Redskins start 0 and 3

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:The only thing that needs to change that matters is winning. Period.

So true. Our defense was crap last year too. I didn't hear a word about Haslett through that entire winning streak.

Our defense was a lot better during the win streak last year, and people around THN were talking about it plenty.

Come on, man, this is even debatable. We were the 28th ranked defense last year. If we were that much "better" during the win streak, I'm pretty sure we would have finished higher than 28.

And I was on THN last year too. If you want a reminder about what people were saying about the defense, let's pull up the Cowboys Thanksgiving day thread. Remember that? When they almost blew a 28 point lead??

The defense had the same problems last year. The big difference is that they did do a good job on turnovers (and our offense wasn't turning it over).

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:The only thing that needs to change that matters is winning. Period.

So true. Our defense was crap last year too. I didn't hear a word about Haslett through that entire winning streak.

Our defense was a lot better during the win streak last year, and people around THN were talking about it plenty.

Come on, man, this is even debatable. We were the 28th ranked defense last year. If we were that much "better" during the win streak, I'm pretty sure we would have finished higher than 28.

And I was on THN last year too. If you want a reminder about what people were saying about the defense, let's pull up the Cowboys Thanksgiving day thread. Remember that? When they almost blew a 28 point lead??

The defense had the same problems last year. The big difference is that they did do a good job on turnovers (and our offense wasn't turning it over).

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Yards don't mean jack squat. Points are all that matter.

I don't think you believe this. What's more valuable, a play that generates 99 yards of offense but doesn't score, or the 1-yard run that gets you 6 points? It's simplistic and unrealistic to say the 99-yard play doesn't mean anything.

But the 99 yard play doesn't mean anything without the play that scores. But we were talking defenses, and you know that. I don't care how many yards our D gives up, as long as the other team doesn't put points on the board.

Again, that's unrealistic. You give the Jaguars the ball on the 1 and they are going to score against the Seahawks. So it doesn't make sense to say that the field position (and yards that get you there) don't mean anything.

Our defense isn't going to stop teams from scoring if they can't pin them in their own territory. When you stop the team within their own 20-30 yard line and force a three and out, you give your offense great field position. And then, even if your offense doesn't score, they can return the favor by pinning the other team inside their own 20 or 10. All of these things feed off one another and are significant.

Sure field position plays a big part in the odds of scoring and being scored against, but that's beside the point. If the other team does not score (maybe against all odds to the contrary), it still makes no difference how many yards the defense gave up.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:

Wow, now that's what I call "high-level" analysis.

I think the more pertinent issue is the "how"; not the what. I think everyone on the planet grasps the concept that winning is the goal.

As things currently stand, we are on path to become the worst defense in NFL history. We can't continue to maintain the status quo. "Winning" doesn't just magically happen. Success is built.

I'm really sorry. I just can't be as football savvy as you. :roll:

It pisses me off to no end to see these smug posts from fans who think they have all of the answers. Look, firing Haslett is NOT going to make any difference in wins or losses. The players executing is what needs to happen. "Fire Haslett" is such a cop out it's not even funny. We're not even into our bye week yet and people want coaches fired. And it's only week 4! You do not build success by firing Haslett. That's admitting defeat.

I agree. Its not like theirs a viable option for Haslett right now. If there was it would be pig headisness not admiting a mistake was made. There's no one on the coaching staff can do better so toughing it out until seasons end is the best route.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football