Jim Haslett and the defense or lack there of.....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Jim Haslett and the defense or lack there of.....

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 am

I have read about every post from cutting various defensive players but I have not seen one post about Jim Haslett. My question is why? if you actually think back to when he was hired as our defensive coordinator what has he done to warrant him still being here? I ask this because he was fired from New Orleans, then fired from St. Louis and Mike Shanahan actually thought that he was going to succeed here? For this team to be in the 4th year of a regime this defense is pathetic, and yes I understand rookies playing I also understand Tanard Jackson getting banned but every year since Haslett has been here it's been one excuse after the next, if it wasn't us needing time to get the right players to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 it's been injuries or suspensions. Don't good teams whether the storm and prevail? Is it that much of a reasonable expectation for me to expect the same thing? This years defense is the absolute worse! The lack of ability to perform is simply depressing. I for one don't have the faith that Jim Haslett is going to right this ship. I think it's going to get worse and this years defense will be in the record books more than it is already. So I ask you, how many more loses do we have to give? How many more yards and touchdowns do we have to give before Jim Haslett is fired?

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 am

In first two games, Matthew Stafford completed 1 of 8 passes on throws of 15-plus yards. On Sunday he was 7-9 for 22.2 yards/attempt.

Jim Haslett's defense makes any other teams offense better. Time to FIRE HIM!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

No chance

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am

Great call. I'm sure if we fire Jim Haslett tomorrow, Bacarri Rambo will immediately go from inexperienced rookie to pro bowl caliber tackling machine. London Fletcher will experience an unexplained and miraculous bout of reverse aging. And Darrelle Revis will demand a trade from the Bucs to the Redskins for the league minimum. Problems solved.

What the hell are we waiting for???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 am

frankcal20 wrote:No chance

Frank,
Are you saying that there is no chance he gets fired now? Or are you saying there is no chance he gets fired at the end of the season? Or are you saying that I'm your opinion he doesn't deserve to get fired?

For me I'm a little biased because I was vehemently opposed to hiring him four years ago. I saw him as a bad DC who had been bad everywhere he went. His only defense that was any good were the years he was in Pittsburg. Those years while on the surface looked good is you look at the defense the years prior to his time and post his tenure his units were the worst of the first ten years Bill Cowher was there.

Now saying that there is no way you can fire him during the season. He needs to be gone at the end of the season. Just like Danny Smith it is time for him to go. But unlike Danny they need to go out and hire a quality replacement (it doesn't look like Burns is a quality replacement for Smith). And as much as I hate it if there isn't a quality replacement then they should keep Haz. However, I can't see how it could be that hard to find an improvement.

With that said, I give Haz credit for trying to make chicken salad with average tasting chicken (I won't go as far add to call the parts we have on D chicken S).
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Can't say what will happen at the end of the year because a lot will based on what happens the rest of the season but as of now, they won't or can't fire Haslett. Maybe during the bye week but I doubt it.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:37 pm

The ONLY way I see Haslett getting fired is if we are 1-8 or 2-7 after half our season is done. Just don't see how firing Haslett is going to make our bum secondary learn how to cover and or tackle.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:The ONLY way I see Haslett getting fired is if we are 1-8 or 2-7 after half our season is done. Just don't see how firing Haslett is going to make our bum secondary learn how to cover and or tackle.

Truth. Look, I've been on here sticking up for Haslett this morning, but I do expect that he has to get the defense to play at least A LITTLE better. That's basically what he did last year, right? Our D was terrible to start last season, but they ended up playing at least well enough down the stretch to keep us in games.

If we're giving up 400+ yards every single game this season, Haslett has to take some responsibility and it may be his job.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 pm

No doubt. Our defense HAS to show improvement. I think they did show some improvement against the Lions, but it needs to get better and better every week. I have no issue with Haslett. He should not be held responsible for the level of talent that's out there starting every week. That's Shanahan/Allen.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:43 pm

As of right now, if anyone is deserving of getting fired on the defense it's Raheem Morris. The biggest issue is the dbacks which he is directly responsible for but again, I don't think anyone should get fired at this point in the season. Too early and also playing a lot of young players. They'll learn as they get more reps.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, while I am no coach....either we have some of the worst talent on an NFL roster (defensively), or a major part of the problem is that the DC is not creative enough with what he has when gameplanning for an opponent. Heck, I still remember last season when the Bungles first play was a huge TD, and after the game the opposition claimed they knew what our defense would be/do for a particular offensive set.

Heck, we started out games vs the PAck and the Lions on good notes, defensively....then those teams offenses made adjustments, and we did not seem to counter. Our own players have hinted at the same.

Never been a Haz fan...he is NOT a DC guru. Not sure about Morris as I really do not know how much input he has on the overall D playcalling.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Eh f it, fire them both. Then we'll win 13 in a row.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Both MS & Bruce Allen strike me as conservative. So, if a change is made, it will be after the year and not during.

I think he sucks at adjusments, and he is awful on timing his blitzes. I would not shed a tear if he were axed tomorrow. I just doubt it.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 am

In the past decade Hasletts defense has been ranked:27th, 28th, 28th, 31st 31st 21st 21st 22nd and 28th in points allowed. It's pathetic so many fans here think they know what they are talking about and have the stupidity to say that it's the players and not Haslett. This one stat alone is very telling and if we as employee's had ranking this low, we would not get raises and would be fired.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 pm

SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football