How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 am

riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:If you ask me, I don't think he should have been allowed to play until after the bye week. I think him coming back was nothing more than a ploy to get fans excited. If we are going to run the same offense that we run with Rex or Kirk, than start Kirk, if you want to run the read option use Pat White, it's evident IMHO that RGIII isn't able to do what he did last year and I don't think we have the time to lose games waiting for him to heal......

Its a fair point. There was a lot of discussion about this before the season though I would say it was 80-20 in favor or RGIII starting.

I don't really know what was behind the rush to get him back for week 1. It did seem a little unthinkable to me coming off that injury that he would be able to start. Was it really the team trying to generate hype? Do the Redskins really ever need to generate hype before the first week of the season? hah. Was the pressure from the RGIII camp?

All that said, I personally think they need to stick with RGIII. Maybe a different story if we had a defense playing well and losing games 17-3 or something. I'm just not buying that Kirk Cousins was going to be the difference maker against the Packers last weekend.

Well in thinking what made sense was him meaning RGIII to be able to say he came back even faster than AP, however I think that this being his second ACL issue on the same knee and Dr. Andrews needing to take ligaments out of his other knee made this an impossible feat.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:35 pm

You play RG3 until he gets injured (knock on wood), benching him isn't an option.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:You play RG3 UNLESS he gets injured (knock on wood), benching him isn't an option.

Fixed it for you... that feels much more optimistic, sparkly, and super-special all that... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:You play RG3 UNLESS he gets injured (knock on wood), benching him isn't an option.

Fixed it for you... that feels much more optimistic, sparkly, and super-special all that... :wink:

Thanks my brutha! :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:01 pm

You play him as long as his play is progressing week to week. If he is regressing or showing a lack of confidence on his knee, then you need to pull him --- for his own good.

RG3 has been a shade of what he was last year. If it has been decided that he will not run under any circumstance, then you need to change the offense. The pistol without a QB threat of taking off is ineffective.

I personally have not seen many positives in his return. He has been inconsistent throwing, restricted offensively, and not confident.

If he is truly as "healthy" as the team wants us and the media to believe, MS/KS would let RGIII play the game more instinctually -- which is when he's at his best.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:34 pm

markshark84 wrote:You play him as long as his play is progressing week to week. If he is regressing or showing a lack of confidence on his knee, then you need to pull him --- for his own good.

RG3 has been a shade of what he was last year. If it has been decided that he will not run under any circumstance, then you need to change the offense. The pistol without a QB threat of taking off is ineffective.

I personally have not seen many positives in his return. He has been inconsistent throwing, restricted offensively, and not confident.

If he is truly as "healthy" as the team wants us and the media to believe, MS/KS would let RGIII play the game more instinctually -- which is when he's at his best.
I get this... but look at it this way... there can be no doubt that Bob is improving his pocket passing skills... this is a segment of his game that will need to be groomed NO MATTER WHAT if he is to have a career that goes into his mid 30's. Once the shackles come off, and he is able to return to doing those things that we KNOW he does better than anything else, what he has learned will be added to his bag of tricks. I guarantee you, his vision has improved, just from having to pick the open receivers as the opponents lay back. The threat of Bob running free in the defensive backfield will open up the pocket passing game, as well as his game when setting up on the run.

It does suck big time right now, though...

piglet

Re: How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Postby GFlanagan3 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:40 pm

OldSchool wrote:How many games do the rest of you think the Skins should give Griffin before making a change?
ok....why not run Rexy out there? or re-sign White? let's go in COMPLETE panic mode shall we? ...just wow. He will get it together and soon. Do you REALLY think RGIII is happy with his performance? This man is a warrior let him fight.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:04 pm

And now for something completely different: Link

John Keim wrote:ASHBURN, Va. -- The focus was on leadership. And running with the ball. And dealing with criticism. All the topics are legitimate.

Meanwhile, this one is too: Robert Griffin III improved from the first game to the second -- even if his numbers were built in a blowout. The Washington Redskins saw progress; the throws he made were tougher than what he faced against the Philadelphia Eagles, when all but two of his completions traveled 10 yards or less.

Griffin III
Yes, his legs need to be incorporated more, but it was progress.

“You could see his footwork, just his base and stepping up into the throws, he felt a lot more comfortable,” Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. “This is a long process. It’s not going to happen overnight. We’ve talked about it before. This is something that he’s going to get better at and better at as time goes on.”

That’s what the Redskins need if they’re going to emerge from the rubble of an 0-2 start. It was hard to know how Griffin would fare once the season began because of his inability to practice during the spring or play in the preseason. Turns out the impact is great, even for a player such as Griffin.

He’s only run the ball nine times, and none off a designed play or zone-read option.

“This is like his second preseason game,” Redskins receiver Santana Moss said. “You’re not going to make him do a bunch of stuff we’re not sure of. Once he gets his feeling back and the coach is confident with him doing all that stuff, I’m sure they’ll let him do more. Right now I don’t think that’s what we need to do to win games … We have [the zone-read option] called, but if they’re keying on him then he’s not going to run the ball, and that’s what teams are doing. You’ll see him hand the ball off. I’m glad he’s doing that because we don’t need that right now.”

Griffin said Wednesday that he knows his legs provide a spark for the offense. It can provide a temporary solution, but it’s his passing that needs to be more consistent. Just look at his work on third downs; it’s not all on him, but his numbers aren’t good here: 7-of-19 passing; 3.1 yards per pass attempt. He’s facing more pressure in those situations.

Griffin said he felt better with his technique in the 38-20 loss to the Packers. He can still improve his overall anticipation and timing on routes, though some of that stems from the receivers getting back in sync with him, too. At times he's throwing the ball as the receiver already is coming out of his break, allowing the defensive back to drive on the ball and break it up. That's a timing built on repetition with the receivers.

“I feel like, just as a group, we’ve all been off a little bit,” Griffin said. “We’ll figure that out and we’ll get it going. We’ve been hitting in practice, in the games at times we are hitting, so I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem. It’s showing up, especially on third down, we just have got to execute better, and we will.”
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Re: How Long Should They Play Griffin Without Improvement?

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 pm

GFlanagan3 wrote:
OldSchool wrote:How many games do the rest of you think the Skins should give Griffin before making a change?
ok....why not run Rexy out there? or re-sign White? let's go in COMPLETE panic mode shall we? ...just wow. He will get it together and soon. Do you REALLY think RGIII is happy with his performance? This man is a warrior let him fight.

+1. What this guy said.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

riggofan wrote:I'm just not buying that Kirk Cousins was going to be the difference maker against the Packers last weekend.

I don't disagree with this at all, but you can't tell me that we wouldn't have had a better shot at winning with the Kirkster against the Eagles in week 1.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:59 pm

If, at any time, Mike thought that bringing in Cousins would be better for Griffin (by giving him some time) or that Cousins might give the team more chance at success - he would have done that

so ... if any fan thinks it would be better for the team for RG3 to 'rest' ... OR ... that Cousins will be better at QB for now ... that is fine but IMO he/they are completely wrong :lol:
"the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths" Gruden on RG3

RG3 needs to learn to read defenses better & utilize his talents and the players around him better

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:44 pm

IMHO all this PLAY AS IF YOU NEVER WERE GONE IS BULL! If you can't do what made you the same threat you were last year then sit down, learn to read defenses and come back when you are able to run and have confidence in that repaired knee. We don't have time to sit back and wait and hope you come back to where you where. You want to be compared to AP for healing, AP put that team on his back from the jump when he started his first game. Sorry RGIII you have looked suspect and that is even better than what I actually think. Get Cousins in there and have this passing attack work, your throwing into double coverage and behind your recievers isn't the answer IMHO!!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:We don't have time to sit back and wait and hope you come back to where you where.

Sure we do. In fact, we could wait an entire season if we had to. We're talking about a career, not a single year. smh

DaSkinz Baby wrote:You want to be compared to AP for healing, AP put that team on his back from the jump when he started his first game.

No, he didn't. Look at the stats the Vikings first six games. What was their record?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:02 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:IMHO all this PLAY AS IF YOU NEVER WERE GONE IS BULL! If you can't do what made you the same threat you were last year then sit down, learn to read defenses and come back when you are able to run and have confidence in that repaired knee. We don't have time to sit back and wait and hope you come back to where you where. You want to be compared to AP for healing, AP put that team on his back from the jump when he started his first game. Sorry RGIII you have looked suspect and that is even better than what I actually think. Get Cousins in there and have this passing attack work, your throwing into double coverage and behind your recievers isn't the answer IMHO!!!
I've seen him throw into double coverage ONCE... How many times have you seen it? He's thrown 3 picks... 2 of which were catchable tosses that were muffed by receivers... I always prefer facts over exaggeration, myself. The bottom line is, Griff has to do this... at this point there is no choice... he plays... and he learns.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 am

Countertrey wrote:I've seen him throw into double coverage ONCE... How many times have you seen it? He's thrown 3 picks... 2 of which were catchable tosses that were muffed by receivers... I always prefer facts over exaggeration, myself. The bottom line is, Griff has to do this... at this point there is no choice... he plays... and he learns.

I have no doubts that Griffin will never be benched for poor play. But would you personally want to stick with him if we are 0-4 going into the bye (if his play is the same as the first two weeks)?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football