Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:33 pm

The Hogster wrote:Now that the season is officially underway, can we let this crap topic die? Let the non-fans, politicians etc discuss this moot point in the offseason. HAIL

BEAT PHILLY

REDSKINS FOR LIFE

It will be interesting to see if PFT does, because they have a major woody to get the name changed! Mike Florio ACTS (and yes Mike it is a BS act) like the team name personally offends him like the team is named the Washington FlorioMom'saWhore!

Just Beat the EGirls! Like the bad, bad EGirls they are!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Ugh. I can't believe we're still discussing this. WE'RE PLAYING OUR FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON IN 3 HOURS!!! :)

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Here's a surprisingly different perspective from someone at ESPN. Nice to see someone taking our side in this. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96892 ... asy-sounds

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 am

The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.'
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Deadskins wrote:

This should settle the debate but it won't.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:08 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Which debate??

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:15 am

I understand that the 'name' for our team could be misconstrued but, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... when I refer to the Redskins, I have no thoughts of malice or degradation and I really doubt that most Native Americans are really upset at the name

My 2 cents
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

This is from wiki. It does not refute the point I think the Deadman is trying to make but there is something to be learned. The word below simply meant black skinned and was not originally perjorative. Same goes for Redskin and no single group, Indian or otherwise, cornered the market for the term.

Among Anglophones, the word nigger was not always considered derogatory, because it then denoted "black-skinned", a common Anglophone usage. Nineteenth-century English (language) literature features usages of nigger without racist connotation, e.g. the Joseph Conrad novella The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' (1897). Moreover, Charles Dickens and Mark Twain created characters who used the word as contemporary usage. Twain, in the autobiographic book Life on the Mississippi (1883), used the term within quotes, indicating reported usage, but used the term "negro" when speaking in his own narrative persona.

During the fur trade of the early 1800s to the late 1840s in the Western United States, the word was spelled "niggur", and is often recorded in literature of the time. George Fredrick Ruxton often included the word as part of the "mountain man" lexicon, did not indicate that the word was pejorative at the time. "Niggur" was evidently similar to the modern use of dude, or guy. This passage from Ruxton's Life in the Far West illustrates a common use of the word in spoken form—the speaker here referring to himself: "Travler, marm, this niggur's no travler; I ar' a trapper, marm, a mountain-man, wagh!" It was not used as a term exclusively for blacks among mountain men during this period, as Indians, Mexicans, and Frenchmen and Anglos alike could be a "niggur".

By the 1900s, nigger had become a pejorative word. In its stead, the term colored became the mainstream alternative to negro and its derived terms. Abolitionists in Boston, Massachusetts, posted warnings to the Colored People of Boston and vicinity. Writing in 1904, journalist Clifton Johnson documented the "opprobrious" character of the word nigger, emphasizing that it was chosen in the South precisely because it was more offensive than "colored." Established as mainstream American English usage, the word colored features in the organizational title of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, reflecting the members' racial identity preference at the 1909 foundation. In the Southern United States, the local American English dialect changes the pronunciation of negro to nigra. Linguistically, in developing American English, in the early editions of A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language (1806), lexicographer Noah Webster suggested the neger new spelling in place of negro.

By the late 1960s, the social progress achieved by groups in the United States such as the Black Civil Rights Movement [1955–68], had legitimized the racial identity word black as mainstream American English usage to denote black-skinned Americans of African ancestry. In the 90's, "Black" was later displaced in favor of the compound blanket term African American. Moreover, as a compound word, African American resembles the vogue word Afro-American, an early-1970s popular usage. Currently, some black Americans continue to use the word nigger, often spelled as nigga and niggah, without irony, either to neutralize the word's impact or as a sign of solidarity.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby gushogs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:37 am

Next in line: the Mets, derogatory name used by people that live in the suburbs or the country side.....

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm

The Hogster wrote:The name will always be the Washington Redskins. Native Americans don't even find it offensive. Fake outrage and the team should never cave.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

I think its more offensive that people are telling Native Americans who aren't offended they know what's better for them than them.

And when someone points out they have NA blood in them and they're not offended. Often they're told "that doesn't count. You're not full NA." So I guess they only want "pure blooded" people, huh. Who else has said that. :twisted:
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:45 am

I voted for Obama in the first election and then realized that he was just another politician that made promises he had ZERO intention of keeping

and now this
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... nging-name

what a waste this man is proving to be as a politician and as a president
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 am

SkinsJock wrote:what a waste this man is proving to be as a politician and as a president

Yeah what a jerk. I can't believe he said he would actually **think** about changing the name. Shame on a politician for actually considering both sides of an issue. :puke:

On the plus side, he didn't threaten to shut down the government if he doesn't get his way. So I guess he can't be all bad.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Not suprising to me as to where a fairly liberal democratic president falls on this subject. If I were the President, I would "think" about our national debt/deficit, and maybe getting a signed budget would be nice as well.

Some of the more major media sports outlets seem to be pushing this agenda....right or wrong....and I think it is wrong. I would say that the more the media latches onto this like a flea-bitten mutt latches onto a steakbone, then the more likely that eventually the owner may be compelled to change the name. Also, this is a politically correct era that we live in, and (right or wrong) it does not take a majority to be offended at any particular issue for change to occur/be forced upon us.

I wear, and have, a lot of Redskin-centric stuff.....This year, for the first time since I have been a fan, I have heard other folks comment about this subject outside of the DMV. Not a lot, but just the fact that it is now on some folks radar.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Barack Obama told the AP that if he were the Redskins owner, he would "think about changing" the name because the moniker offends “a sizeable group of people.”

Yeah, white, PC nazi's who have nothing better to do. You would think the President has more pressing issues on his plate right now. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football