Film breakdown of defense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||

Film breakdown of defense

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am

Very first play of the game.

We have Man to man coverage. Kerrigan/Rak and Fletcher are blitzing leaving one one for the rest of the defenders.

Good result. We were in our 3-4 base defense. We had Rak/Kerrigan and Fletcher blitzing making it six men on the blitz. The rest of the defenders Riley Jr on the HB, Hall on C. Johnson , Amerson on WR2, J. Wilson on WR3 and Merriwhether had deep responsibilities while keeping an eye on the TE that leaked out.

Now pay attention to the second play. Same formation but a different defesive coverage is called.

Notice how far off Kerrigan and Fletcher are from the line of schrimmage. Yes its 2nd and 17. However lining up that far off of the line gives away the coverage your in and leaves a running lane wide open. Which is exactly what happens.

same play different view. 2nd down 17

As you can see a massive running lane opened up. All because Kerrigan and Fletcher decided to cheat because they are dropping into coverage.

Result.

OK now its 3rd and 8. Notice how Kerrigan and Fletcher are lined up now. Now the must respect the run. However the same exact coverage is going to be called. Which is a Hybrid tampa 2 out of the 3-4. Fletcher will drop into deep coverage. Its really more of a cover 3 but they just call it tampa
2. Its weird doing it out of a 3-4 because traditionally its done with four men rushing.

OK so as you can see the same exact coverage was called. What I dont like is Kerrigan and Orakpo are dropping into coverage. Leaving only three men rushing the QB. Rak and Kerrigan have proven they are not that good in coverage. As you can see we had alot of men in coverage yet one man beat that coverage. Also notice Merriwhether failing on the play.

This must be part of our base defense. Here it is again observe.

Notice how both Kerrigan and Fletcher freeze even though they see the ball carrier. Thats because they have zone and are afraid of the playaction pass and the TE and WR are both in the area.

All three of the defenders miss that tackle and Merriwhether misses him as well resulting in a TD. It was doomed from the start because the run lane was already open with Kerrigan and Fletcher 5 and 9 yards off the line.
Once again our defenders fail in a zone coverage.

Here Orakpo is in coverage. Also Merriwhether again fails to make the play. More proof Rak/Kerrigan need to be blitzing full time.

And once again our LBS in coverage burnt for a TD.

You can see that they are actually in good position on the last two TDs.
However it seems pretty obvious that Orakpo and Kerrigan arent very good in coverage. Heck they arent supposed to be. They are natural defensive ends coming from a 4-3 in college. Lets just have them rush or at worst get the flats.

Now look at this here. Orakpo and Kerrigan both alleviated of coverage duties. They are free to disrupt the backfield.

They are not dropping in coverage. They are causing havoc in the backfield. Result loss for the offense.

Here again. Man to man no Zone balogney. Orakpo and Kerrigan are in the backfield causing havoc.

We had pressure on the QB. Man to man every man was covered. Result was a pick six.

I watched the game over and over a couple times. The Lions rushed for about 68 yards and Stafford passed for about 400 plus. He completed only 25 passes of 50 or so. Which is about fifty percent. So if he is at fifty fifty.
If we had taken at least 25 percent of the Zone calls into Man coverage calls/blitzes we might of lowered that percentage by a lot.

What I saw from the film. Is that the Skins defense is capable of playing a basic defense. They failed when they tried complicating things. When they put a man on man while providing adequate pressure on the QB they were successful most of the time.

Also note that every big play came when Orakpo and Kerrigan one or the other were in coverage. That tells me that either they need to learn to cover better or just stop sending them into coverage because naturally they suck at it. Thats the truth you have the proof in front of you.

Finally I dont think its all on Haslett. By design the defensive calls should work. Two TDs had three men around the ball and one had a double team. So can we really say thats Hasletts fault?
Well you can partially. If you had sent Kerrigan and Orakpo in on a blitzing doing what they do best? Maybe they would of disrupted the play in the backfield. Remember when you drop Orakpo and Kerrigan in coverage that leaves the run open and three men rushing the QB.

Also when you give Orakpo and Kerrigan Zones they just arent recognizing the play quick enough. Either they hesitate to attack the run. Or just flat out cant cover a WR which no LB can.

I did see adjustments at least. I think we will see more moving forward.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am

That's a good read. I do believe this is Haslett's fault though. It's his job to know the weaknesses, strengths, and limitations of his players and put them in position to make plays. That's just not happening.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:38 am

Two of the TDs were a basic cover 2. Every defense in the league has it in the playbook.

I am hoping and I do think it will improve. I seen differences from game 1 it got worse game 2 then it got better a lil in game three.

Just a few tweaks is what I think needs to happen. Our players must execute. Every TD had two to three men around the ball.

I agree with your point but players must execute.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am

Nice analysis, Herohamo.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Two of the TDs were a basic cover 2. Every defense in the league has it in the playbook.

I am hoping and I do think it will improve. I seen differences from game 1 it got worse game 2 then it got better a lil in game three.

Nice. Do you think it got worse in Game 2 because we were playing Aaron Rodgers instead of Michael Vick? Or just the overall defensive strategy wasn't as good?

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am

A good defensive coordinator would never put multiple people in position to fail. Haslett does this and has done this, you don't leave rookie corners and safety's on an island, you don't have linebackers that are rush guys cover zones or play man to man. That is setting your self up for failure. Sorry for me this again proves Haslett needs to go. No it's not 100% on him but it's surely 97% on him.........

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Very good analysis and write-up. Thanks for the effort.

I agree with you about using both Rak and Kerrigan solely around the line. They need to attack the run/get after the QB. While saying that, though, I have been souring on Rak. That missed tackle on the RB at the LOS last week just about burnt a bridge for me. It was on the last TD drive for Detroit. Rak had the ball carrier dead to rights at the line and let him go. THe RB picked up nine yards. Ultimately they got a first down and then a TD. Holding them to a FG might have happened had Rak simply made the play.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Very good analysis and write-up. Thanks for the effort.

I agree with you about using both Rak and Kerrigan solely around the line. They need to attack the run/get after the QB. While saying that, though, I have been souring on Rak. That missed tackle on the RB at the LOS last week just about burnt a bridge for me. It was on the last TD drive for Detroit. Rak had the ball carrier dead to rights at the line and let him go. THe RB picked up nine yards. Ultimately they got a first down and then a TD. Holding them to a FG might have happened had Rak simply made the play.

Agreed although he has been hurt he should still be able to tackle. He thinks just hitting someone is going to get them down. I really have already soured on him. I think #51 and #54 need to be given more playing time and I think Rak needs to be retaught how to tackle using the correct method and not thinking a shoulder hit will produce consistently. Actually my next step will be taking his 2 jersey's off my wall and burning them with some chicken blood :twisted:

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Nice analysis, Herohamo.
z

Thanks Irn. Just some thoughts I had.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I seen that play. However our whole defense has missed a tackle or two. Even the best in the league miss a tackle from time to time.

I just think they are overdoing it and overthinking it.

Those TDs had multiple defenders around the Ball.
Also once the offense get fully rolling our defense will see more improvement.

Oh yea and this week we face the Raiders. Who have a good running attack. However they do not pose the same threat of a Mike Vick, Aaron Rodgers or even Stafford. They just dont have a great passing game so I would think we should see a good defensive game.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:

I seen that play. However our whole defense has missed a tackle or two. Even the best in the league miss a tackle from time to time.

I just think they are overdoing it and overthinking it.

Those TDs had multiple defenders around the Ball.
Also once the offense get fully rolling our defense will see more improvement.

Oh yea and this week we face the Raiders. Who have a good running attack. However they do not pose the same threat of a Mike Vick, Aaron Rodgers or even Stafford. They just dont have a great passing game so I would think we should see a good defensive game.

It may just be me but I feel like i've noticed a few times with Rak that he's cautious when extending to tackle or get himself into a pile. I noticed a sack attempt in pre-season when he could've hit the QB with his left arm but instead tried to grab him on the back side with his right. I'm pretty sure, would have to look, that the left pec is the one he's injured twice. Maybe something to keep an eye on, maybe not, but he seems cautious and a bit scared to me, at least in terms of really mixing it up.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks man - great breakdown ...

please help me out here ... on a number of plays there were a number of missed tackles - I understand that on some plays 1 or 2 guys might not make tackles - what I'm pointing to here is that in the last game on a number of plays (not a few) at least 3 or 4 guys missed tackles that they should have made :shock: these were not hard tackles to miss, these were guys that just failed to make tackles right in front of them

I am NOT a Haslett fan but I cannot stand blaming coaches when the most basic thing a defensive player (LB or DL) HAS TO DO - make the tackle - PLEASE

rant over
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Thanks man - great breakdown ...

please help me out here ... on a number of plays there were a number of missed tackles - I understand that on some plays 1 or 2 guys might not make tackles - what I'm pointing to here is that in the last game on a number of plays (not a few) at least 3 or 4 guys missed tackles that they should have made :shock: these were not hard tackles to miss, these were guys that just failed to make tackles right in front of them

I am NOT a Haslett fan but I cannot stand blaming coaches when the most basic thing a defensive player (LB or DL) HAS TO DO - make the tackle - PLEASE

rant over

You are right players have to make tackles. Also you can see that on the touchdown plays players were in position to stop the play. Bells first TD he broke four tackles to get to the end zone.

The second TD to the Lions TE both Orkapo and Merriwhether could have broken up the play.

The last TD Riley Jr., Kerrigan and Merriwhether were all surrounding Calvin Johnson yet Stafford threw the ball within the small window.
That play could of easily been broken up.

I was trying to point out that the defense called was OK in theory had our players executed.

Every coverage has its weaknesses.
If we play strictly man to man coverage the weakness is that you only have one man and if that man gets beat and misses his tackle you give up a big play. But you should have more pressure on the QB. With more men in the offensive backfield.

Just like the weakness in the Zone coverages we are running is that only 3 men rushing the QB is not enough to generate pressure. Yet you have more men in coverage. Which should be able to cover the pass.

I too was mad at Haslett after the first two games. After watching film on all 3 games. I am not mad at Haslett anymore. I can now see that its not his fault.

Our offense has been getting better. So coincidentally our defense gave up less points this game as well. Since this game they were on the field less as well. We also have rookies at CB and Saftey.

Its a building process anyways. As the season goes along I expect to see more progress. I seen adjustments being made and players made plays this game. It just did not show up on the scoreboard.

Compare this game to the GreenBay game. GreenBay was a total disastor. While the Lions game was a very close game.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

A pic is worth a thousand words...thanks for taking time to break down those plays.

That said, I agree with others in that Haz should know the limitations of his players. If Rak and Kerrigan are not strong in coverage, then limit that exposure. Also, don't show the hand that far in advance of the play. While players have to make the plays, the coach needs to set them up for success.

Of course, would help to have some secondary players taller than 5'11". Vs the Lions, seems like all their receivers were towering over our defenders.....thus allowing Stafford to merely throw the ball high into the end zone with confidence that his receivers would come down with it.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Just to prove its not Hasletts fault. Take a look at this play here. Two DBs both blow their assignment on the same play at the same time. I guarantee this is not Hasletts fault.

Same play

Rather then help on Megatron or the other wide receiver those two DBs decide to cover the TE and HB who was covered.

I am positive Haslett did not draw it up that way.
Last edited by HEROHAMO on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football