that seemingly came with Griff's return.

My 2 cents

Agreed however he could get snaps during games to knock off rust. Maybe people don't like that but to get the offense to continue to work as it's had been all preseason you keep Kirk in, then to knock off rust you allow RGIII a certain number of reps in a live game, increasing until he is full strength. Or that is what I would have done anyway.

This assumes that we have a lead big enough to allow RGIII to come in for mop-up work. So far, I don't see that happening.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:15 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Based on his hiring someonen that failed in New Orleans and then St. Louis I don't think Mike knows as much about Football as you give him credit for. Since Elway left Denver what has he done?
Last year us winning may have just been a fluke, remember even a broken clock is right twice a day

I am not a Mike Shanahan fan ... but ... what he's done here with Bruce AND as the HC, is incredibly good - I would argue that there is nobody in the NFL today that could have turned this franchise around as he has done

If Mike thinks that playing RG3 is the best for this franchise, then, that's MOST LIKELY the right decision :lol:

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:28 am

SkinsJock wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Based on his hiring someonen that failed in New Orleans and then St. Louis I don't think Mike knows as much about Football as you give him credit for. Since Elway left Denver what has he done?
Last year us winning may have just been a fluke, remember even a broken clock is right twice a day

I am not a Mike Shanahan fan ... but ... what he's done here with Bruce AND as the HC, is incredibly good - I would argue that there is nobody in the NFL today that could have turned this franchise around as he has done

If Mike thinks that playing RG3 is the best for this franchise, then, that's MOST LIKELY the right decision :lol:

Skinsjock, I don't know I wonder what Bill Cowher would have done here, I wonder what another Defensive Coordinator would have done here. Isn't this year 5 of Shanahan and our defense is on pace to set some seriously embarrassing numbers. I can understand our secondary being a weak point, but what I can't understand is how you don't provide help to these rookies. You actually expect Amerson to cover Jordy Nelson with the lack of rush we seem to not be able to maintain? You have Rambo left on an island and now all of a sudden he can't tackle and takes these terrible angles? Then to top it all off you have grown men that have played football for years and now they don't know how to tackle? They have all of a sudden forgot fundamentals? That's been Haslett's key word for 3 plus years. I mean the first year it was us switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 then it was they have to get used to new assignments and techniques to players aren't using fundamentals. Seems to me it gets to a point where it's like a broken record. Lastly I think they are giving RGIII way too much rope, he needed to be held from so many press conferences, he needed to be sat until after the bye week and I think his knee is no where close to where he says it is. I also think that many people don't understand that he had surgery on BOTH his knee's, the one with the actual injury and then they opened the other one to TAKE A LIGAMENT!! so that's double knee surgery and you are going to tell me in 8 months your 100% and let's not even talk about this being his second torn ACL in the same knee. Sorry this house of cards seems to be about to be blown apart. I think Bruce Allen is doing the best he can and has done a good job, but I just think that perhaps for Mike the game as passed him by and Jim Haslett should have NEVER BEEN HIRED HERE..... :(

DarthMonk

Re: Your thoughts on who is really to blame regarding the kn

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 am

Deadskins wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:As much as it pains me to say this, I don't think Shanahan and company did anything to cause RGIII's knee injury, I think this was more about RGIII's arrogance to prove to himself that he could run with the big dogs in the NFL and take a hit last year. I think all this knee injury conversation would be a moot point had RGIII ran out of bounds on the play where he got hurt, Ngata should have never been able to hit him had he ran out of bounds. When that Atlanta player rung RGIII's bell that should have been the hit that smartened up RGIII and that light switch should have been turned on. I love the passion in which RGIII plays with but I also think it was and is his immaturity and arrogance that has totally changed RGIII's ability to be a two way threat. Honestly I don't think he is good enough to go from a scrambling QB to a pocket Andrew Luck read the defense type of QB. At this point if we can't use RGIII to do what we drafted him for, to be a two way threat, then it's time to cut bait so to speak and go with Cousins, cause at this point, I think even Cousins is more mobile than RGIII with his gimp knee. And all that crap about racing Pierre Garcon to prove he is still fast is crap, I could probably beat him in a race!!

I mostly agree but add this. The Atlanta hit should have wisened him up and he took too many chances after that but ... the Raven play was one of the few times all year he needed to take a chance and be daring given the situation ... 2nd and 19 at our 27, 1:56 to go, down 8 points in a must win playoff push game in December.

The time to go with Cousins was opening night. The only decent argument I've seen against that is from the Deadman saying better to knock off rust now than later. That might be right but it might not.

I think we would have played with more urgency as a team with Cousins these first 4 games (pre-bye). We'd have had a hold-the-fort mentality as opposed to the sigh and relaxation/complacency that seemingly came with Griff's return.

My 2 cents

Agreed however he could get snaps during games to knock off rust. Maybe people don't like that but to get the offense to continue to work as it's had been all preseason you keep Kirk in, then to knock off rust you allow RGIII a certain number of reps in a live game, increasing until he is full strength. Or that is what I would have done anyway.

This assumes that we have a lead big enough to allow RGIII to come in for mop-up work. So far, I don't see that happening.

Or the other way around. For example: Play Griff 2 series then sit him. Play Griff a quarter then sit him. Play Griff a half then sit him. Play Griff 3 quarters then sit him. Have a bye. Start Griff for a full game against the Cowboys.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 am

^^ - I think you'll find that a lot of what you posted is incorrect ...

we don't know what Cowher might have done or if he could have 'persuaded' Snyder to step aside ... Marty was a pretty 'strong' guy and he could not ...

Mike and Bruce set about changing just about everything here and then got screwed last year (and this) by Goodell and Mara

this franchise is the defending NFC East champions - last year we started 3-6 ... things don't look great but the season has 14 games left and we have a HC & GM in place that are the best suited for this job ...

If Mike thought that Haslett was not the best to run the defense the way Mike wants it done, he would not be doing the job ...

you might be right about Mike and our team - I'm going to let the season play out a bunch more before I get too concerned ...

knee jerk reactions & bad FOs are the reason why certain franchises are historically not very successful ... like the eagles, raiders, jaguars and browns

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 am

SkinsJock wrote:I am not a Mike Shanahan fan ... but ... what he's done here with Bruce AND as the HC, is incredibly good - I would argue that there is nobody in the NFL today that could have turned this franchise around as he has done

This is year 4 in his 5 year plan, and in those 4 years he has a losing record. Our defense has been putrid since the switch (and Haslett), and Shanahan has made some questionable decisions (riding out a season with Grossman and Beck, not taking Griffin out of the Seahawks game). This is a far cry from turning the franchise around.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:01 am

SkinsJock wrote:^^ - I think you'll find that a lot of what you posted is incorrect ...

we don't know what Cowher might have done or if he could have 'persuaded' Snyder to step aside ... Marty was a pretty 'strong' guy and he could not ...

Mike and Bruce set about changing just about everything here and then got screwed last year (and this) by Goodell and Mara

this franchise is the defending NFC East champions - last year we started 3-6 ... things don't look great but the season has 14 games left and we have a HC & GM in place that are the best suited for this job ...

If Mike thought that Haslett was not the best to run the defense the way Mike wants it done, he would not be doing the job ...

you might be right about Mike and our team - I'm going to let the season play out a bunch more before I get too concerned ...

knee jerk reactions & bad FOs are the reason why certain franchises are historically not very successful ... like the eagles, raiders, jaguars and browns

Skinsjock I agree with your thoughts, however the one thing that rings loud is how you said "If Mike thought that Haslett was not the best to run the defense the way Mike wants it done, he would not be doing the job ..." That is exactly my strongest point of concern and hiring and running the defense the way he wants it done. To me that has always been Mike's downfall, his team have ALWAYS had bad defenses with the exception of the one year he had that Orange Crush Defense that we destroyed in the Super Bowl. I think Mike is the LAST PERSON to even want to have any input on how to run or what it takes to run a defense. His whole tenure is what I think is a RED FLAG on that side of the ball.....You don't agree???

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:05 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:^^ - I think you'll find that a lot of what you posted is incorrect ...

Skinsjock I agree with your thoughts, however the one thing that rings loud is how you said "If Mike thought that Haslett was not the best to run the defense the way Mike wants it done, he would not be doing the job ..." That is exactly my strongest point of concern and hiring and running the defense the way he wants it done. To me that has always been Mike's downfall, his team have ALWAYS had bad defenses with the exception of the one year he had that Orange Crush Defense that we destroyed in the Super Bowl. I think Mike is the LAST PERSON to even want to have any input on how to run or what it takes to run a defense. His whole tenure is what I think is a RED FLAG on that side of the ball.....You don't agree???

Shanhan was not a member of the Denver coaching staff (certainly not its head coach, that was Dan Reeves) when we beat them in the 87(88?) Superbowl.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:

Shanhan was not a member of the Denver coaching staff (certainly not its head coach, that was Dan Reeves) when we beat them in the 87(88?) Superbowl.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Skinsjock I agree with your thoughts, however the one thing that rings loud is how you said "If Mike thought that Haslett was not the best to run the defense the way Mike wants it done, he would not be doing the job ..." That is exactly my strongest point of concern and hiring and running the defense the way he wants it done. To me that has always been Mike's downfall, his team have ALWAYS had bad defenses with the exception of the one year he had that Orange Crush Defense that we destroyed in the Super Bowl. I think Mike is the LAST PERSON to even want to have any input on how to run or what it takes to run a defense. His whole tenure is what I think is a RED FLAG on that side of the ball.....You don't agree???

I'll repeat that I'm not a fan of Mike as HC ... however, I have to give him credit (as HC) for what he's been able to do here ...

I have some reservations about Haslett ... however ... he also gets a little 'credit' for being a part of the 7-0 run last year ... without some key players
we are not as bad defensively, as we have looked - I think the offense kicking into gear will help on that side of the ball as well

we all saw that the eagles, who looked awesome against us, are not near as good as they think they are ...
I still think they end up last in the NFC East

IMHO - we are a better team than last year and the giants and pukes have more concerns than we do :D

Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football