The Loser Papers - 2013 Edition

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 pm

emoses14 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Amerson read the play, and positioned himself to make a play SHOULD IT come his way. It did... He did... and HE should get credit... it was an excellent defensive play. It was the kind of thing that quarterbacks don't start to see well until they have lots of time under center, true... but that would have happened to Pryor in exactly the same circumstance... Amerson would have read the route, and undercut it.

Nope. If Pryor had played, that play would have been a touchdown, no doubt. If Pryor plays, obviously the skins lose. It is idiocy to deny this.

:roll:

I live here in California. My brother is a devoted Raiders fan. I know Pryors skill set. Passing is not one of them. I have seen plenty of Raiders football. Pryor is the better runner Flynn is the better passer.

Flynn presented the Redskins defense with a problem since we did not have film on him yet. We had film on Pryor who is mainly a scrambler. Much like Tim Tebow but faster yet a lil thinner.

Pryor rarely makes accurate throws. He is fast and can run. Thats about it.
So basically our defense would be trying to stop the running QB who cant pass worth a lick.

Thats a much easier task then trying to stop a passing game. I seriously doubt you have even watched Pryor play to make such an assumption to how we would of lost had Pryor played? I say it would of been worse had Pryor played.

Not gonna bust your balls about this response. It makes sense if you responded to it before you read the 2 after it. I was being sarcastic.

Ok no worries bro. LOL! Maybe I should of read the rest of the responses. LOL! My bad man. Just trying to defend our team is all. :D
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 am

Anyone else feel bad for Flynn? Or the Raiders organization for signing him?

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:43 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Anyone else feel bad for Flynn? Or the Raiders organization for signing him?

No. Regardless of play, he's getting paid handsomely. As for the Raiders, their lot is of their own choosing. Meh.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:Anyone else feel bad for Flynn? Or the Raiders organization for signing him?

No. Regardless of play, he's getting paid handsomely. As for the Raiders, their lot is of their own choosing. Meh.

Good point. Forgot about that.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 pm

I remember a lot of folks around here saying we should sign Flynn and save our draft picks for other positions.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Deadskins wrote:

I remember a lot of folks around here saying we should sign Flynn and save our draft picks for other positions.

"You're welcome" - Coach Shanahan.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 am

From the pages of the Chicago Tribune:

Bears lose Jay Cutler to injury, fall to Redskins 45-41
Bears linebacker Lance Briggs and cornerback Charles Tillman also injured

By Rich Campbell, Chicago Tribune reporter
6:11 a.m. CDT, October 21, 2013

LANDOVER, Md. — Josh McCown pulled on the gray jacket of his slim-fitting suit, tightened his navy tie and slid on his brown wingtip shoes without tying the laces. Jay Cutler had been on the Bears' team bus for 15 minutes, having been transported there by cart because of his injured groin. McCown, then, hurried off to complete the game-day duties of a Bears quarterback.

With the poise of an 11-year veteran, McCown explained to reporters his role in the Bears' 45-41 loss to the Redskins. In that 10-minute exchange, he epitomized a team that limped home dogged by uncertainty.

McCown was pleased by his teammates' effort, hopeful for some auspicious medical examinations this week and resigned to the fact his performance was not good enough to win Sunday.

"All the things that we want to do, as far as the team, are still in front of us," McCown said. "I think we've just got to take our break, get healthy, some of these guys on defense get a little bit more healthy and see where we are."

And with that, the Bears retreated to their week off with a pile of rubble to sift through.

In losing for the third time in their last four games, the defense surrendered 499 yards to a Redskins team that entered with a 1-4 record. The Redskins drove at least 74 yards for each of their five touchdowns.

"We've got to do better," defensive end Corey Wootton said. "This is the one that's really frustrating."

Injuries continued to accumulate. Redskins running back Roy Helu scored the decisive touchdown run with 45 seconds left, while Bears linebacker Lance Briggs (left shoulder) and cornerback Charles Tillman (right knee) were on the sideline.

For all the injuries and breakdowns on defense, though, Cutler's injury cast the greatest shadow. He is scheduled for an MRI exam Monday. Some of his teammates feared an extended absence, but coach Marc Trestman clung to optimism because Cutler did not suffer a joint or ligament injury.

"It's not a knee," Trestman said. "It's not an ankle. It's not a hip. It's just a groin injury."

Trestman, though, said he did not have a sense of how serious the injury is, despite the fact Cutler could not stand upright while limping to the locker room.

"Just going to wait and see what the doctors say," Trestman said.

The Bears, however, did start planning for life without Cutler. Free-agent quarterback Jordan Palmer, who was with the Bears for part of the preseason, is scheduled to visit Halas Hall on Monday, he said in a phone conversation.

Cutler left the game at the 9:47 mark of the second quarter after Redskins defensive lineman Chris Baker looped around right guard on a stunt and sacked him. He stayed down and immediately grabbed his left thigh and hip area.

On the play, defensive end Kedric Golston engaged right guard Kyle Long and pushed inside, while Baker looped around from the right. Normally, Long would have passed Golston off to center Roberto Garza, but Garza was occupied by blitzing linebacker London Fletcher.

"It's an impossible play to pick up," Long said.

Long alleged that Golston held his jersey to prevent him from getting off the block. That, however, was not evident from the television broadcast.

"That's a technique they use," he said. "I'll have to look at the film, but I definitely felt like I was held. It's something that we knew coming in."

McCown said he was "bummed" for his friend Cutler, but he kept the Bears in the game. Trestman called several quick passes to the perimeter, which not only were part of the original game plan for Cutler, but they also helped McCown get acclimated in his first regular-season game since the 2011 season finale.

"When you pick the ball up and throw it as a quarterback — and you complete it — you start to feel a good rhythm happening. We executed those well, and that's what I'm pleased about, but it certainly helps you getting in a rhythm."

McCown completed 14 of 20 passes for 204 yards, including a 7-yard touchdown pass to tight end Martellus Bennett that gave the Bears a 41-38 lead with 3:57 to play.

The defense, however, collapsed. The Redskins marched 80 yards in 12 plays, converting three third downs on the way and casting doubt on where the Bears' season is headed.

"They had to drive the whole field, and they drove it on us," Wootton said. "We have to stop them. It was on us, and we didn't come through."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 1915.story

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 am

And from the Chicago Sun-Times:
Bears lose Jay Cutler, back-and-forth game to Redskins, 45-41
BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter October 20, 2013 1:40PM

LANDOVER, Md. — When Jay Cutler writhed in pain on the FedEx Field turf in the second quarter Sunday, gusts of wind could have been mistaken for the gasps of Bears faithful back home.

“Obviously,” guard Kyle Long said, “there’s an initial panic when you’re out there and No. 6 is on the ground.”

Panic? The Bears lost more than Sunday’s game, 45-41, to the 2-4 Redskins. They lost momentum, and now enter the bye week at 4-3.

They lost, at various points in the game, Brandon Marshall, Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman, to injury.

And they lost Cutler, who rolled over on top of Chris Baker during the defensive end’s first career sack in the second quarter.

Cutler’s groin was X-rayed Sunday and will receive an MRI Monday.

“He’s a tough competitor, so when you see him down and he stays down, you know it’s something serious,” wideout Earl Bennett said.

One indication of how serious: the Bears will sign Jordan Palmer, a veteran quarterback they cut in camp.

The line between a Cutler strain and a tear appears to be the same size as the Bears’ playoff aspirations, though backup Josh McCown did his best in front of 83,147 fans.

He went 14-for-20 for 204 yards and one touchdown, and led the Bears to 24 second-half points.

“I was bummed,” he said. “I said a prayer, grabbed my helmet, got some throws in and got ready to play.”

Matt Forte ran for three touchdowns, the most gaudy a 50-yarder in the third quarter where his jump-cut juked De Angelo Hall.

The Redskins’ Roy Helu, Jr., had three rushing scores of his own, including a three-yard game-winner with 45 seconds to play to cap a 80-yard, 12-play drive.

“They made more plays than we did today,” Bears middle linebacker Jon Bostic said.

In the second quarter, Devin Hester returned a punt 81 yards for a score to help shake off the cobwebs of Cutler’s injury and knot the game. Brian Orakpo’s 29-yard interception return off Alshon Jeffery’s tip had given the Redskins a 17-10 lead.

“The words ‘Keep believing’ kept floating around in the huddle,” Marshall said.

With the Bears defense depleted, Robert Griffin III led the Redskins to touchdowns on four of his last six drives. The quarterback went 18-for-29 for 298 yards and two scores, and had 84 yards on 11 carries.

The Bears and Redskins traded touchdowns in the first four minutes of the fourth quarter, with Aldrick Robinson’s 45-yard catch of an arcing pass countering Forte’s six-yard run.

Robbie Gould’s 49-yard field goal pulled the Bears within four. They attempted and recovered an onside kick, but the play was called back when Eric Weems was ruled offside.

The Bears then forced a punt, and McCown marched 67 yards, throwing a seven-yard scoring pass to Martellus Bennett to take a 41-38 lead with 3:57 to play.

Griffin said the Redskins “had to win a shootout,” and they did on the last drive.

“Guys get paid to get up and dust themselves off,” Marshall said.

Cutler will learn soon enough if he’ll have the chance.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football ... 45-41.html

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

This thread is too short. Needs more wins.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 am

emoses14 wrote:This thread is too short. Needs more wins.

+1
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

JSPB22

Re: The Loser Papers - 2013 Edition

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:41 am

Here we go with the first of what I hope to be a multi-week run of TLP editions. From the pages of U-T San Diego:

May have been Chargers' last chance
By Kevin Acee 4:41 p.m. Nov. 3, 2013

Philip Rivers connects with Danny Woodhead on a 6 yard pass play that was initially called a touchdown but reversed. The chargers failed to convert a touchdown after this play settling for a field goal then losing in overtime 30-24. — Sean M. Haffey

LANDOVER, Md. — They were so close.

”It was all there for us to win,” head coach Mike McCoy said. “It was all there for the taking.”

And now they are so far.

The Chargers were two feet from being hailed as a team of destiny, a group that could overcome its own mistakes and win on the road. This was the new Chargers, it seemed.

Then three plays of dubious derivation failed. The Chargers lost, 30-24, in overtime to the Washington Redskins on Sunday in a game they essentially had to win.

So, as it is, we can pretty much chalk this season up to a growing experience and resign ourselves to waiting another year for the playoff drought to end.

“Totally disheartening, terrible, just awful way to lose,” safety Eric Weddle said. “I’m so tired of giving games away when we have it in the bag and we just find a way to lose. It’s just so devastating. Just awful.”

Redskins fans cheered lustily when a ruling that Danny Woodhead had scored a go-ahead touchdown with 21 seconds remaining was overturned on review. It seemed the FedEx Field faithful were hoping against hope, given the fact the Chargers had plenty of time to run three plays from inside of a yard.

Evidently, what they were hoping was that Philip Rivers would audible to a slow-developing run play out of the shotgun on first down, then throw a fade to Antonio Gates on second down before essentially throwing away a third down pass.

If so, they were right. Amazingly.

A half-dozen times, McCoy was asked different ways to talk about the thinking by he and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt on that goal-line series. Every time, McCoy gave a variation of the same answer -- that he would not second-guess the play calling.

“If one of those three plays worked, there would be no questions asked,” McCoy said.

Considering that neither of those first two plays had a very high chance of success, that “if” was a lot bigger than the six-inch gulf that felled the Chargers.

And, for the record, just as in Tennessee when McCoy accused the assembled media of questioning him only because something didn’t work, questions were rampant in the press box (and, probably, in living rooms across America) from the time Rivers handed off to Woodhead on first down on Sunday.

Few people defer to coaches' playcalling more than I do. You watch film with people who play and coach the game and you learn every time how much you don’t know.

But in this instance, no defensive alignment, no matchup issue, almost nothing you could imagine could convince me that the Chargers trying to run power at least once was not the right thing to do.

Chargers players resolutely took the fall for not executing the play calls.

Regardless, they had a gnawing feeling as overtime began.

It wasn’t like they had scrambled just to the 30 and then made a game-tying field goal as time ran out.

“We were so close,” Rivers said.

“Anytime you don’t capitalize when you’re so close,” center Nick Hardwick said, “it always seems to come back and get you.”

Still, this team’s main issue – the reasons it won’t be playing in January -- is more than the McCoysenhunt offense choking on its own bile.

We knew the Chargers defense was their weakest link. We just had more opportunity to see it Sunday.

The Redskins beat the Chargers the way the Chargers had beaten people -- by staying on the field. Just twice all season had their opponent won the possession battle-- and never like this, holding the ball for 34 minutes in regulation and then marching unobstructed for an overtime touchdown.

We can talk about Rivers being a little off, about one of his receivers running the wrong way on a second-quarter interception and another dropping a sure third-down conversion and not fighting for the ball on another pick. We can wonder what happened to the running game the Chargers had so proudly established the previous two weeks.

But what had been mostly masked of late was again plainly evident Sunday.

The Chargers are not accomplishing anything with this defense.

It must be noted that the defense made a momentous third-down stop to give the offense that last chance. But that was one of just five times in 17 chances the Redskins did not convert on third down.

The Chargers failed to get the Redskins off the field on six straight third downs from the end of the second quarter to the beginning of the fourth quarter as the Redskins went from trailing 14-7 to leading 21-14.

Weddle eventually got around to a brave, “We’ve just got to bounce back. We’ve bounced back from losses. We’ve shown we can do it.

Even then, he trailed off with this acknowledgment: “But we needed this one. We threw it all out there. We tried.”

Yes. And, ultimately, they weren't good enough. They blew it.

To some extent, this coaching staff being second-guessed is a victim of what they have wringed out of this team to have it at 4-4 midway through the season. As an end, it’s been impressive.

But a missed opportunity such as what they let slip away Sunday is not something this team can overcome.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/nov ... ance-acee/

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 am

“Totally disheartening, terrible, just awful way to lose,” safety Eric Weddle said. “I’m so tired of giving games away when we have it in the bag and we just find a way to lose. It’s just so devastating. Just awful.”

Um, no. Sorry Eric, but that's what the Redskins almost did. We spotted you a defensive TD, and had two FGs blocked. We dominated the game, except for a few key plays which allowed the Chargers to remain in it. It should have never even been within your reach.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:

Um, no. Sorry Eric, but that's what the Redskins almost did. We spotted you a defensive TD, and had two FGs blocked. We dominated the game, except for a few key plays which allowed the Chargers to remain in it. It should have never even been within your reach.

Agree 100%. Was at the game, and I never felt we were overmatched by the Bolts. Sure, I thought that we were doomed when the Bolts had first and goal from the half friggin yard line with 26 or so seconds to go....but their stupid playcalling combined with our D which came through in that tough situation....well, I thought our W was well earned and not that we lucked out and beat a team that was superior to us.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football