Jim Haslett and the defense or lack there of.....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm mad about the 0-3 start too - getting rid of a coach or a player is not making this team 'better' - these guys need to do their 'jobs' - it's not 1 player or 1 coach, it's the whole team
EVERYONE needs to put more effort into practice and on the field

this is a good team - we need to be patient

we are only 2 games down and the season has 13 games left
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 am

IF cutting players or firing coaches, would make the team better, it would happen a lot more often ... good FOs find a way AND they don't over-react every time the team goes through hard times

the problem is not simply just the players, or the coaches - this team is losing games because they are not executing the fundamentals as well as they can

these players and coaches can turn this around and they will

by getting rid of components that have been working together to try and turn things around and win some games we would actually be hurting the process of making the team better

thankfully, many here are just fans that really don't have a clue and the guys in charge are not going to do anything like what 'they' think should be done :twisted:

at the right time the FOs will make the hard choices if they need to be made - that time is not now ... :roll:
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 am

FWIW, the defense against the Lions put up 7 points to our offense's 13. The defense is not the only cause for concern.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 am

Fire Haslett?

Before the season started I knew the secondary would be a cause for concern. It is playing out just about how I thought it would. Terrible.

The issue here is not coaching or play calling, it's simply a personnel problem. We didn't have a good secondary to start the season and we still don't.

Haslett is a good Def coach. But, the coach can only do so much. Guys aren't tackling, blown assignments, pressure early on the QB then fades away.

I have a feeling our personnel issues will be handled this offseason. Right now though we have to weather this storm, hope the offense can get back on track.

This team has been playing from behind all year so far. Once the offense starts playing to their true potential, less pressure will be put on our defense.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:55 am

I wouldn't fire him right now, but I'd bench him and let London Fletcher make the defensive calls. My problem with Haslett is he's not a great defensive mind. He doesn't adjust well or have good timing. He zero blitzes until it gets torched. Then does something else and gets gashed. He's always on his toes because he doesn't seem to dictate his game plan.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:46 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Fire Haslett?

Before the season started I knew the secondary would be a cause for concern. It is playing out just about how I thought it would. Terrible

Haslett is a good Def coach.

First, what makes you say Haz is s good DC? Is that a gut feeling? It certainly isn't of his past body of work which clearly demonstrates he is average at best and that is really stretching it!

So what makes you believe he is good?

Second, this secondary has all of the same staffers from last year except for Madoodoo Williams who add bad as Rambo has been was worse. So I'm assuming you thought last year's secondary was terrible too! I can't really say it wasn't but I just wanted to see if you agree.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 am

We didn't have any money to get anyone in the FA market. We drafted a CB and two Safeties. Unfortunately one of them got hurt (Thomas). There was hope that Merriweather would've come back in better shape and playing ability. Unfortunately that didn't happen and he's on the PS. I would imaging that we will be quite active in the FA market in regards to dbacks in the offseason.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am

frankcal20 wrote:We didn't have any money to get anyone in the FA market. We drafted a CB and two Safeties. Unfortunately one of them got hurt (Thomas). There was hope that Merriweather would've come back in better shape and playing ability. Unfortunately that didn't happen and he's on the PS. I would imaging that we will be quite active in the FA market in regards to dbacks in the offseason.

Who are you referring to? Meriweather has played the past 2 weeks.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

Before the season started I knew the secondary would be a cause for concern. It is playing out just about how I thought it would. Terrible

First, what makes you say Haz is s good DC? Is that a gut feeling? It certainly isn't of his past body of work which clearly demonstrates he is average at best and that is really stretching it!

Second, this secondary has all of the same staffers from last year except for Madoodoo Williams who add bad as Rambo has been was worse. So I'm assuming you thought last year's secondary was terrible too! I can't really say it wasn't but I just wanted to see if you agree.

Uh yeah, last year's secondary was terrible too for the same reason. Personnel and lack of cap space to do anything about it.

I actually agree with both of you guys. I agree with ATX_Skins that the big issue is personnel on defense. But I also agree that I don't really know if Jim Haslett is a "good" DC or not.

I think if Haslett is really "good", we should expect to see SOME kind of improvement over the next few games. Make some adjustments, motivate guys more, whatever it takes. If we find by week 8 that we're really just going to be giving up 400-500 yards a game, I would hope to see him gone at the end of the season.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:

I do think he is a good coach. And yes, that is a gut feeling. As I mentioned previously, this defense has been playing from behind all year so far. Very unlike last year. We had a good defense last year, I believe we can have a good defense this year as well given changes on offense.

What makes me think he is good is the fact that he is still employed in this organization. If he were no good, I don't think he'd still be here. Not with our current leadership at the helm. I like how we have gotten to the QB early and the schemes we run early, but as I also mentioned before that fades away quickly. We have a few guys coming back this week and I believe that will help also.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:16 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:
I do think he is a good coach. And yes, that is a gut feeling.

Fair enough; i can't argue with with your gut. Mine says he is awfull and that is why hi Defenses have always been sub par!

But like i said I can't argue with a gut feeling.

ATX_Skins wrote:What makes me think he is good is the fact that he is still employed in this organization. If he were no good, I don't think he'd still be here.

The President and Congress are still employed...

Never mind I don't want to open that can of worms!

Norv Turner had three head coaching jobs and two of them he lasted for the better part of a decade.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:What makes me think he is good is the fact that he is still employed in this organization. If he were no good, I don't think he'd still be here.

The President and Congress are still employed...

Never mind I don't want to open that can of worms!

Norv Turner had three head coaching jobs and two of them he lasted for the better part of a decade.[/quote]

That is a very good point, and maybe I should have elaborated. I have seen a very positive shift from the top down since Bruce and Shanny have been here. I am very satisfied with most of the decisions being made.

Political analogies to football hold almost no weight. I would only agree with you there if there were as many diverse candidates as there were coaches. Luckily, in most sports there is no need to choose between the lesser evil.

On a different note; who would you rather see take over next year, or after the bye week? Who is out there right now that could do a better job?

I again feel as though this team's defense has been hampered by an offense which has struggled every week in the first half. Playing from behind can absolutely ruin any game plan. I think out coaches do a very good job adjusting at the half.

The additions this week may not seem like a big deal because of who they are, but look at what they offer... Rob Jackson is back, and although he himself is not a superstar he offers the same production as some of our other LB's. This results in more rest, different packages to be run, and potentially more energy up front. Jarvis Jenkins, same thing. Getting even a couple plays rest can have a snowball effect on the front line. I feel (again gut feeling) as though this will have a big impact in the second half as we won't see our guys as gassed. Should there be more pressure on the QB in the second half, I think it will have a positive impact on the secondary.

Of course, we will see. I could be completely wrong...

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 pm

riggofan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Uh yeah, last year's secondary was terrible too for the same reason. Personnel and lack of cap space to do anything about it.

I actually agree with both of you guys. I agree with ATX_Skins that the big issue is personnel on defense. But I also agree that I don't really know if Jim Haslett is a "good" DC or not.

I think if Haslett is really "good", we should expect to see SOME kind of improvement over the next few games. Make some adjustments, motivate guys more, whatever it takes. If we find by week 8 that we're really just going to be giving up 400-500 yards a game, I would hope to see him gone at the end of the season.

With Bob Jackson and Jenkins coming back we do not see an impact in the next few weeks, I will have to agree with you guys. I feel though as if we will be seeing an immediate impact, this week even.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Those guys won't be back until after the bye. Four game suspensions, not three.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:On a different note; who would you rather see take over next year, or after the bye week? Who is out there right now that could do a better job?

Look i'm not one of those fools that thinks any good comes out of firing a DC, OC or HC during the season. It helps some times, but those situations are few and far between.

I never wanted us to hire Haz in the first place and when Wade Phillips bacme available during Jim's first season I went on record saying we should go get him. I have no idea who will be availablein the offseason but we can revisit it then.

BUT just because I don't think it makes sense to fire him now that doesn't mean I don't want to see him gone as soon as a qualified replacement can be found. I thought (and still do) that firng Danny Smith was the right thing to do (heck I was hoping he would have been the first shown the door when MS was hired), but replacing him with a coach that isn't quite ready wasn't the way to go. If they are going to fire Haz and bring in someone like that then keep him.

ATX_Skins wrote:I again feel as though this team's defense has been hampered by an offense which has struggled every week in the first half. Playing from behind can absolutely ruin any game plan. I think out coaches do a very good job adjusting at the half.

I agree tha the O and D feed off themselves but the D has been terrible at the start of most games and then it gets worse. The only adjustment I see is by the opposing teams to what our D is doing.

Rob Jackson and Jarvis Jenkins will deffinately help. Haz will need to figure a way out to t have RJ, BO, and RK on the field at the same time. And if it a situation that could result in the OLB dropping into coverage that guy has to be Jackson. I don't think BO could cover me and I run something like a 6.0 forthy. Asking BO to cover is proof that Haslett either doesn't know what he is doing or gambled and lost.

If someone asks me who I want back next off season RJ or BO I could answer that in a nano second. You have to re-sign the better player and the better player is clearly RJ!
BO = better pass rusher
RJ = better at EVERYTHING else!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football