Rambo Benched

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Shanahan is a mediocre coach. He has been for a very long time. Since he won two Super Bowls ages ago with John Elway, he's been nothing special. That's not just me hating on him. It's a fact. He misses on as many player personnel decisions as he hits on. For every Albert Morris there is a John Beck. His people skills leave a lot to be desired and while I am not in the lockerrom or practice field, I question his ability to motivate players properly. If you're happy making the playoffs every other year or two but not advancing, then you probably like Shanahan. If you want a coach who is innovative, charismatic, can make mediocre players better and is secure enough to have a strong GM making the correct roster moves, then Shanny isn't your guy

Your first sentence is the same tired, lazy, factually incorrect statement that so many lame fans use to justisfy the fact that they don't like the red lobster that it makes me SMH!

Then you totally lost me on the talent evaluation rant. WOW... so wrong.

Look every talent evaluator has hits or misses, but do you really think Rex or Beck were in Shanny's long term plans as a starter with the team. They were, in Spuriers words, cheep and available. WHo would you have taken? Gabbert (and not taken Kerrigan), Dalton (and not taken Kerrigan), Ponder (and not taken Kerrigan), or Kaepernack (and not taken Kerrigan)?

Sure Shanny has had some misses but he has hit on much more than he has missed!

Come on man, you're better than that!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:31 pm

I believe that call was zone D. Whoever was playing LB was too close to the line and the safety who I believe was Wilson was totally out of position and covered the wrong area. That's going to happen when you've got guys playing out of position.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:I've said this in multiple threads, Haslett isn't the problem. Execution is the issue. Players have been in perfect position to make plays. Haslett can't make 5 guys tackle. Haslett can't make Kerrigan turn around and locate the football instead of the 6'8 TE scoring a TD. Haslett can't make Rambo not get juked out time and time again. My point is that a DC's job is to put players in position to make plays and he's done that. Keep in mind that at the end of last year on our 7 game run, a lot of it was because of the vast improvement by the defense. The offense never really had an issue putting up points but the defense couldn't get teams off the field. They did play a lot better but a handful of plays cost them dearly.

Frank,
I agree that the biggest problems on D have been in order: execution, talent, and coaching. They are in that order, but throw a blanket over them because I would say all the problem areas are close to the same amount.

However, two weeks in a row (Orakpo last week and Cofield this week) players have questioned the play calling, saying that the plan going in is good, but they just don't adjust when the opposing offenses adjust. To me that is a coaching fault. So it isn't just fans that are questioning the coaching.

I have never seen so many players running wide open as they do against our secondary. I would say the missed tackles are 100% on the players, but when WR, TE, and RB run scott free through our secondary you have to question coaching. In fact I have so little faith in our secondary that I picked up Oakland's D Moore (whoever he is) for my fantasy team just for this coming week because he will be facing our horrendous secondary!

Who was supposed to be covering J. Bell on that one play where he picked up close to 40 yards when there was no one around him for 10 yards when he caught the pass?

As I have stated there is always some excuse that is given. Jom Haslett hasn't done what's required PERIOD. Look at his facial expressions while up in the booth. He is lost, overwhelmed. He probably moved upstairs cause the players have no faith in him. IMHO even if you spit shine a turd it stinks and is still a turd. Rookies, suspensions whatever a REAL DC would overcome and have his team execute. This team looks worse every weekend. Any team plays the us they look like World Beaters. Watch come Sunday McFadden will have a career day or if Pryor plays he will be AFC player of the week. Time to face facts the Haslett experiment was and is a total failure.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Look at his facial expressions while up in the booth. He is lost, overwhelmed.

Pretty sure that's his everyday expression.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:13 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:For every Albert Morris there is a John Beck.

Who?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Shannahan isn't the only talent evaluator on the team. He doesn't have the final say. That's Bruce Allen but Bruce does take all of the coaches recommendations.

True. False. False.

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Per Bruce on Sirius NFL radio, he would say he has the final say. Sorry if there's gonna be a riff but that came down at the Senior Bowl. Basically was said that it's a full team affair and that he's in charge of making the call to the guys at the draft. Take it for what it is but sounds like he has final say. In the end, they both have to come to an agreement on a player. Plain and simple.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 pm

I've always heard Allen is more of a contracts GM, but Shanny is the one picking out the players.

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:15 pm

You may be right. Honestly I'm basing this off of an interview and stuff I've read but it's easy to get it all criss crossed. Really sounds like it's a team effort.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:15 am

Haslett has had plenty of time here and has failed to even produce an average defense in his entire tenure. He is awful.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:29 am

I think anyone believe that there's one solution to fixing this defense is setting themselves up for failure. And really, we are all guilty of setting ourselves up for disappointment.

- Rambo was a 6th round pick for a reason. He fell that far for a reason and it just wasn't because he was smoking some weed. A team that has no other choice but to start a 6th round draft pick has other issues at hand.
- Meritweather. We can see why the coaches wanted him, he proved that much. But they couldn't foresee the chronic injuries incoming. If you as a fan did, play the powerball for me please.
- Salary cap penalties.
- Lack of high draft picks.
- Suspensions of Tanard and a good chunk of our LB corps.

The issues mentioned above won't go away with a new coach. Rambo would still be a terrible tackler IF he was drafted by the SeaHawks. The difference being, he wouldn't have been thrust into a starting role with a vast majority of the other teams. We were that thin at FS. We are that strapped for cash. We are being held back by the stupid mistakes of individuals (Tanard).

Should Haz go? Maybe. But again, you're fooling yourself if you think it'll turn from night to do regardless of whom you bring in. That coach will still have to deal with the same problems. The new coach will still have to deal with an offense that at the time of this post has scored ONE TD in the 1st half of a football game this year. An offense that's going to keep a depleted and YOUNG defense on the field for a vast majority of the game. You're going to be disappointed and ultimately you/we are to blame.

Everyone's disappointed with RGIII but really... This is more than likely what we should have expected out of someone dealing with his circumstance. #shrug
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 am

Chris Luva Luva your reasons are somewhat legit, however I think you are missing something very important. First off this is year 4 of Haslett being our DC. Look at his stats the last 10 years in regards to points allowed:

In the past decade Hasletts defense has been ranked:27th, 28th, 28th, 31st 31st 21st 21st 22nd and 28th in points allowed.

I have seen so many on here say yards don't matter points do, but look at the rating! Yes we have secondary issues yes we have suspensions for people smoking weed. But that has nothing to so with an inept defensive coordinator that clearly lacks the ability to adjust, has had terrible stats backing him. Heck our secondary is only one layer of this stinky onion we call a defense. The last point is now we have players openly saying Haslett is setting them up to fail with play calls and him not adjusting. We need to face it, this has come to a head and I am willing to bet my Mercedes that if we had a DC like that dude in Baltimore this defense would not be this bad. Players play like they are coached PERIOD.....

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 am

You do realize the difference in talent level between Baltimore's D and ours?

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:You do realize the difference in talent level between Baltimore's D and ours?

Of course I do however it's not that much of a drop off and our beating them last year pretty much proves that. Change the scheme, work to the strengths of your defense and it becomes better. Haslett seems unable to do that......a man has to know his limitations. We have seen Haslett's.....

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:20 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:You do realize the difference in talent level between Baltimore's D and ours?

Of course I do however it's not that much of a drop off and our beating them last year pretty much proves that. Change the scheme, work to the strengths of your defense and it becomes better. Haslett seems unable to do that......a man has to know his limitations. We have seen Haslett's.....

Their defense is a lot different this year than it was last years.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football