Rambo Benched

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Rambo Benched

Postby SKINS#1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 am

After reading an article this morning in local papaer, looks like Rambo was benched.

Rookie free safety Bacarri Rambo did not play a single snap on defense against the Lions as the Redskins had Josh Wilson serve as a safety/cornerback. Shanahan was critical of Rambo, the sixth-round pick, when asked about the defensive alignment.

“When he gets his opportunities, he’s got to take advantage of it,” Shanahan said. “Whatever role you’re in, you better play 100 percent and make some plays. If he doesn’t play anything on defense, he better play well on special teams, and if you don’t play well on special teams and you’re not a starter on defense, you won’t be dressing.”

http://news.fredericksburg.com/sports/2 ... t-himself/

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 am

Too bad Haslett can't be benched. I swear he is the worst DC in the league PERIOD....

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:31 am

:roll:

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 am

I've said this in multiple threads, Haslett isn't the problem. Execution is the issue. Players have been in perfect position to make plays. Haslett can't make 5 guys tackle. Haslett can't make Kerrigan turn around and locate the football instead of the 6'8 TE scoring a TD. Haslett can't make Rambo not get juked out time and time again. My point is that a DC's job is to put players in position to make plays and he's done that. Keep in mind that at the end of last year on our 7 game run, a lot of it was because of the vast improvement by the defense. The offense never really had an issue putting up points but the defense couldn't get teams off the field. They did play a lot better but a handful of plays cost them dearly.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:07 am

frankcal20 I really don't agree. I think that maybe if the players respected him and actually "wanted" to play for him then maybe there would be some merit. Seems to me a defensive coordinator not only puts people in a place to succeed they would also make sure the product that they are putting out on the field is fundamentally sound. I know missed tackles happen but not this extreme. I also think that the defense would be better suited if the coaches would run plays based upon the players positive attributes and not simply what the coach feels should be called. Leaving two rookies to fend for themselves isn't a good way to coach, speaking about Amerson and Rambo. Then you put Josh Wilson at Safety? Sorry even looking at him in the booth he looks confused and lost and his team is playing the exact way he looks IMHO......

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

frankcal20 wrote:I've said this in multiple threads, Haslett isn't the problem. Execution is the issue. Players have been in perfect position to make plays. Haslett can't make 5 guys tackle. Haslett can't make Kerrigan turn around and locate the football instead of the 6'8 TE scoring a TD. Haslett can't make Rambo not get juked out time and time again. My point is that a DC's job is to put players in position to make plays and he's done that. Keep in mind that at the end of last year on our 7 game run, a lot of it was because of the vast improvement by the defense. The offense never really had an issue putting up points but the defense couldn't get teams off the field. They did play a lot better but a handful of plays cost them dearly.

Agreed.

We do not have quality safeties. Missed tackles and assignments mostly by safeties have cost us BIG plays and points.

Rambo MAY be a long term project but as of now, I do not want him on the field at all.

Meriweather goes for big hits instead of securing tackles, it cost us too.

I am so frustrated with our safeties play that I am willing to bring Reed Doughty to the line up. I am sure Mara and his sidekick will not let us bring Tanard Jackson back for a while. These safety positions have been the spots where the NFL Cap penalty hurts the most. ;furious;
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am

Shanahan is a mediocre coach. He has been for a very long time. Since he won two Super Bowls ages ago with John Elway, he's been nothing special. That's not just me hating on him. It's a fact. He misses on as many player personnel decisions as he hits on. For every Albert Morris there is a John Beck. His people skills leave a lot to be desired and while I am not in the lockerrom or practice field, I question his ability to motivate players properly. If you're happy making the playoffs every other year or two but not advancing, then you probably like Shanahan. If you want a coach who is innovative, charismatic, can make mediocre players better and is secure enough to have a strong GM making the correct roster moves, then Shanny isn't your guy

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:frankcal20 I really don't agree. I think that maybe if the players respected him and actually "wanted" to play for him then maybe there would be some merit.

How do you have any idea whether or not the players respect Haslett? Could these posts get any more ludicrous?

Personally I think the team is kind of doing Rambo a favor right now. He was really thrown into the fire the first two weeks. If he has what it takes to be a starter, he'll work his way back.

Hog

Postby spenser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Shanahan is a mediocre coach. He has been for a very long time. Since he won two Super Bowls ages ago with John Elway, he's been nothing special. That's not just me hating on him. It's a fact. He misses on as many player personnel decisions as he hits on. For every Albert Morris there is a John Beck. His people skills leave a lot to be desired and while I am not in the lockerrom or practice field, I question his ability to motivate players properly. If you're happy making the playoffs every other year or two but not advancing, then you probably like Shanahan. If you want a coach who is innovative, charismatic, can make mediocre players better and is secure enough to have a strong GM making the correct roster moves, then Shanny isn't your guy

Well played sir. Agree 100%

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:16 pm

If you don't like the guy, say you don't like the guy. Plain and simple. The draft is a crap shoot. You investigate players. You look for guys who have the skill set to play at this level and more importantly have the drive to get better. The biggest factor is being able to predict the future and how a player wil respond after a few things: getting money, being a back up for probably the first time in their careers and probably the most uncontrollable aspect is injuries like Safety Thomas who was projected to be a starter.

Shannahan isn't the only talent evaluator on the team. He doesn't have the final say. That's Bruce Allen but Bruce does take all of the coaches recommendations.

Also, to say that Shanahan can't motivate, I think he did a great job of motivating this team last year before the win streak. If you don't remember, he basically said that the team wasn't that good and that they were going to start evaluating players for future roster positions. Basically saying the team was done and they were preparing for the offseason. Perfect timing for such a comment and I think that is what he's doing now with Rambo and even some of the other players.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Haslett is not the one missing tackles out there. It's poor execution of our D that's the problem, not Haslett. Thank God Rambo was benched. He lookes completely lost out there.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Shanahan does have Final Say it was a condition of him signing here.....

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Also, to say that Shanahan can't motivate, I think he did a great job of motivating this team last year before the win streak. If you don't remember, he basically said that the team wasn't that good and that they were going to start evaluating players for future roster positions. Basically saying the team was done and they were preparing for the offseason. Perfect timing for such a comment and I think that is what he's doing now with Rambo and even some of the other players.

Yeah but that was last year when we were winning. Now we have lost a couple games, he's a terrible coach and RGIII isn't half the QB that Kirk Cousins is. ;)

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Ahhh..... and where is Philip Thomas?

Well, he hurt himself RIGHT OUT of football for this season..... :evil:
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I've said this in multiple threads, Haslett isn't the problem. Execution is the issue. Players have been in perfect position to make plays. Haslett can't make 5 guys tackle. Haslett can't make Kerrigan turn around and locate the football instead of the 6'8 TE scoring a TD. Haslett can't make Rambo not get juked out time and time again. My point is that a DC's job is to put players in position to make plays and he's done that. Keep in mind that at the end of last year on our 7 game run, a lot of it was because of the vast improvement by the defense. The offense never really had an issue putting up points but the defense couldn't get teams off the field. They did play a lot better but a handful of plays cost them dearly.

Frank,
I agree that the biggest problems on D have been in order: execution, talent, and coaching. They are in that order, but throw a blanket over them because I would say all the problem areas are close to the same amount.

However, two weeks in a row (Orakpo last week and Cofield this week) players have questioned the play calling, saying that the plan going in is good, but they just don't adjust when the opposing offenses adjust. To me that is a coaching fault. So it isn't just fans that are questioning the coaching.

I have never seen so many players running wide open as they do against our secondary. I would say the missed tackles are 100% on the players, but when WR, TE, and RB run scott free through our secondary you have to question coaching. In fact I have so little faith in our secondary that I picked up Oakland's D Moore (whoever he is) for my fantasy team just for this coming week because he will be facing our horrendous secondary!

Who was supposed to be covering J. Bell on that one play where he picked up close to 40 yards when there was no one around him for 10 yards when he caught the pass?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football